11 Dallas Officers Shot, 3 Dead in Shooting as Protest Ended

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

11 Dallas Officers Shot, 3 Dead in Shooting as Protest Ended

#1  Postby Acetone » Jul 08, 2016 4:38 am

Eleven Dallas law enforcement officers were shot, three fatally, by what is believed to be two snipers who opened fire during a demonstration downtown over recent police shootings in Minnesota and Louisiana, the Dallas police chief said.

The snipers fired from an elevated positions on police officers minutes before 9 p.m., Dallas Police Chief David Brown told reporters.

"We believe that these suspects were positioning themselves in a way to triangulate on these officers from two different perches in garages in the downtown area, and planned to injure and kill as many law enforcement officers as they could," he said. Some were shot in the back.

Three of the 11 officers died, two are in surgery and three are in critical condition, Brown said.

Police have cornered one of the suspected shooters in a parking garage, Brown said, and were negotiating with him.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pro ... ?cid=sm_fb
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 11 Dallas Officers Shot, 3 Dead in Shooting as Protest Ended

#2  Postby Onyx8 » Jul 08, 2016 4:40 am

Because you can always solve gun problems with more guns. :nono:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby monkeyboy » Jul 08, 2016 6:25 am

Four dead now. Sure this is going to improve things. Just create more fearful cops trying to do their jobs. Sure people are angry but anger and violence never fixed poor relations, it just helps breed more.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby CIS » Jul 08, 2016 6:33 am

Terrible... to the people whose goal was to avenge the deaths of black men, take a good long look at this image from after the Dallas shootings and tell me this is a good approach:

The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret.
CIS

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Oldskeptic » Jul 08, 2016 7:08 am

Chickens coming home roost, unintended consequences, or foreseeable targeted violence against police officers? I'm going for foreseeable targeted violence against police officers because I've been expecting something like this. What else can be expected after so much hate filled denunciations of police as assassins and cold blooded racist murders?

I'm fucking fed up with this black and white adversarial shit and I'm pointing an accusing finger at every person spouting and spreading this hatred through vitriolic rhetoric. From opportunistic bloodsucking leaches like Al Sharpton, the Nation of Islam, hearse chasing attorneys, and Black LIves Matter bigots all the way down to narrow minded hateful internet assholes like our own conspiracy theory junky Crank. Someone has to tell them so I'll do it; You're part of the problem not the solution. You're more like skinhead Nazis and white supremacists in your hate speech than not, and more of your hate and division will just make matters worse, never better.

Every single one of you on these forums that has declared, on the "evidence" of videos or rant articles, that another black person has been assassinated, executed, or murdered by racist police because they are black, and accuse police in general of racism and participating or colluding in coverups is partly responsible for what happened in Dallas tonight, and what will likely happen again before you're done if you don't stop.

Whipping people that already feel marginalized into a frenzy of righteous indignation is not going to help them, the situation, or anyone else. It might soothe your social justice warrior white guilt and make you feel like you've contributed something to a noble and virtuous cause, but all you're doing is pouring fuel on a fire that's in need of putting out, not stoking with more hate speech.

I'll be called a racists by the likes of Crank, Willie71, Mike_L, Briton, Teague and probably more of you here over this, but guess what? I'm mad as hell and I don't fucking care anymore. I didn't join RDF ten years ago and then this successor to it (Thanks Life) 6 years ago to be shouted down by the local circle jerk club of narrow minded single issue imbeciles that act like survivors of the A+ meltdown.

Here's a big

to the lot of you that know what I'm talking about, and that I am talking to you.

This post is dedicated to Spearthrower. The best of us.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Briton » Jul 08, 2016 8:17 am

Onyx8 wrote:Because you can always solve gun problems with more guns. :nono:

Yeah this is going to help the situation. What is the matter with these people?
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Briton » Jul 08, 2016 8:22 am

Oldskeptic wrote:<snip faux emotional rant>
I'll be called a racists by the likes of Crank, Willie71, Mike_L, Briton,
Here's a big

...to the lot of you that know what I'm talking about, and that I am talking to you.

