Sane Skeptic Site

Rude behavior on other skeptic site(s)

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Sane Skeptic Site

#1  Postby jakesteele » Jan 11, 2016 3:15 am

Hi, I'm Jake Steele, and I've come here after searching the internet for a sane skeptic site. I have posted on the former JREF site, now International Skeptics and have found the atmosphere too toxic to tolerate any longer. I'm hoping that this site is about, well, rational skepticism where people can have different opinions about topics and can go back and forth with civility and courtesy to each other. If not, I'll have to move along and find something different. But I am more than willing to give this a try simply because of the name. We'll see what happens.

Thank you,

Jake Steele
jakesteele

Name: Thomas H. Fredrickson

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sane Skeptic Site

#2  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 11, 2016 9:07 am

International Skeptics is quite a controlled site and so I am surprised you found it lacking in discipline. As far as here
is concerned well we are very sceptical but I am so sure about sane though. I suggest you get a feel for the place and
make yourself known before deciding. We can be very intense so if that is not your bag then you may want to go else
where but no rational site I know of is perfect. So I hope you do like it here but it is up to you. But welcome any way
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#3  Postby Nicko » Jan 11, 2016 10:50 am

You'll love it here.

Unless you're some kind of feminist, SJW, communist apologist for ISIS or one of those misogynist, libertarian, fascist apologists for the USA.

Otherwise, you'll find us all sound as a pound.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Briton » Jan 11, 2016 11:09 am

surreptitious57 wrote:...we are very sceptical ...

:o
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby JaniceInToronto » Jan 11, 2016 3:47 pm

Everyone here is a special little snowflake in their own right.

Welcome aboard.
JaniceInToronto

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sendraks » Jan 11, 2016 3:53 pm

This site is fine as long as you are prepared to divorce yourself from rationality and descend into some very weird commentary at times.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Murmur » Jan 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Sendraks wrote:This site is fine as long as you are prepared to divorce yourself from rationality and descend into some very weird commentary at times.

That describes every, or nearly every, forum on the Internet.
Murmur

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 11, 2016 4:52 pm

I was about to say: I'm afraid this forum, too, is on the internets.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Briton » Jan 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Murmur wrote:
Sendraks wrote:This site is fine as long as you are prepared to divorce yourself from rationality and descend into some very weird commentary at times.

That describes every, or nearly every, forum on the Internet.

Not every forum on the internet is 'promoting' rationalism.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Jan 11, 2016 5:04 pm

"Sane" might be pushing the boat out a bit, but it's definitely amusing.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Macdoc » Jan 11, 2016 5:06 pm

There are some corners of sanity ...avoid the Philo section for fear of your sanity ...you have a slightly better chance then.

As for civility ...well it's not the fucking forté here but most are reasonable until they get mad. :whistle: :coffee:

JREF modding is in the dumpster again.

Welcome :cheers:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 11, 2016 5:47 pm

jakesteele wrote:Hi, I'm Jake Steele, and I've come here after searching the internet for a sane skeptic site. I have posted on the former JREF site, now International Skeptics and have found the atmosphere too toxic to tolerate any longer. I'm hoping that this site is about, well, rational skepticism where people can have different opinions about topics and can go back and forth with civility and courtesy to each other. If not, I'll have to move along and find something different. But I am more than willing to give this a try simply because of the name. We'll see what happens.

Thank you,

Jake Steele

Time to wheel out a few important guidelines, which will be very informative as you continue your explorations here.

You'll notice in the Forum Users' Agreement that we have a rule forbidding personal attacks. Which was put in place specifically to deal with one of the well-known discoursive fallacies at source. However, attacks upon ideas are subject to no such restriction, on the basis that you are not your ideas. Human beings are, if they exert at least a bare minimum effort to do so, capable of changing the ideas that they regard as worth preserving. The trick is to alight upon the discoursive tools that allow one to be properly selective with respect to this.

As a corollary of the above, ideas are a free-fire zone for whatever critique, including invective, one chooses to deploy. Indeed, one of the operating maxims here can be succinctly rendered as bad ideas exist to be destroyed. No one will gaze unkindly upon you for acting in accordance therewith, except of course those intent upon peddling bad ideas.

However, you are strongly advised to take account, in addition, of certain precedents that have been set here, with respect to discoursive duplicity, particularly florid examples of which can be readily examined and determined to be such over in Creationism. Duplicitous discoursive conduct will invite immediate, resolute and frequently robust response. In particular, one offence that is regarded as particularly irksome by the regulars, is the repeated peddling of unsupported or previously destroyed assertions, in a manner intended to coerce others into treating those unsupported or previously destroyed assertions as fact. Unfortunately, some pedlars of bad ideas fail to learn this lesson, and the moment their precious assertions are fed into the shredder, their response exhibits fulminatingly pathological characteristics. Feel free to treat those responses (whilst mindful of the provisions against personal attack) with suitable withering disdain.

But that's one of the features distinguishing this forum from several others, namely, it wasn't brought into being to give an easy ride to Enrapturing ConfectionsTM, or other tinselly holograms mistakenly treated as precious gems by fetishists thereof. We're civil, but ruthless, which I think is the most succinct encapsulation you could wish for of our modus operandi. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Macdoc » Jan 11, 2016 6:56 pm

:whistle: I think Cali got civil and ruthless inverted in his heirarchy :
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Gnu Ordure » Jan 11, 2016 9:43 pm

Calilasseia wrote: We're civil, but ruthless, which I think is the most succinct encapsulation you could wish for of our modus operandi. :)

Cali, I've only been here a couple of weeks, so I have a limited perspective on the forum. But my first impressions here are that discussions contain a lot of swearing and personal attacks.

I've only got involved properly in one thread, and a quick scroll through the last few pages of it throw up these kinds of phrases:

how about you chill the fuck out

No, bullshit, bull-fucking shit, you're being deliberately disingenuous.

Is it fun to talk shite whilst misrepresenting other poster's opinions?

take your head out your arse

What a load of bollocks.

What the fuck nonsense are you spewing?

Seriously this is like the type of shit a 5 year old would come up with

What's bullshit is your running off at the mouth with dumb fucking indictments of whole groups of people that now include 911 operators and police dispatchers.

Oh FFS, give it a rest!!! More hurling BS I've refuted and/or responded to multiple times. You're either being utterly moronic, or dishonest, in failing to understand about the 911 call being handled horribly badly,

Only one of those comments was addressed to me, so I'm not reacting personally to this aggression. And six different members are quoted.

Anyway, I wouldn't call this kind of stuff 'civil'. Do you?
Gnu Ordure

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby campermon » Jan 11, 2016 9:47 pm

^There is a report button.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)

Birthday
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Gnu Ordure » Jan 11, 2016 11:33 pm

^^^ Sure, but I was just describing what I see, Campermon; I wasn't planning on doing anything about it.
Gnu Ordure

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 11, 2016 11:35 pm

None of those things would constitute anything beyond inflammatory posting anyways. They're not explicitly in violation of the FUA.

Civility isn't required here and it's not the forum's tone. I'm not sure why anyone would pretend it is. Civility isn't even necessarily good.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Macdoc » Jan 12, 2016 2:08 am

I'd say generally people are civil until they are fed up with seen it before from the same few....then the gloves come off.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Briton » Jan 12, 2016 10:07 am

Gnu Ordure wrote:
Is it fun to talk shite whilst misrepresenting other poster's opinions?

Only one of those comments was addressed to me, so I'm not reacting personally to this aggression. And six different members are quoted.

Anyway, I wouldn't call this kind of stuff 'civil'. Do you?

I resent you taking my remark out of context and the false accusation of aggression. I was not aggressive, I was retaliating in anger, perhaps wrongly, to what I saw as a gross misrepresentation of my views. Apparently though the comment I was replying to is fine because it doesn't contain a terrible word like 'shite'. I am sorry if you found that upsetting.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#20  Postby TopCat » Jan 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Angrily and emotionally reacting (or appearing to react) to a displeasing post is not, of course, the same as ruthlessly destroying bad ideas.

Invective-ridden shouting matches never destroy any ideas at all, in fact they confuse and entrench them.

I've also commented elsewhere on the angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin distinction between "you're lying" and "you're a liar", which IMO simply legitimises personal attacks and is quite corrosive.

Personally, I don't give a flying fuck about the swearifying, indeed when it's done well I positively enjoy it, but wading through all the shit to find the good stuff, and finding that actually there is only the shit, is very tiresome, and it's why I don't hang out here so much. Not that I'm asking people to give a shit whether I like it here or not, I hasten to add - just sayin'...

If I could completely suppress the Politics and Current Affairs forums from the New Posts button, it would make it a lot easier to avoid the dross.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Welcome New Members