2 Week Old Baby Dies From Circumcision in Norway

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

2 Week Old Baby Dies From Circumcision in Norway

#1  Postby DoctorE » May 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Another baby has died from circumcision. At two weeks old he faced complications of circumcision after he was circumcised by a doctor in Oslo, Norway. The circumcision took place at the physician's office on Oslo's East side. Currently police and the county physician are investigating the case. The baby boy was circumcised on Sunday, May 6th and died 48 hours later. County medical officer, Peter Schou, confirms that the baby died of complications following circumcision. "We have created a formal supervision against two unnamed doctors," said Schou.

He stated that there have been several cases of circumcision gone wrong in Oslo that currently have physicians under supervision. "These are very difficult cases to investigate because patients rarely complain about circumcision, but we have serious concern from hospitals that get these kids into therapy later," he added. Each year an estimated 2,000 boys are circumcised in Norway - many of them privately and without professional control.

Health and Care Services is now considering tighter laws on circumcision, but there are intense disagreements on circumcision laws both within government and coalition parties. Some strongly advocate a ban on all genital cutting, while others wish to offer the surgical procedure through the public health system. A bill has recently circulated that would limit or ban circumcision of minors altogether.

Child Ombudsman, Reidar Hjermann, would like to see a limitation on the minimum age a child could be circumcised and feels that ritual circumcision should be banned for any child under 15-16 years of age as a matter of health and safety. Justice Policy Center spokeswoman, Jenny Klinge, said ritual circumcision of young boys should be banned altogether just as circumcision of young girls is banned across the nation.

Source: http://www.savingsons.org/
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: 2 Week Old Baby Dies From Circumcision in Norway

#2  Postby Morten » May 13, 2012 10:59 am

Tragic and so fucking unnecessary.

It’s time to ban this disgusting and barbaric tradition.
Morten

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#3  Postby campermon » May 13, 2012 11:04 am

:nono:

WTF is going on when in the 21st century we have people who STILL want to cut bits off a babies cock because of some book written by ignorant desert dwellers several millenia ago?

Male genital mutilation needs to be made illegal.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby UndercoverElephant » May 13, 2012 9:08 pm

campermon wrote:
Male genital mutilation needs to be made illegal.

Agreed.
UndercoverElephant

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby MacIver » May 13, 2012 9:27 pm

Agreed with the agreements.

I saw some moron on Big Questions last Sunday saying that if parents weren't allowed to circumcise their sons they shouldn't be allowed to cut their hair... :roll:
Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness.

- Charlie Chaplin
MacIver

Name: Mr MacIver
Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Varangian » May 13, 2012 9:47 pm

MacIver wrote:Agreed with the agreements.

I saw some moron on Big Questions last Sunday saying that if parents weren't allowed to circumcise their sons they shouldn't be allowed to cut their hair... :roll:

Yeah, cut your foreskin and get a job, boyo!

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Macros1980 » May 13, 2012 9:58 pm

I fully support a ban on male genital mutilation but no government wants to invite the accusations of antisemitism that such a law would doubtless provoke.

Interestingly, a couple of my non-religious but culturally Jewish friends have both said that they would get their son(s) circumcised as to fail to do so would lead to excommunication from their families. I know that, if I were contemplating kids with a Jewish woman, there's no way on Earth I'd allow it to happen to my sons. She'd have to agree to that or I'd be outta there.
To presume that your one-in-64-million chance thing is a miracle is to significantly underestimate the total number of... things... that there are. -Tim Minchin
Macros1980

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby willhud9 » May 14, 2012 12:31 am

Funny especially since Christians are not bound to follow laws of circumcision. Like that was one thing Paul was clear that Gentiles did not need to observe.
"Well sweet Mother Teresa on the hood of a Mercedes Benz, you sound like a majestic fucking eagle." ~Instructor Shadis
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Kazaman » May 14, 2012 12:49 am

I am very much against circumcision, but I've read some conflicting information. Apparently circumcision decreases the risk of developing UTIs, penile cancer and HIV (the lattermost being rather suspect to me). Some of the sources have described the reduction of risk to be marginal or insignificant, since those conditions are rare among all men regardless of whether they were circumcised, but some sources don't mention the significance of the difference.

Some sources mention circumcised penes being easier to clean as well, although that really doesn't seem valid to me as retracting foreskin to clean isn't such a big deal.

Anyhow, have any of you done more in depth research in the matter? I'd like to hear more.
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby willhud9 » May 14, 2012 12:57 am

Those studies are usually mixed and varied and few in number compared to the vast amount of studies which show that circumcision can be traumatic for a newborn.
"Well sweet Mother Teresa on the hood of a Mercedes Benz, you sound like a majestic fucking eagle." ~Instructor Shadis
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby MoonLit » May 14, 2012 2:08 am

willhud9 wrote:Those studies are usually mixed and varied and few in number compared to the vast amount of studies which show that circumcision can be traumatic for a newborn.

Indeed.

And I can't take those who claim "But it reduces the chances of him getting HIV!" seriously.

Like, why the fuck would a baby boy worry about getting HIV from sex? He's a baby; I hope he's not sexually attractive that young and if he is, his parent(s) need to be in prison.

However, I understand if the boy is like 15-16 years old and wants to be circumcised (for whatever reason).
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby jez9999 » May 14, 2012 11:15 am

willhud9 wrote:Funny especially since Christians are not bound to follow laws of circumcision. Like that was one thing Paul was clear that Gentiles did not need to observe.

Yep, the gentiles sure liked their genitals.

MoonLit wrote:However, I understand if the boy is like 15-16 years old and wants to be circumcised (for whatever reason).

Yeah, but they wouldn't want it done then. :-)

Anyway, it's only good for slightly reducing the risk of HIV if you're going around having unprotected sex with a bunch of others who may have HIV. So it might make a half-argument in South Africa, but not Northern Europe.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#13  Postby Matt_B » May 14, 2012 11:50 am

MacIver wrote:Agreed with the agreements.

I hope someone asked them when was the last time a child died from complications during a haircut.
Matt_B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Wuffy » May 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Complications due to follicle deprivation?
Wuffy

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Mike_L » May 14, 2012 12:45 pm

A case of Fournier Gangrene (a type of necrotizing fasciitis affecting the genitals and/or perineal area) following circumcision of an infant...

[Reveal] Spoiler: Massive infection...

[Reveal] Spoiler: Following surgical excision of infected tissue...

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/11/massive-infection-takes-over-body-after.html

Is the risk worth it? For "cosmetic" reasons? For "traditional" reasons? For "religious" reasons? For any reason?!
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Kazaman » May 14, 2012 5:07 pm

jez9999 wrote:
willhud9 wrote:Funny especially since Christians are not bound to follow laws of circumcision. Like that was one thing Paul was clear that Gentiles did not need to observe.

Yep, the gentiles sure liked their genitals.

MoonLit wrote:However, I understand if the boy is like 15-16 years old and wants to be circumcised (for whatever reason).

Yeah, but they wouldn't want it done then. :-)

Anyway, it's only good for slightly reducing the risk of HIV if you're going around having unprotected sex with a bunch of others who may have HIV. So it might make a half-argument in South Africa, but not Northern Europe.

About Africa, I'm not sure if it can even make that much of an argument. One article I read argued that circumcision was not a commitment to prevention, but a cop out from the sound but politically dangerous methods of condom promotion and effective sex education. There's also a wealth of contradictory information on whether it works as prevention, to what extent it works or fails and the veracity of such analyses. I think it's probably way too ambiguous to be considered viable. Of course, such protests don't faze the WHO or PEPFAR much.
Kazaman

Name: Stephen
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Wuffy » May 14, 2012 5:32 pm

It's also kind of hard to do a controlled study on HIV infections and circumcisions potential to inhibit the spread.
Wuffy

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Varangian » May 14, 2012 8:49 pm

Oh, the baby is with God (or Allah) now, happy in the bosom of the Creator... Only that he didn't have any concept of "God"... His all too brief life was cut short because some backward parents couldn't make a break with tradition.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#19  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 14, 2012 10:13 pm

We just need one country to ban this and I expect we'd see momentum towards a ban in lots of other countries.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs