207 people killed in Sri Lanka Bombings

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 207 people killed in Sri Lanka Bombings

#21  Postby Alan C » Apr 21, 2019 8:08 pm

That perennial shit-stain D'Souza has vomited forth on Twitter; whining that this attack, according to him, is getting far less coverage than the mosque shootings here. I wasn't in any mood with that line [and I'm feeling like shit getting over an opportunistic cold here] so I let him have it. Other calmer individuals pointed out the coverage that is there.
He's an exploitive toilet stain.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Mononoke » Apr 21, 2019 11:09 pm

aufbahrung wrote:Think it's probably Buddhist terrorists, they attacked some Mosques last year. In revenge mode for the Tamil massacre at the end of the war, marking its tenth anniversary in their own special way?
There are no Buddhist terrorists outfits. There are Buddhist nationalist mobs now and then but this is way beyond that.

In any case 13 people were arrested all Islamic extremists.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Mononoke » Apr 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Mononoke wrote:The attackers were Islamists from the looks of it

Some islamic factions in Ceylon have condemned the attacks.
Well all muslims arent terrorists right.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby aufbahrung » Apr 22, 2019 3:22 am

People don't need a reason in some countries, only access to explosive and a hot enough day.
“Ne vous mêlez pas du pain”
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby aban57 » Apr 22, 2019 10:25 am

290 casualties now. :nono:
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Mononoke » Apr 22, 2019 12:35 pm

aban57 wrote:290 casualties now. :nono:

still finding bombs everywhere. Just found 87 detonators
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Fallible » Apr 22, 2019 12:36 pm

:nono:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#28  Postby tuco » Apr 22, 2019 2:01 pm

Sri Lanka Blames Radical Islamist Group for Easter Bombings

The government on Monday blamed a little-known radical Islamist group for the devastating Easter Sunday suicide bombings that killed nearly 300 people. Officials said the group, which had not carried out any serious attacks before, had received help from an international terrorist organization.

[snip]

Anne Speckhard, the director of the International Center for the Study of Violent Extremism, contrasted the attacks by Tamil guerrillas with those attributed to National Thowheeth Jama’ath. Unlike the bombings on Sunday, she said, those during the civil war were part of a nationalist or ethnic separatist movement, and they mostly targeted political leaders rather than religious ones.

“These attacks appear to be quite different,” she said, “and look as if they came right out of the ISIS, Al Qaeda, global militant jihadist playbook, as these are attacks fomenting religious hatred by attacking multiple churches on a high religious holiday.”

[snip]

Ms. Speckhard said the aim of National Thowheeth Jama’ath was to spread the global jihadist movement to Sri Lanka and to create hatred, fear and divisions in society.

“It is not about a separatist movement,” she said. “It is about religion and punishing.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/22/worl ... maath.html

---
edit: So some people been caught, blamed and they are not being asked: Why did you do it?, or rather: Why did they do it? since the bombers are dead I assume. Maybe more on this later, if anyone will care, to remember it, right?

• A dusk-to-dawn curfew was implemented for a second night on Monday in Colombo, the capital. And major social media and messaging services, including Facebook and WhatsApp, have been blocked by the government to try to curb the spread of misinformation.

Well, cant reach here. Sorry.

---

edit1: National Thowheeth Jama'ath ~ National Monotheism Organization (or perhaps Unification Group), according to wiki.
tuco

Print view this post

#29  Postby tuco » Apr 23, 2019 11:33 am

Sri Lanka attacks 'retaliation for Christchurch': Minister - https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 47025.html

Yeah?
tuco

Print view this post

#30  Postby aban57 » Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am

tuco wrote:Sri Lanka attacks 'retaliation for Christchurch': Minister - https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 47025.html

Yeah?

Propaganda. It's just a post hoc excuse.

India told Sri Lanka there would be an attack in a some churches back in late 2018. On the 11th April, a note from Sri Lanka's intelligent services containing the name of some of the future perpetrators and targets was released, but ignored because of lame politician fights. Christchurch attack happened less than a month before that (15th March). It seems highly unlikely that the intelligent services got all this information is such a little time.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Mononoke » Apr 23, 2019 3:19 pm

aban57 wrote:
tuco wrote:Sri Lanka attacks 'retaliation for Christchurch': Minister - https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/ ... 47025.html

Yeah?

Propaganda. It's just a post hoc excuse.

India told Sri Lanka there would be an attack in a some churches back in late 2018. On the 11th April, a note from Sri Lanka's intelligent services containing the name of some of the future perpetrators and targets was released, but ignored because of lame politician fights. Christchurch attack happened less than a month before that (15th March). It seems highly unlikely that the intelligent services got all this information is such a little time.

You're exactly correct. This is an excuse to cover up the mistakes of the government. One of the attackers was caught in 2017 with over 100 KG of high explosives. He was subsequently release due to pressure from Muslim MP who said it will cause ethnic problem. I know this sounds hilarious but it is true.

All of this happened after that. Furthermore, one suicide bomber was a parliamentary election candidate and another accomplice has been sitting right next to a popular Muslim MP on several occasions. Also, the outfit that carried out this attack Thowheeth Jama’ath was repeatedly white washed by Muslim MPs and the few people who raised question regarding their motives were named and shamed into submission as racists. All these guys are part of the ruling coalition and none of them showed up in parliament today.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Mononoke » Apr 23, 2019 3:22 pm

also death toll is 321. this is the biggest terrorist incident in this country. Which is saying a lot cause because i grew up with terrorist attacks taking place every month
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Ironclad » Apr 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Were you in the city that day, Mono?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#34  Postby felltoearth » Apr 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Mononoke wrote:also death toll is 321. this is the biggest terrorist incident in this country. Which is saying a lot cause because i grew up with terrorist attacks taking place every month

So proportional to 9/11 per capita in the US. What country do they plan on invading?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby aban57 » Apr 23, 2019 4:31 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Mononoke wrote:also death toll is 321. this is the biggest terrorist incident in this country. Which is saying a lot cause because i grew up with terrorist attacks taking place every month

So proportional to 9/11 per capita in the US. What country do they plan on invading?

Imperialism is a US trademark. They patented it in 1945.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 23, 2019 4:41 pm

felltoearth wrote:

Sweden, but as we all know, it's for the special interests of the meatball-industrial complex.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#37  Postby Mononoke » Apr 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Ironclad wrote:Were you in the city that day, Mono?

no i was away on vacation. good thing cause my girl friend and i go to shangrila for break fast all the time.

also death toll is 360
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby laklak » Apr 24, 2019 4:02 pm

aban57 wrote:

As much as we'd like to claim we invented it, we actually just licensed it from the Brits.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#39  Postby tuco » Apr 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Just a side note:

Mononoke wrote:He was subsequently release due to pressure from Muslim MP who said it will cause ethnic problem. I know this sounds hilarious but it is true.

It's not hilarious but it indicates that a legislative body has some power over a judicial body which is not a good sign for democracy were they are to be independent.
tuco

Print view this post

#40  Postby Ironclad » Apr 24, 2019 4:36 pm

laklak wrote:
aban57 wrote:

As much as we'd like to claim we invented it, we actually just licensed it from the Brits.
..who stole it from the Romans.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs