Why am I here? Let me tell you.

A hello thread

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: DarthHelmet86, campermon

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#21  Postby Nicko » Oct 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Welcome, Katz.

Katz wrote: I had heard that the blood moon was the closing of a great window (with a span of 10 years or so). That negativity completely enveloped my forum.


My fault, I'm afraid.

The window was only kept open via my performance of an obscure ritual involving the combustion of vast quantities of the flowering heads of a certain plant and inhalation of the resultant heady vapors on the occasion of each lunar eclipse.

My abstinence, it seems, has cost your former forum it's mojo. For that, I am heartily sorry.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
User avatar
Nicko
 
Name: Nick Williams
Posts: 8641
Age: 44
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#22  Postby Fallible » Oct 02, 2015 2:13 pm

Why you little...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#23  Postby Sendraks » Oct 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Aaaaaaaaand OP gets jumped on.


Don't get jealous. :P
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
User avatar
Sendraks
 
Name: D-Money Jr
Posts: 15239
Age: 104
Male

Country: England
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#24  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Ah, well . . . Welcome! :cheers:
User avatar
NamelessFaceless
 
Posts: 6202
Female

Country: USA (Pensacola, FL)
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#25  Postby Katz » Oct 02, 2015 5:52 pm

HAHA! You guys think those little jabs could run me off? I've gotten FAR worse.

I'm not necessarily a "kook", but there is some reasoning behind the mass negativity. Hell, I heard from other's that we are experiencing a toxoplasmosis epidemic. Other's have said there's an entity that attacks our forum members......I've heard it all.

All I can say is that I felt a shift in attitude recently. What caused it isn't something I can pinpoint.

Thanks for the laughs LOL I like this place. :grin:
User avatar
Katz
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 10

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#26  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Katz wrote:HAHA! You guys think those little jabs could run me off? I've gotten FAR worse.


I want to very genuinely reassure you that I have absolutely no desire to run you off. I am sure that goes for most, if not everyone here.

But I do reserve the right to be skeptical about astrological pronouncements about blood moons and the surrounding garbled new age nonsense.


Katz wrote:I'm not necessarily a "kook", but there is some reasoning behind the mass negativity. Hell, I heard from other's that we are experiencing a toxoplasmosis epidemic. Other's have said there's an entity that attacks our forum members......I've heard it all.


Ummm.

Toxoplasmic epidemics caused by the blood moons?

Are you leg-pulling? :)


Katz wrote:All I can say is that I felt a shift in attitude recently.


As if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.


Katz wrote:What caused it isn't something I can pinpoint.


I'd suggest considering indigestion. :cheers:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27990
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#27  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Nicko wrote:Welcome, Katz.

Katz wrote: I had heard that the blood moon was the closing of a great window (with a span of 10 years or so). That negativity completely enveloped my forum.


My fault, I'm afraid.

The window was only kept open via my performance of an obscure ritual involving the combustion of vast quantities of the flowering heads of a certain plant and inhalation of the resultant heady vapors on the occasion of each lunar eclipse.

My abstinence, it seems, has cost your former forum it's mojo. For that, I am heartily sorry.


And you would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those crazy kids! :shakefist:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27990
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#28  Postby Alan B » Oct 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Is your 'late' forum off limits or can we all have a peek?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 84
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#29  Postby Katz » Oct 02, 2015 6:26 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Katz wrote:HAHA! You guys think those little jabs could run me off? I've gotten FAR worse.


I want to very genuinely reassure you that I have absolutely no desire to run you off. I am sure that goes for most, if not everyone here.

But I do reserve the right to be skeptical about astrological pronouncements about blood moons and the surrounding garbled new age nonsense.


Yes, of course! That is one of the high value perks of a forum, eh? You won't find me spouting off about that, I just find the topic interesting. I know horoscopes are mostly bullshit, too, but I like to read mine and imagine that it's giving me direction. Yes, I own a magic 8 ball.

Spearthrower wrote:
Katz wrote:I'm not necessarily a "kook", but there is some reasoning behind the mass negativity. Hell, I heard from other's that we are experiencing a toxoplasmosis epidemic. Other's have said there's an entity that attacks our forum members......I've heard it all.


Ummm.

Toxoplasmic epidemics caused by the blood moons?

Are you leg-pulling? :)


Not joking in the slightest.


Spearthrower wrote:
Katz wrote:What caused it isn't something I can pinpoint.


I'd suggest considering indigestion. :cheers:


Year-long indigestion? The human race should see a doctor about that. :lol:
User avatar
Katz
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 10

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#30  Postby Alan B » Oct 02, 2015 6:34 pm

I used to 'delve' into this horoscope stuff - but that was only when I was using it to pull a bird... :naughty2:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 84
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#31  Postby Katz » Oct 02, 2015 6:35 pm

Alan B wrote:Is your 'late' forum off limits or can we all have a peek?


May we have a bite to eat before I show off my innards?

Really though, it's brutal. Maybe after I'm here a while.
User avatar
Katz
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 10

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#32  Postby Alan B » Oct 02, 2015 6:43 pm

That's OK. As you wish.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 84
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#33  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 02, 2015 7:07 pm

Katz wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Katz wrote:I'm not necessarily a "kook", but there is some reasoning behind the mass negativity. Hell, I heard from other's that we are experiencing a toxoplasmosis epidemic. Other's have said there's an entity that attacks our forum members......I've heard it all.


Ummm.

Toxoplasmic epidemics caused by the blood moons?

Are you leg-pulling? :)


Not joking in the slightest.



Hmm, then it really does raise the question what drew you to a forum called 'rational skepticism' and why, upon joining that forum, you made 2 extraordinary claims contrary to the stated goals and interest area of said forum within your first few posts.

Unless, of course, you just like being controversial. If so, I'd suggest heading on over to the Debunking subforum. You could try the usual route of posting in the science subfora, but I expect your post would ultimately wend its way back to Debunking before long.

What Rachel was referring to earlier is that it is customary - if not exactly obligatory - to not robustly address people's fantastical contentions in their opening post, so sadly you're not really getting the full responses you might desire!

See you in Debunking! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27990
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#34  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 02, 2015 7:37 pm

I think I speak for everyone here when I say, "That avatar is simply lovely. Where did you get that avatar?"
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 18770
Age: 34
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#35  Postby Fallible » Oct 02, 2015 7:59 pm

I'm gonna guess from the internet.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#36  Postby laklak » Oct 02, 2015 8:06 pm

Welcome katz. Welcome to jungle, we got fun and games.

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Well with the number of WiFi networks around me who knows?


Tell me about it. One of my neighbors named their network "surveillance van 12". I like that. Mine is "Hell Portal 7".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 67
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#37  Postby Spinozasgalt » Oct 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Fallible wrote:I'm gonna guess from the internet.


And that passes for a scientific theory? Not goodynuff.
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
User avatar
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator
 
Name: Jennifer
Posts: 18770
Age: 34
Male

Country: Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#38  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 02, 2015 8:11 pm

laklak wrote:Welcome katz. Welcome to jungle, we got fun and games.

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Well with the number of WiFi networks around me who knows?


Tell me about it. One of my neighbors named their network "surveillance van 12". I like that. Mine is "Hell Portal 7".

My two favorites I've seen are PiggTits(.)(.) and BillWiTheScienceFi.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14645
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#39  Postby Fallible » Oct 02, 2015 8:22 pm

Spinozasgalt wrote:
Fallible wrote:I'm gonna guess from the internet.


And that passes for a scientific theory? Not goodynuff.


You are all enlightened; nothin' makes you frightened.
You ain't got no time to waste on entry-level middle class.
You are supercilious, pretty and ridiculous.
You got really good taste; you know how to cut and paste.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Why am I here? Let me tell you.

#40  Postby frack me » Oct 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Katz wrote:Hi, I'm Katz. I left my forum home of 4 years today for reasons I may later explain...


So, what forum was that then?
“--Why are we fighting them? --They're mad. We're sane. --How do we know? --That we're sane? --Yes. --Am I sane? --To all appearances. --And you, do you consider yourself sane? --I do. --Well, there you have it..."
--D. Barthelme
User avatar
frack me
 
Posts: 126
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome New Members

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest