How did you find the lifeboat?

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

How'd you find us?

PM or avatar ad. on RDF
28%
Facebook
2%
rationalia
10%
Thinking Aloud
1%
Secular Cafe
0%
One of the other befriended forums
9%
Reference by friend, family member, or aquaintance
13%
Other
36%

Total votes : 434

Re: How did you find the lifeboat?

#281  Postby Rasmunsen » Nov 21, 2014 6:38 pm

Griz_ wrote: <snip> Sounds as though I got here the same way as you. Recently I was looking for another Folding team and stumbled my way to the forum. It could have been an easier process.

Yes. I folded many moons ago with an American Indian team that no longer exists. I'm not Indian but Caucasian, but I wanted to show solidarity as an American, and the guy's mother had died of cancer. I tried to start up again a year or two ago, but I kept getting my thumbs caught in the machinery and gave up. The new software is very appliance-like, so here I am. I looked at the various team names trying to find a fit for my unique perspective, and Atheists, etc. was close enough. I searched the web on the name and got a lot of local chapters at universities, and I could not even tell at first that there was indeed a God-stomper Central, so to speak.

Where is a good sub-forum to suggest that someone link here from Stanford?
The egg came first.

Rasmunsen

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#282  Postby Griz_ » Nov 21, 2014 6:42 pm

Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#283  Postby Griz_ » Nov 21, 2014 6:55 pm

I think you have brought up an important point. Atheists, Skeptics and Humanists are drawn to the forum and hopefully some will get involved in Folding. But you and I are examples of Folders who find the forum. Both should be encouraged and made as easy as possible.

I hope you enjoy it here. I know that I have found this to be a wonderful forum for intelligent, thoughtful conversation and debate. And the humour is pretty darn good as well!
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#284  Postby kiore » Nov 23, 2014 6:52 pm

In answer to your question about the folding team, the main team discussion thread is here currently but actually started on another forum and the team is not actually a Ratskep team but open to all. Many current team members (as far as I can tell) are not members or even visitors here. The ASH team grew from the membership of the Richard Dawkins forum team after that forum exploded and died and at that point the founders wanted a broader base.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#285  Postby Rasmunsen » Nov 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Ah. Thanks. I'm not at all up to speed on the whole rational thinking whatever-you-want-to-call-it, movement? I was expectng to find a website, and that's why I ran right past this place at first in my search. I looked at Stanford's setup, and it looks like the team's "Founder" has to change the link from the Web Control. I still think it would be good to point here, and move it again later if anything changes again. I wonder who the founder is in Stanford's mind.
The egg came first.

Rasmunsen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#286  Postby kiore » Nov 23, 2014 8:43 pm

Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#287  Postby Jango » Dec 20, 2014 2:56 am

It was pointed out to me.
Brainstorm take me away from the norm.
Jango

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#288  Postby Metonia » Jan 12, 2015 3:23 am

I was searching information on a petrofied potato turned fossil rock turned possible fossil egg to potential fossil concretion. After much searching and reading and more searching I clicked on a fossil link in my search results and it brought me here. (well not HERE but to the earth science section titled "what is this fossil" or was it "need help identifiing this fossil" ) something like that :scratch: lol.

And I liked what I saw and wanted to ask my own question on a fossil so I registared. I will look around :popcorn: , post in new member section :coffee: and maybe :whistle: stay and post more.
Metonia

Name: Darlene;Warner
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#289  Postby econ41 » Feb 17, 2015 7:54 am

I just dropped in to welcome a new member acon44 - I helped him to register up this afternoon Eastern Aust (Daylight) Time.

Moderately astute members should be able to decode our relationship.

econ41
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#290  Postby acon44 » Feb 17, 2015 7:58 am

ta bro
acon44

Name: Alan Conley

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#291  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Feb 17, 2015 8:04 am

econ41 wrote:I just dropped in to welcome a new member acon44 - I helped him to register up this afternoon Eastern Aust (Daylight) Time.

econ41

One of your socks? :dopey: Good to see u Eric! :thumbup: :dance:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#292  Postby acon44 » Feb 17, 2015 8:07 am

econ41 wrote:I just dropped in to welcome a new member acon44 - I helped him to register up this afternoon Eastern Aust (Daylight) Time.

econ41

thanks brother. :thumbup:
acon44

Name: Alan Conley

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#293  Postby econ41 » Feb 17, 2015 8:15 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:One of your socks? :dopey: Good to see u Eric! :thumbup: :dance:

Me!!!! Socks!!! Nah....

Me liddle brutha.

He has just discovered Dawkins, Hitchen et al. Came visiting this arvo to collect half my library for research.

Helped him register from my place - 120km south of Sydney as you know. He is South West suburbs and returned home then got lost logging on. Forums not his sort of Internet activity. I misjudged familiarity. :oops: Mea culpa.

I've been trying to remote lead him into the art of forum posting. I failed initially - took about four efforts - he will need to build confidence in using the forum software.

PLUS he just got a "no way can you post till a moderator approves" sort of message.

May take him a while to overcome his newbie nerves.

...and since I've now blown his cover his referee checks may not work out. :oops:

the "A" is Alan. The "44" obvious.
Last edited by econ41 on Feb 17, 2015 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#294  Postby econ41 » Feb 17, 2015 8:17 am

Jango wrote:It was pointed out to me.
Greetings Jango.

econ41 AKA ozeco41.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#295  Postby redwhine » Feb 17, 2015 8:22 am

econ41 wrote:The "44" obvious.

:think:

I.Q.?

:hide:

Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#296  Postby econ41 » Feb 17, 2015 8:25 am

redwhine wrote:
econ41 wrote:The "44" obvious.

:think:

I.Q.?

That makes him 3 points better than me? :thumbup:

...could be - he is not an engineer.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#297  Postby THWOTH » Feb 17, 2015 8:29 am

Great to see your name bubbling to the top again. Hope you and yours are well. :wave:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#298  Postby econ41 » Feb 17, 2015 8:43 am

THWOTH wrote:Great to see your name bubbling to the top again. Hope you and yours are well. :wave:

Hi Penrose.

As you and others probably remember my forum interests originated in the engineering explanations of WTC 9/11 collapses. 14 Nov 2007 on the Dawkins forum.

Broadened into biological science, creationism and US Politics/Constitutional Law esp progress of Same Sex Marriage. Then had health (depression) problems which led to my resignation as Mod in the Dawkins Forum era. And my overall interest drifted back to my engineering core - and 9/11 WTC collapse discussion has been dead here and on most other forums for last 2-3 years.

Meanwhile other interests progressing. My health and rcon43 good - minor issues due anno domini.

BTW I spent three weeks in UK October last with eldest daughter, son in law and two grandsons.

- 5 days around home town Leeds. Wanted to take Grandsons to visit the Infants School where I started my schooling a few years back. Said I wanted to see if any of the teachers remembered me. ( :naughty2: )

rcon43 and I visited the local Rotary Club - they had one older member (92) who was a primary school teacher at the school I attended. Neither of us remembered the other but shared some reminiscences. Visited the old formerly coal mine owned terrace house where I was born - delivered in front room by village midwife. Informed current owner of history of his house. And met the neighbours who turned out to be distant relatives. Small world stuff.
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#299  Postby econ41 » Feb 17, 2015 9:26 am

I see that my brother's post has been approved and now appears in the sequence of the original time of submitting. Post #292

So a bit of anachronism in my subsequent posts which referred to it before it actually "appeared".
econ41

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#300  Postby Ironclad » Feb 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi econ41, good to see you again :wave:
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge