Why I joined: Conflict over skeptic/pro-science activism

Hello and welcome to RatSkep! :smile: Why don't you introduce yourself here? ;)

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Why I joined: Conflict over skeptic/pro-science activism

#1  Postby AndreaX » Dec 22, 2013 4:37 am

Hi everyone,

I really apologize if this comes across as a bit confusing or too long, but I'll do my best to describe why I felt compelled to join this community and in the process solicit opinions over a relevant burning ethical/social question :scratch: ! To the point:

I've recently become oddly fascinated by YouTuber "KingCrocoduck," (9,700+ subs) an "agnostic atheistic pantheist" astrophysics + mathematics undergrad student who provides pretty rigorous scientific refutation of creationist claims through several video series, most recently confronting fundamentalist preacher Ray Comfort in public. I say oddly because this antagonism (and his videos are full of anger) is just the sort of thing that I have largely shied away from in the past, per Dawkin's reasons for not debating creationists and my own aversion to basing creative energy on attacking other people.

There is too much to write in one post, but the core of my issue is this: I recognize fundamentalist ideologies as destructive to the well-being of the individual and society as a whole, because they necessitate a blind resistance to social progress and self-transformation. Fundamentalist leaders influence MASSES of people who, though occupying the margins of society in the Western world, pass misinformation and an anti-science ethos to their peers. So shouldn't these preachers be countered by people who stand up in public with valid refutations of their false statements? Isn't it unacceptable to indoctrinate children, to tell them to rip pages out of science textbooks? Shouldn't the [mostly] rational community, including most christians, send a clear message that this is will not be tolerated by targeting the leaders of the anti-science community, instead of throwing up our hands because fundamentalists seem too far gone? At the same time, I know many creationists and fundamentalists personally who are really wonderful people, and I hate the dehumanizing rhetoric KC and other atheists often use to describe this community as a whole. Ugh sorry this turned out so long, but I'm surprised by how conflicted I am over this! Hopefully it makes sense.

So hi :)
AndreaX

Name: Andrea Baker

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Why I joined:Conflict over skeptic/pro-science activism

#2  Postby Matt8819 » Dec 22, 2013 4:49 am

Welcome to the forum :cheers:
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby LucidFlight » Dec 22, 2013 5:45 am

Welcome to the forum, AndreaX.

Ray Comfort should certainly be exposed for his cheap tactics and dishonesty, but I don't think he deserves to be dehumanised. He is just a man who, for whatever reason and circumstances, has ended up spending much time devoted to spreading stupid ideas. Having said that, when I myself was an undergraduate, I might not have been so forgiving. It's probably a good thing I didn't know who Ray Comfort was. :)
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 22, 2013 8:23 am

LucidFlight wrote:Welcome to the forum, AndreaX.

Ray Comfort should certainly be exposed for his cheap tactics and dishonesty, but I don't think he deserves to be dehumanised. He is just a man who, for whatever reason and circumstances, has ended up spending much time devoted to spreading stupid ideas. Having said that, when I myself was an undergraduate, I might not have been so forgiving. It's probably a good thing I didn't know who Ray Comfort was. :)

That's because you're mean and scary, though.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Welcome New Members