Hi everyone :)

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Hi everyone :)

#41  Postby solidatheist » Apr 21, 2014 9:41 am

Macdoc wrote:All we are trying to do SA is steer your language use and mindset a bit away from the vernacular of skydaddy types in which "truth" figures far too often.

I still think religious people shouldn't be given the monopoly of the word 'truth'. Forget about the fact that we can't actually say anything is truth, religious people can't grasp that concept. As I said, if we allow them to be the only ones with truth, and we can't one up them on that for the mere fact that we can't claim we have the truth, then they win by default. And as a former christian, this is absolutely true. ie, scientists can't claim they know the absolute truth, so therefore they are fallible and are only trying to make excuses for their own stupid concepts.
solidatheist

Name: Mason Torrey

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Ironclad » Apr 21, 2014 9:53 am

:wave:

Hello, and welcome into the lifeboat ! This is our greeting for all new members and contains some useful stuff for you.

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to take a look at our New Members' Welcome Pack which will give you some helpful resources such as how to modify your membership display settings, how to navigate around the forum, point you to some threads which address commonly asked questions from newbies, and gives you some handy links to other sites which will help you develop your skepticism. It also contains our forum rules, which we ask that you abide by at all times.

If you're new to this type of phpBB software on forums, you might like to take a look at our Handy Hints for Posting On The Forum, which will show you how to change your text, insert images & youtube clips, and do some other cool stuff.

And finally, as a house warming present for you, here's a few laughs for your entertainment.

:beer:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#43  Postby hackenslash » Apr 21, 2014 10:27 am

solidatheist wrote:
Macdoc wrote:All we are trying to do SA is steer your language use and mindset a bit away from the vernacular of skydaddy types in which "truth" figures far too often.

I still think religious people shouldn't be given the monopoly of the word 'truth'. Forget about the fact that we can't actually say anything is truth, religious people can't grasp that concept. As I said, if we allow them to be the only ones with truth, and we can't one up them on that for the mere fact that we can't claim we have the truth, then they win by default. And as a former christian, this is absolutely true. ie, scientists can't claim they know the absolute truth, so therefore they are fallible and are only trying to make excuses for their own stupid concepts.

The problem is that truth is such a nebulous construct. What exactly do they win? There's more truth in a glass of malbec than can be found in any theistic construct. Theism doesn't have any truth, only wibble.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby scott1328 » Apr 21, 2014 9:20 pm

hackenslash wrote:There's more truth in a glass of malbec than can be found in any theistic construct. Theism doesn't have any truth, only wibble.

You've actually found a Malbec that doesn't taste like ground up aspirin stirred with cigarrette ashes into grape Kool-aid? (which even so leaves a better taste in the mouth than arguing with theists)
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Cyberguy » Apr 22, 2014 4:26 am

solidatheist wrote:

I tend to agree with this for practical reasons.

Although we all know perfect knowledge is impossible to attain, and logically speaking the entire Universe could be a giant simulation, or may have been created spontaneously last Tuesday with a complete false history, we should still not express this as a realistic possibility in arguments with theists.

Because they hear one tiny doubt, and take from it that we are actually uncertain about our rationalist worldview. For this reason I am publicly a 7 out of 7 on Richard Dawkins atheist scale. My actual doubt in the correctness of the atheist worldview is infinitesimally small, but to express it leaves the theist with the impression that, unlike them, I am unwilling to commit to my position.

We can still talk to theists about confidence levels with results and measurements, but be very careful of being misconstrued. They are looking for any doubt on our side in order to save their argument.
Cyberguy

Religion? No thanks.
Cyberguy

Name: Stephen Minhinnick
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#46  Postby trubble76 » Apr 22, 2014 11:32 am

Welcome aboard :cheers:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby NamelessFaceless » Apr 22, 2014 9:56 pm

Welcome solidatheist! :cheers:

I also came out of Christianity into atheism and even now I'm in the closet. I feel like I know where you're coming from not wanting theists to have a "monopoly" on Truth, but just because they claim to have it, doesn't make it so. I've accepted that I will probably never know "the truth" but I do know Christianity is not it. There's just too much evidence against it. But you're right that there really is a different mindset when you believe you have The Truth. I still attend church on a regular basis and listen to the Christians around me trying to understand atheists. It's almost funny. Of course, they believe that there's "no true atheist" because everyone believes, we're just in denial. :roll:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Welcome New Members