Don't misrepresent me. I haven't called you a racist before and I wont over this...thanks for the fuck you though. Oh...and grow up.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#8  Postby chairman bill » Jul 08, 2016 8:28 am

If only those police officers had had guns.

How long before people realise that shooting other people is simply the wrong thing to be doing, and that all shootings are committed by people with guns, and maybe, just maybe, having fewer people with guns, might mean fewer shootings?
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Oldskeptic » Jul 08, 2016 9:04 am

Briton wrote:
Here's a big

...to the lot of you that know what I'm talking about, and that I am talking to you.

Don't misrepresent me. I haven't called you a racist before and I wont over this...thanks for the fuck you though. Oh...and grow up.

I tried to just snicker a bit but then couldn't help laughing out loud.

Briton wrote:

To not be sceptical of the authorities is the one of the main roots of the problem. It makes you wonder how many innocent, and maybe not so innocent, people have been murdered.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Fallible » Jul 08, 2016 10:21 am

I don't get it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Briton » Jul 08, 2016 10:46 am

Oldskeptic wrote:
Briton wrote:
Here's a big

I tried to just snicker a bit but then couldn't help laughing out loud.

Briton wrote:

To not be sceptical of the authorities is the one of the main roots of the problem. It makes you wonder how many innocent, and maybe not so innocent, people have been murdered.

What's that got to do with your claim that I'm going to call you a racist because of your crocodile-tear laden rant? You might be laughing but I don't think your behavior is a bit funny.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby crank » Jul 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Huge numbers of your community are getting murdered by cops. OldSkeptics doesn't like them gettin all uppity about that and blames them for getting cops killed. That is racist bullsit, and I got no problem pointing that out.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#14  Postby felltoearth » Jul 08, 2016 12:40 pm

Where is the evidence that the snipers are black and they shot to avenge black people?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jul 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Even if that is the case, it doesn't take away from the reality they're two people out of what is an enormous movement.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby felltoearth » Jul 08, 2016 1:02 pm

From twitter:

Just be clear: @DallasPD picked a random black dude w/ a rifle in an open carry state, blasted his photo and said "this is one of 'em."

One 2nd Amendment for you, one for me.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby felltoearth » Jul 08, 2016 1:04 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Even if that is the case, it doesn't take away from the reality they're two people out of what is an enormous movement.

Nothing that occurred in Dallas delegitimizes the BLM movement and what they stand for. One could argue this is the 2nd Amendment in action.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jul 08, 2016 1:13 pm

felltoearth wrote:From twitter:

Just be clear: @DallasPD picked a random black dude w/ a rifle in an open carry state, blasted his photo and said "this is one of 'em."

I think they said he was a person of interest in the tweet which might very well have been true, they saw a guy in photos near the event with a rifle and really wanted to talk to him to make sure he wasn't involved. But tweeting it out like that is poor form and could have led to an innocent person being gunned down or another firefight starting up. Social media can be great in getting the word out fast to a lot of people but you have to think hard about what you are saying before you say it. And remember that while POI might mean just someone you want to chat to internally those in the public are going to read it a very very different way.

I did see the original tweet being retweeted but I can't remember the exact wording anymore. It was a pretty shit idea to tweet that out no matter what. I think I also saw a tweet saying he had handed over his gun to the cops not long after or/and that he was interviewed by the media and was pretty pissed about the way he was tweeted. My feed moved pretty fast at that time so I can't be 100 percent sure if it was all about the same bloke or not.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Weaver » Jul 08, 2016 1:16 pm

felltoearth wrote:Where is the evidence that the snipers are black and they shot to avenge black people?

Statements by the Chief of Police in Dallas, based on conversations with one suspect during negotiations before he was killed in an IED explosion.

CORRECTION (this is all based on real-time press conference from Dallas) - the police sent in an explosive device on a robot after negotiations failed - it was the detonation of this device which killed the suspect.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby crank » Jul 08, 2016 1:23 pm

felltoearth wrote:From twitter:

Except it seems the 2nd isn't for blacks. Not to the NRA, not to RWs, and not to law enforcement.

edit: the 3nd Amendment????. oops
Last edited by crank on Jul 08, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs