It's good to be here!

Hello everyone!

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

It's good to be here!

#1  Postby Cnidarian_King » Aug 01, 2016 6:15 am

I am a college student in the United States currently studying for my psychology who has also taken interest in biological anthropology. This forum has been immensely helpful for finding peer-reviewed papers and being exposed to the articulation of the ideas therein. I have found the writings of Calilasseia particularly helpful in educating myself on evolution and how to properly combat the anti-science sentiments that I encounter.

I grew up in a "Christian Science" family (pardon the oxymoron) and abandoned the belief in its literal doctrines at about 14 years of age. However, I retained a kind of spiritual and theist point of view for a while and got myself into all kinds of bullshit like astrology, crystals, levitation, meditation (to transcend reality, not just relax), aura reading-you name it. I also touted the idea that you could "think away" cancer which came entirely from my religious background; the faith healing is possibly the most venomous part of the Christian Science religion.

Unfortunately, I did not care about science or really any subject in school up until I completed my high school diploma and began taking community college courses. Learning became exhilarating and I began to question my thoughts more commonly. I have learned about the dangers of ignorance and have ever since abandoned a significant amount of New Age and pseudoscience nonsense. I was “agnostic” (like there might be a higher power) until I watched the Unbelievers by Lawrence Kruass and Richard Dawkins.

I am here to exchange ideas with fellow skeptics and perhaps share my knowledge on subjects that I am well-informed.

It’s great to meet you all! :grin: :drunk:
"Living with uncertainty is hard for many people, and is one of the reasons why people prefer religious truths that are presented as absolute." -Jerry A. Coyne, Faith vs. Fact
"An egg is an impossible enclosure for Deity."- M.B.E.
Cnidarian_King

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: It's good to be here!

#2  Postby Adco » Aug 01, 2016 9:19 am

Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy your stay here. There is a lot to learn every day.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Evolving » Aug 01, 2016 9:31 am

Good first post, and good to see you. :cheers:
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Aug 01, 2016 9:34 am

Hello and Welcome! :cheers:
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby Fallible » Aug 01, 2016 10:29 am

Hi. :cheers:
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan B » Aug 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Welcome. Yes, I've learnt a lot from Cali (and others) but it isn't all 'serious' :smile: . We like to have a laugh sometimes. Do you have any, er, interesting anecdotes from the 'Christian Science' part of the world? We don't seem to get many CS believers here.

Enjoy your stay and long may it be. :cheers:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 01, 2016 2:34 pm

Welcome aboard oh monarch of the spineless. :)
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby laklak » Aug 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Welcome!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DougC » Aug 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Hi. :cheers:
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Cnidarian_King wrote:
I grew up in a "Christian Science" family (pardon the oxymoron) and abandoned the belief in its literal doctrines at about 14 years of age. However, I retained a kind of spiritual and theist point of view for a while and got myself into all kinds of bullshit like astrology, crystals, levitation, meditation (to transcend reality, not just relax), aura reading-you name it. I also touted the idea that you could "think away" cancer which came entirely from my religious background; the faith healing is possibly the most venomous part of the Christian Science religion.

I also transitioned from organized religion to atheism by way of new-age bullshit. It's interesting how that gradient works. Glad that you've made it all the way over to the skeptic side. I might like new-age culture more if it were less predatory and more like how they want us to think it is. But looking in from the outside, it all sort of collapses into a bunch of bloodthirsty charlatans taking advantage of painfully naive and under-educated people. New-age culture causes tension between my desire to maximize individual self-determination and my desire to protect others from predatory assholes.

Anyway, enjoy your stay here. I look forward to disagreeing with you. :cheers:
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Cnidarian_King » Aug 01, 2016 5:37 pm

Alan B wrote:Welcome. Yes, I've learnt a lot from Cali (and others) but it isn't all 'serious' :smile: . We like to have a laugh sometimes. Do you have any, er, interesting anecdotes from the 'Christian Science' part of the world? We don't seem to get many CS believers here.

Enjoy your stay and long may it be. :cheers:

In particular, the papers on Drosophila pseudoobscura have helped with explaining speciation events to creationists. But yes, I often :lol: at some of the moments on these threads like the Arch threads and the nutty things believers say thread. I was going to start my own thread this week on CS in Theism to explain more about the faith. I'm sure that will provide some entertainment :) . At times, I cringe at the stuff I used to believe and say though.

Onyx8 wrote:Welcome aboard oh monarch of the spineless. :)

:clap: Thank you Onyx.

Adco wrote:Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy your stay here. There is a lot to learn every day.

Fallible wrote:Hi. :cheers:

Thommo wrote:Hello and Welcome! :cheers:

Evolving wrote:Good first post, and good to see you. :cheers:

DougC wrote:Hi. :cheers:

laklak wrote:Welcome!

I appreciate your welcomes :cheers: and will catch all of you in the threads :) .
"Living with uncertainty is hard for many people, and is one of the reasons why people prefer religious truths that are presented as absolute." -Jerry A. Coyne, Faith vs. Fact
Cnidarian_King

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Cnidarian_King » Aug 01, 2016 6:48 pm

I also transitioned from organized religion to atheism by way of new-age bullshit. It's interesting how that gradient works. Glad that you've made it all the way over to the skeptic side.

I agree that there is a continuum from skepticism to faith and that the criterion you use to accept one claim or another is always more flimsy and inconsistent towards the faith end. I have been curious about the details that led me to doubt my convictions. I'm sure that I still have some unjustified beliefs that need to be questioned.

I might like new-age culture more if it were less predatory and more like how they want us to think it is. But looking in from the outside, it all sort of collapses into a bunch of bloodthirsty charlatans taking advantage of painfully naive and under-educated people. New-age culture causes tension between my desire to maximize individual self-determination and my desire to protect others from predatory assholes.

Absolutely, that is very well put. I'm not sure what my ideal new age movement would look like since all of it appears silly to me now. Maybe if they liked discussing the actual chemistry of how their 'magic' crystals formed in the earth rather than claiming that they can cleanse my drinking water, I could like it better. Again, the alternative medicine in lieu of medical care is almost certainly the most dangerous part though. People who I know and love partake in benign and not-so benign ridiculousness and it is probably due to naivety, under-education and a good heaping pile of confirmation bias. One example is that a friend of mine claimed that she had "manifested" the recovery of his own mother by praying and using positive visualization when in truth, she was rushed to the hospital with a blood sugar of 20 and was revived there :roll:. She's diabetic. A couple of well-educated family members of mine dislike the idea of genetic engineering and the possibility of cultured meat for, as they put it, "spiritual reasons". The tension between your desires is well-founded but the charlatans often screw with our self-determination when they deliberately lie about the facts.

Anyway, enjoy your stay here. I look forward to disagreeing with you. :cheers:

I wouldn't expect anything less :grin: . Oops, I'm not there yet with the quoting mechanism.
Cnidarian_King

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 01, 2016 6:48 pm

Welcome :wave:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby The_Piper » Aug 01, 2016 8:44 pm

The Ghost of MR. Woodchuckles smiles down upon you. :tongue:
Welcome! :cheers:
"I'm not really sure what I'm talking about" - Tucker Carlson
The Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife thread.
The Self Taken Pictures of Scenery thread.
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby DougC » Aug 01, 2016 8:45 pm

:this:
Is a good thing. :coffee:
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby The_Piper » Aug 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Mr. Woodchuckles smiles down upon Doug too, as a contributing member of the cute thread. :smoke: :tongue:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby DougC » Aug 01, 2016 9:02 pm

(FFS man, what the hell are you doing to my hard won, cool-man, street cred.)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby The_Piper » Aug 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Cool guys like cute animals too. Just look at me! :naughty2:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby DougC » Aug 01, 2016 9:15 pm

:smoke:
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Cnidarian_King » Aug 02, 2016 12:51 am

The_Piper wrote:The Ghost of MR. Woodchuckles smiles down upon you. :tongue:
Welcome! :cheers:

Is your avatar a picture of the deceased? If so, I will start building a shrine. :drunk:

The_Piper wrote:Cool guys like cute animals too. Just look at me! :naughty2:

DougC wrote:(FFS man, what the hell are you doing to my hard won, cool-man, street cred.)

Easy now, there's enough cuteness to go around. No need to fight. :whistle:
Cnidarian_King

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members