40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

in New Zealand...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 40 deaths in right wing terrorist attack

#421  Postby Ironclad » Mar 29, 2019 3:51 pm

Are there not groups across Africa and the Middle East seeking a pure State. I understand that they offer little but to join or be erased; female children are stolen for wives, the breeding parents executed and the elderly left to sup at their woes.
Land and resources right there, oiling the machine.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#422  Postby willhud9 » Mar 29, 2019 4:54 pm

What about?

You are falling into the same ad hoc rationalization many people do when discussing Christianity in Medieval/Pre-Enlightenment Europe.

People, tyrants especially use religion as a tool to maintain power. In many ways secular evils of power grabbing blend with religious justification. “My attempt at consolidating absolute power isn’t bad because I can justify it with my religion, which if everyone was forced to follow would further justify my position.”

That is not the religion. That is extremists wanting power.

:dunno:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#423  Postby Ironclad » Mar 29, 2019 5:14 pm

It is well understood that ISiL are 'doing it right', when it comes to following the instructions in their book. That is, they are doing everything they believe that they are commanded to do, and by the grace of god. They are not extremists, unless you are brave enough to declare that the faith itself is extreme.

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#424  Postby Svartalf » Mar 29, 2019 5:26 pm

By its fruit shall you know it, people going to such extremes in following their ideology are by definition extremists.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#425  Postby Ironclad » Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Svartalf wrote:By its fruit shall you know it, people going to such extremes in following their ideology are by definition extremists.
Devout, they would say. If your textbook said, take their lands for your own, take their women and have no friends amongst them.. and you did so, you are an extremist?

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#426  Postby Svartalf » Mar 29, 2019 6:03 pm

If you go beyond the Golden Rule and hurt people for your own aggrandizement, based on religious doctrine, I might have other names to add to extremist to qualify you, not all of them pleasant.. :coffee:

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#427  Postby willhud9 » Mar 29, 2019 9:42 pm

Ironclad wrote:It is well understood that ISiL are 'doing it right', when it comes to following the instructions in their book. That is, they are doing everything they believe that they are commanded to do, and by the grace of god. They are not extremists, unless you are brave enough to declare that the faith itself is extreme.

Well understood by whom?

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Muslim-Scholars-Groups-Against-ISIS-Speal-Out-361309791.html

Shortly after ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared himself leader of the so-called "Islamic State," Muslim scholars published a 17-page open letter to Baghdadi, challenging everything from his claim to be "caliph," or leader of the world’s 1.6 billion Muslims, to the way his group "cherry-picks" verses from the Koran to justify its actions.
The September 2014 letter was translated into 10 languages and signed by more than 120 supporters, from the grand mufti of Egypt to a professor of Islamic studies at Massachusetts’ College of the Holy Cross.
In it, the authors argue that Islam forbids forced conversions, slavery, torture, the killing of innocents and the disfiguring of the dead — all of which ISIS has notoriously done and sought to justify in its own extensive, multi-lingual arguments.

But keep peddling your No True Muslim Fallacy to promote your Islamophobic worldview I guess? :dunno:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#428  Postby Ironclad » Mar 30, 2019 11:43 am

Grow up. Bandying around pop vernacular doesn't grant you greater credence. Don't get used to hiding truths behind such poor language; I doubt you give the Bible this much defence, so why here?

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#429  Postby NuclMan » Mar 30, 2019 11:57 am

zulumoose wrote:
This business with race/IQ is clearly a massive blunder of his which will do his rep no end of harm and is a real shame.

I have seen many attempts to peddle the IQ related race stuff, and whether there is a grain of truth in it or not, it is, as you say, so outweighed by other factors that is it very poor judgement to even bring it up. The only guarantee is that you will lose credibility by pursuing it.

Have you actually listened to the podcast?
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#430  Postby willhud9 » Mar 30, 2019 3:31 pm

Ironclad wrote:Grow up. Bandying around pop vernacular doesn't grant you greater credence. Don't get used to hiding truths behind such poor language; I doubt you give the Bible this much defence, so why here?

Ah so attack the poster instead of the post. Looks like I hit a nerve. Just admit your argument is bollocks.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#431  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Term used to describe somebody with baseless criticism(s) of Islam = Islamophobe.
Term used to describe somebody with well reasoned criticism(s) of Islam = Islamophobe.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#432  Postby Ironclad » Mar 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Thank you, KiR

Ironclad
RS Donator

Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#433  Postby Keep It Real » Mar 30, 2019 8:13 pm

NP, it's all in the game :nod:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#434  Postby proudfootz » Mar 30, 2019 10:02 pm

I don't think being 'critical' of Islam is typically what's being referred to when the term Islamophobia is used. If you don't like Islam, don't become a Muslim. Problem solved!

It's the fear, aversion, and discrimination directed towards Islam and Muslims that's problematic.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#435  Postby surreptitious57 » Mar 30, 2019 10:44 pm

The basic rule is this : you can attack an ideology as much as you like but you do not attack its followers
Ideologies have very thick skins so what you say about them will not affect them at all
Their followers though are human so are therefore more susceptible to being attacked

By attack I mean legitimate criticism although how individuals critique an ideology is entirely up to them
And so you can legitimately attack Islam without simultaneously attacking Muslims also
Sadly not everyone understands this subtle distinction or even thinks it actually matters

This also applies to criticism of Israel which is the other go to example of this
For criticising the Israeli Government is not at all equivalent to anti Semitism

Very often it works both ways and sometimes simultaneously too :

criticism of the ideology will be presented as simple prejudice / discrimination when it is actually perfectly legitimate
criticism of the ideology will be presented as perfectly legitimate when it is actually simple prejudice / discrimination

Question the motivation of your critics and you are under no obligation to pay attention to anything they say
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#436  Postby Svartalf » Mar 30, 2019 11:28 pm

I can attack an ideology by decreeing that any, all and sundry that believe in it are utter morons, and that no person in full enjoyment of his faculties could ever believe such hogwash...

Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#437  Postby willhud9 » Mar 31, 2019 1:54 am

proudfootz wrote:I don't think being 'critical' of Islam is typically what's being referred to when the term Islamophobia is used. If you don't like Islam, don't become a Muslim. Problem solved!

It's the fear, aversion, and discrimination directed towards Islam and Muslims that's problematic.

It’s almost as if it’s really that easy.

Islam isn’t some amazing religion. But it’s no better or worse than Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.

The amount of vitriol Muslims face is insane. In the aftermath of a shooting of Muslims by an islamophobic asswipe the appropriate response is not to support the asswipe’s worldview.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#438  Postby laklak » Mar 31, 2019 4:03 am

Dunno about that. LIved under Sharia law for a time, it wasn't near as nice as living in Thailand where they're mostly Buddhists or even in North Carolina with the snake handlers and tongue talkers. Animists can be a it dodgy, too.

Just anecdote, folks, YMMV.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#439  Postby quas » Mar 31, 2019 7:59 am

willhud9 wrote:It’s almost as if it’s really that easy.

Islam isn’t some amazing religion. But it’s no better or worse than Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.

The amount of vitriol Muslims face is insane. In the aftermath of a shooting of Muslims by an islamophobic asswipe the appropriate response is not to support the asswipe’s worldview.

What's the asswipe's view?

The nutcase thinks he can incite violent clashes between Western civilization and the Muslim world and that somehow will solve problems?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#440  Postby quas » Apr 04, 2019 2:29 pm

OlivierK wrote:
quas wrote:Which is why I'm more pissed at libtards than any religious or white supremacist terrorist.

You want everyone to no longer give a fuck about religion, so you're more pissed at people who don't give a fuck what anyone believes, than you are at people who give so much of a fuck that they commit mass murder.

That's idiotic, insane, and immoral.

Learn to think.

If you twist & frame it that way, of course it sounds ridiculous. But I never said that. My contention is that a lot of non-Muslims are responsible for terrorism and intolerance (which is a much bigger problem than terrorism) of Muslims, because they have been permissive and even supportive towards the acceptance and thus existence of Islam.

proudfootz wrote:If you don't like Islam, don't become a Muslim. Problem solved!

Here's a pro-tip from someone living in a Muslim-majority country: Being non-Muslim is like the No.1 surest, fastest, best way to attract Muslim aggro.

So, in your view, Islam and Muslims are one and the same now? Criticism of Islam = criticism of Muslims?
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs