Hi all

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Hi all

#81  Postby hackenslash » Sep 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:Two things. I don't know where you live Quaker, but if you live in Britain I have the feeling you've been watching Simon Shama's The Story of the Jews, which illustrates exactly this.

I've been enjoying this a great deal, not least because it's too long since Schama did anything. I've always been a fan.

I feel very strongly about my right to draw on my Judeo/Christian mythic heritage, and have a short story (based on Miriam's story in the OT) which exemplifies this. If you are interested in reading it (I think it's 7 pages) let me know in a PM with an email address and I'll send it to you.

I certainly feel very strongly about my right to draw on my christian mythic heritage, because it's the best tool for its own demolition.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#82  Postby HomerJay » Sep 15, 2013 7:23 pm

iamthereforeithink wrote:Fables, myths and parables are a time tested method of imparting wisdom. And most people with more than 2 functioning brain cells understand that these are intended to be allegorical/ metaphorical and not statements of fact. When people mistake myths for factual accounts, that's when we have a problem.

yes, it depends very much on where we draw the distinctions between myths and other forms of fiction.

Where they are held as sacred, for example, they are very different from pulp fiction or cowboy stories.

I'm not sure it helps our understanding of myths if we reduce them to the same as comic books.

But to embue myths with more power than comic books seems like a big mistake too, except for their limited distribution and more universal nature, mainly due to the limited resources available to people at the time.

I'm not sure the difference between fact and fiction is even that distinct, the 'true life' stories in women's magazines; I Slept with my Father's Boyfriend and Now I'm Having His Baby seem as popular as ever, perhaps more so and allow some sort of vicarious morality play for the weak of mind. A bit like the awful self help section at the library, where the distinction between fact or fiction is based solely on people's ability to interpret the text according to their own experience.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#83  Postby chairman bill » Sep 15, 2013 8:10 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Celebrating Santa Clause is celebrating a myth but it does not make it fact or have any truth.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/sex-dawn/201112/have-merry-trippy-christmas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-london/plain/A6084218
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Clive Durdle » Sep 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Welcome!

But are you a Trinitarian Quaker or an Atheist Quaker? :-)
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle

Name: Clive Durdle

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby trubble76 » Sep 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi. I like your porridge oats.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 16, 2013 2:21 pm

trubble76 wrote:Hi. I like your porridge oats.

No I preferred the real thing. :whistle:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#87  Postby chairman bill » Sep 16, 2013 2:38 pm

trubble76 wrote:Hi. I like your porridge oats.

It's 'porage', FFS. Just 'cos the Quakers can't spell properly ...
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Blip » Sep 17, 2013 12:10 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
I have split off the discussion on the basis of moral behaviour, reason etc to its own thread here. It had several potential homes: as you see, I have placed it - at least for now - in Social Sciences and Humanities.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#89  Postby cavarka9 » Sep 24, 2013 6:50 am

Quaker wrote:Just to say 'hello'

I'm interested in all ways people make sense of the universe, their lives, suffering, joy, etc,. from Atheism to Zoroastrianism. I have explored a few along my way and currently have a home in Quakerism because of its acceptance that we all need to find our own paths which may be highly spiritual or not, but that what matters most are the values we adopt in daily life.

Accepted, values in this world matter the most, welcome :cheers:
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

#90  Postby allen » Oct 30, 2013 4:19 am

Hello All,
My name is Allen Thomas. I am the newest member here. I am interested in making new friends.
allen
Banned Spammer

Name: alllen

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Welcome New Members