207 people killed in Sri Lanka Bombings

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 207 people killed in Sri Lanka Bombings

#61  Postby Mononoke » Apr 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Ironclad wrote:A lot of police are getting killed knocking on doors, I understand.

only the 3 on the first day. No other casualties. they had found some militants yesterday, apparently they couldn't shoot straight. So after a short firefight 12 had got shot the remaining 3 blew themselves up.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 27, 2019 7:05 pm

Mononoke wrote:
Last night, one father, mother and 5 year old son decided to blow themselves up before they got caught. unfortunately the kid survived with horrific burns. He's asking for his father all the time. such a waste.

:(
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#63  Postby Alan B » Apr 29, 2019 2:03 pm

BBC
Sri Lanka attacks: Face coverings banned after Easter bloodshed

Sri Lanka has banned face coverings in public, following a spate of suicide attacks on Easter Sunday that killed at least 250 people and injured hundreds.
President Maithripala Sirisena said he was using an emergency law to impose the restriction from Monday.
Any face garment which "hinders identification" will be banned to ensure security, his office said. Muslim leaders criticised the move.
The niqab and burka - worn by Muslim women - were not specifically named.
The move is perceived as targeting those garments, however.

Sensible thing to do, however...
Muslim groups have been highly critical of the president's decision.
"It is the stupidest thing to do. Three days ago we [the Muslim community] took a voluntary decision regarding this. The All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulema told all Muslim women not to wear face veils for security reasons. If they wanted to wear a veil, then they were told not to come out," Hilmy Ahmed, vice-president of the Sri Lanka Muslim Council, told the BBC.
"We see this as a reflection of the conflict between the president and the prime minister. We strongly criticise the decision. We will not accept the authorities interfering with the religion without consulting the religious leadership."

The niqab and burka are traditional and have nothing to do with the religion of Islam. Refer Queen Rania of Jordan. Somewhere she states that the words Niquab and Burqa do not even appear in the Koran.

What I can't get my head around is the number of these nutters the authorities have unearthed - a loner or maybe a small group (three or four?), maybe. But dozens maybe a hundred or so?
If that is the case, then the rest of the world had better do some serious searching and start exposing them. Sri Lanka may not be just a lone example...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 29, 2019 2:10 pm

While I don't agree with it as a response given that the attackers weren't hiding behind burqas... the response from Hilmy Ahmed is fucking absurd. Your religious belief doesn't dictate what other people have to do, and no one is obliged to consult with you when making national laws. But it's bloody laughable that it's hunky dory when a self-appointed religious honcho tells people what they can and can't do.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby Mononoke » Apr 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Spearthrower wrote:While I don't agree with it as a response given that the attackers weren't hiding behind burqas... the response from Hilmy Ahmed is fucking absurd. Your religious belief doesn't dictate what other people have to do, and no one is obliged to consult with you when making national laws. But it's bloody laughable that it's hunky dory when a self-appointed religious honcho tells people what they can and can't do.

In Sri Lanka, the law is you can't drive vehicles with tinted windows, can't wear bicycle helmets that cover the entire face. Also you can't enter a govt building, bank or atm with even sun glasses on. but somehow we allow on particular religion walk everywhere with thier entire identity obscured.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Mononoke » Apr 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Alan B wrote:
What I can't get my head around is the number of these nutters the authorities have unearthed - a loner or maybe a small group (three or four?), maybe. But dozens maybe a hundred or so?
If that is the case, then the rest of the world had better do some serious searching and start exposing them. Sri Lanka may not be just a lone example...

Close to one hundred arrests. I don't know about other countries, but sri lanka has had this major ethnic reconciliation program for the past 5 years, where the govt basically said we will do everything to appease minority apple cart. So naturally ISIS types thought this is a prime target.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 29, 2019 2:24 pm

Mononoke wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:While I don't agree with it as a response given that the attackers weren't hiding behind burqas... the response from Hilmy Ahmed is fucking absurd. Your religious belief doesn't dictate what other people have to do, and no one is obliged to consult with you when making national laws. But it's bloody laughable that it's hunky dory when a self-appointed religious honcho tells people what they can and can't do.

In Sri Lanka, the law is you can't drive vehicles with tinted windows, can't wear bicycle helmets that cover the entire face. Also you can't enter a govt building, bank or atm with even sun glasses on. but somehow we allow on particular religion walk everywhere with thier entire identity obscured.

Then it was already covered by law, so it was enforcement that was needed, not a special law specifying burqas.

Again though, none of the attackers were hiding behind burqas, so I think it's easy to see this as a collectivized guilt.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#68  Postby Mononoke » Apr 29, 2019 2:47 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Mononoke wrote:

Then it was already covered by law, so it was enforcement that was needed, not a special law specifying burqas.

Again though, none of the attackers were hiding behind burqas, so I think it's easy to see this as a collectivized guilt.

NO attackers in Burqa but a few male suspects were found trying to hide in them.
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Mononoke » Apr 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Like this guy. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 29, 2019 3:03 pm

Mononoke wrote:
NO attackers in Burqa but a few male suspects were found trying to hide in them.

Ahh I see, thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#71  Postby Ironclad » Apr 29, 2019 5:20 pm

He looks angry.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#72  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 29, 2019 8:11 pm

Morocco banned sales of the burkha and niqab for security reasons when I was living there. It's interesting that when a country where Muslims are the minority does it, it's considered an abuse of religious freedom, but when a Muslim country does it, it barely makes the news.

The only concern I have here is that the authorities in their desire to be seen to be doing something could quite easily overstep the mark and end up with some pretty indiscriminate targeting of people based on association or even ethnicity. Let's be honest, it's not that long since some pretty awful human rights abuses happened in Sri Lanka as a result of ethnic and political divisions.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 30, 2019 4:21 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:
The only concern I have here is that the authorities in their desire to be seen to be doing something could quite easily overstep the mark and end up with some pretty indiscriminate targeting of people based on association or even ethnicity. Let's be honest, it's not that long since some pretty awful human rights abuses happened in Sri Lanka as a result of ethnic and political divisions.

And that is exactly what cunts like IS want.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#74  Postby Mononoke » May 02, 2019 5:17 am

Clearly were taking the ISIS leader seriously!ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Ironclad » May 03, 2019 6:42 pm

:lol:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#76  Postby tuco » May 14, 2019 2:51 pm

A Facebook post has sparked anti-Muslim riots in Sri Lanka, with Christian and Muslim community leaders calling for calm.
- https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/11 ... 0593408000

---

Sri Lanka extends nationwide curfew after anti-Muslim riots - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48269240

----

Going back to "what do they want?", is this what they want?
tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs