Hello, that was easy.

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Hello, that was easy.

#1  Postby scherado » Oct 10, 2018 9:40 pm

[this no longer left intentionally blank, which is funny...]

It was so unusually easy to register that I thought.... something was wrong! "It's like butter," came to mind.

Well, I want to discuss many things on a genuine message board, forum as I loathe facepalm, and have no use for twitter.

My first message boards, or fora, were Ann Coulter (political), Bjork (fansite), Milkymoon (Joanna Newsom fansite)

I have spent some time on philosophy and science boards, but never stayed long.

I spent two years debating, informally, Biological Evolution, Origins, the nature of time, and such, on a fine forum, with the word "fairytale" in the url, and not knowing anything about the subject, I was successful--in not getting banned--for two years. What I brought to the table was, and is, what I call "referent analysis," a method of critical thinking, which I use to determine the truth-value of anything. I was introduced to this in the book, The Tyranny of Words, by Stuart Chase. I've dedicated some number of years reading Friedrich Nietzsche's works, though in English, my favorite being The Use and Abuse of History, translated by Adrian Collins. My most read book, repeatedly, is Allan Bloom's The Closing of the American Mind, which made me invest serious time in reading Nieztsche.

Perhaps, I should leave it at that, for now.
Last edited by scherado on Oct 11, 2018 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
scherado

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hello, that was easy.

#2  Postby Ironclad » Oct 10, 2018 11:04 pm

Err.. hello! :wave:
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Bahrain (bh)
Print view this post

#3  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 12:59 am

Ironclad wrote:Err.. hello! :wave:

How do I delete my bleeping account?? It was very easy to register but I can't figure out how delete my account.

I am not interested in someone approving my post. THanks.
scherado

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » Oct 11, 2018 4:36 am

scherado wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Err.. hello! :wave:

How do I delete my bleeping account?? It was very easy to register but I can't figure out how delete my account.

I am not interested in someone approving my post. THanks.

You can check out, but you can never leave. :evilgrin:
God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2018 4:45 am

scherado wrote:What I brought to the table was, and is, what I call "referent analysis," a method of critical thinking, which I use to determine the truth-value of anything. I was introduced to this in the book, The Tyranny of Words, by Stuart Chase.

Just to get some context, I dug up a review of Chase's book, which was published in 1938; the review came soon after, I'm guessing. The reviewer notes that an effective function of Chase's work would be to drive readers to investigate his sources, great thinkers of the caliber of Aristotle and Nietzsche. We had a great debate back on RDF with the intriguing title, "Relativism is self-refuting". This has forever warned me about some of the ways philosophy is discussed in chat-rooms. Just for the record, I don't accept the notion that "anything" has a truth value. As the song goes:

If you ain't wrong, you're right
If it ain't day, it's night
If you ain't sure, you might
Gotta be this or that

If it ain't dry, it's wet
If you ain't got, you get
If it ain't gross, it's net
Gotta be this or that

If it ain't sis, you can't miss
It's got to be your brother
Can't you see it's gotta be
One way or the other?

If it ain't full, it's blank
If you don't spend, you bank
If it ain't Dee, it's Frank
Gotta be this or that
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#6  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
scherado wrote:... a method of critical thinking, ... to determine the truth-value of anything. ...
Just for the record, I don't accept the notion that "anything" has a truth value. ...

Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant about "anything": I meant something asserted, a statement, anything one reads or hears, is this-or-that factual, and so on. For example, when I read an essay or article in a publication, what we used to call newspapers and such, I need to evaluate what I read for it's truth-value. The same in a publication by a biological evolutionist.
scherado

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm

scherado wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
scherado wrote:... a method of critical thinking, ... to determine the truth-value of anything. ...
Just for the record, I don't accept the notion that "anything" has a truth value. ...

Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant about "anything": I meant something asserted, a statement, anything one reads or hears, is this-or-that factual, and so on. For example, when I read an essay or article in a publication, what we used to call newspapers and such, I need to evaluate what I read for it's truth-value. The same in a publication by a biological evolutionist.

Oh, I understood what you meant, but really, if you're going to be all rigorous about truth value, you might as well be careful about your expression, or else somebody might say something. Not saying anything is possible, but you have to keep quiet about it. It's a lot of work to comment on the truth value of anything, because some of it is not worth your time.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby theropod » Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Oh, it’s “evolutionist” is it?

The proper term, in case you don’t know, is evolutionary biologist, and the precision of this descriptive term matters. Why? Because when you add the “ist” suffix you are applying a belief system, like Baptist, to those reporting empirical evidence based on testing observational reality. While it is possible for mistakes to be made, and confirmational biases to enter into the examinations, further studies almost always correct such errors. None of such efforts are based on any belief system.

RS
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 3:29 pm

theropod wrote:... The proper term, in case you don’t know, is evolutionary biologist, ...
RS

All I meant was something on the subject of biological evolution.
scherado

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2018 3:31 pm

scherado wrote:
theropod wrote:... The proper term, in case you don’t know, is evolutionary biologist, ...
RS

All I meant was something on the subject of biological evolution.

You mean, something on the fact of biological evolution.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Do you think mankind evolved from, to pick one common ancestor, tree shrews scherado? Oh yeah, and hi.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 3:33 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:... you might as well be careful about your expression, or else somebody might say something. ...

What does that mean?
scherado

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:...You mean, something on the fact of biological evolution.

Is that a question without a question mark?
scherado

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2018 3:39 pm

scherado wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:... you might as well be careful about your expression, or else somebody might say something. ...

What does that mean?

It's the predicate of something that started with an "if" clause. Did you know that in some programming languages, you can't even have an if-then without an or-else, because the result of the if-test might be false, and if you didn't have an or-else, you would not know what the fuck to think.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2018 3:42 pm

scherado wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:...You mean, something on the fact of biological evolution.

Is that a question without a question mark?

No, it's more along the lines of, "When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby theropod » Oct 11, 2018 3:45 pm

He means there are some of us here on RatSkep that have been in the trenches for many years and when we see such terms used it sets us to DefCon 5. Those of us which have a professional background in the sciences will not hesitate to go to battle stations in such an event. I think you will find that precise use of terminology matters to those of us with trench foot, and our willingness to give quarter died long ago. Think of the thousand yard stare, and understand we love the smell of napalm in the morning.

RS
17 years off-grid and counting.

Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2018 3:49 pm

theropod wrote:we love the smell of napalm

not to mention the swell of facepalm

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#18  Postby scherado » Oct 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
scherado wrote:

What does that mean?

It's the predicate of something that started with an "if" clause. Did you know that in some programming languages, you can't even have an if-then without an or-else, because the result of the if-test might be false, and if you didn't have an or-else, you would not know what the fuck to think.

I still don't know what you meant.

FYI, I programmed in a dozen different languages between college and when I left my programming job.
scherado

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 11, 2018 3:54 pm

Do you think humans share a common ancestor with gorillas scherado?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 11, 2018 3:58 pm

scherado wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
scherado wrote:

What does that mean?

I still don't know what you meant.

FYI, I programmed in a dozen different languages between college and when I left my programming job.

So you say. I don't want to know how many you used. I want to know what you learned about languages.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members