Hi I'm new and have a question

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Hi I'm new and have a question

#1  Postby jello » Feb 25, 2014 7:55 pm

hi
i just joined today and i'm having a hard time finding my way around. i'm looking for the link that allows me to change my settings and/or add an avatar. apparently it's under the rational skepticism banner on top of the page from what i read, but it's not there in my case.
can anyone help me out?
jello

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Hi I'm new and have a question

#2  Postby Onyx8 » Feb 25, 2014 8:03 pm

Welcome aboard, you should be good to go now.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 25, 2014 8:07 pm

jello wrote:hi
i just joined today and i'm having a hard time finding my way around. i'm looking for the link that allows me to change my settings and/or add an avatar. apparently it's under the rational skepticism banner on top of the page from what i read, but it's not there in my case.
can anyone help me out?

It's the UCP, left from the (0 new messages, bit.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Pulsar » Feb 25, 2014 8:56 pm

can anyone help me out?

I suspect you're using Firefox, which has the very annoying bug that part of the menu isn't visible in the standard grey layout. Drag with your left mouse button to highlight the entire top area of the page, and you should be able to find the menu. When you've found it, go to the User Control Panel to change your settings. If you change the layout to 'prosilver' (in the 'board preferences'), the entire menu will be visible.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5  Postby scott1328 » Feb 25, 2014 8:57 pm

:wave:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby hackenslash » Feb 25, 2014 8:58 pm

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 25, 2014 9:00 pm

Pulsar wrote:
can anyone help me out?

I suspect you're using Firefox, which has the very annoying bug that part of the menu isn't visible in the standard grey layout. Drag with your left mouse button to highlight the entire top area of the page, and you should be able to find the menu. When you've found it, go to the User Control Panel to change your settings. If you change the layout to 'prosilver' (in the 'board preferences'), the entire menu will be visible.

:scratch: Did not have that problem when I signed up.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Pulsar » Feb 25, 2014 9:07 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote: :scratch: Did not have that problem when I signed up.

I did, in fact I still do, even after I upgraded my Firefox version. I can't see the menu in the grey 'ratskep' board style (it took me a while to find the login button when I wanted to join). Perhaps it only affects Firefox in Linux, I don't know.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#9  Postby james1v » Feb 26, 2014 12:58 am

Hi! :cheers:

It took me two years to know what you want to know, stick around, it may come back to me. Meanwhile, im stuck with this god-damn avatar! :scratch:

:)
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jello » Mar 02, 2014 3:09 am

thank you i see it there now. i don't remembering seeing it there when i posted but maybe i just missed it!
and hi everyone thanks for the welcome :)
jello

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Briton » Mar 02, 2014 8:35 am

Hi Jam.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 02, 2014 11:59 am

Pulsar wrote:

I did, in fact I still do, even after I upgraded my Firefox version. I can't see the menu in the grey 'ratskep' board style (it took me a while to find the login button when I wanted to join). Perhaps it only affects Firefox in Linux, I don't know.

The bug you describe hasn't appeared in any of my incarnations of Firefox on Windows, and that's going all the way back to 3.0 on Windows XP. Here's a snapshot of RatSkep as it appears in Firefox on my Windows 7 laptop:

RatSkep In Firefox Snapshot.jpg
RatSkep In Firefox Snapshot.jpg (410.2 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Made of Stars » Mar 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Hello jello, stay mellow. :awesome:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Pulsar » Mar 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Calilasseia wrote:The bug you describe hasn't appeared in any of my incarnations of Firefox on Windows, and that's going all the way back to 3.0 on Windows XP. Here's a snapshot of RatSkep as it appears in Firefox on my Windows 7 laptop:

Here's a snapshot of mine:

ratskep.png
ratskep.png (294.62 KiB) Viewed 1190 times

Someone else had the same problem: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/feedback/log-in-log-out-tech-t39387.html
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#15  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
Pulsar wrote:

The bug you describe hasn't appeared in any of my incarnations of Firefox on Windows, and that's going all the way back to 3.0 on Windows XP. Here's a snapshot of RatSkep as it appears in Firefox on my Windows 7 laptop:

RatSkep In Firefox Snapshot.jpg

Looks like someone had a field day with the report button :awesome:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 09, 2014 11:34 pm

Welcome jello! :Cheers:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members