7% of Oz RC priests alleged to be involved in child abuse

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

7% of Oz RC priests alleged to be involved in child abuse

#1  Postby DougC » Feb 06, 2017 3:41 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38877158

B.B.C. Article
An inquiry examining institutional sex abuse in Australia has heard 7% of the nation's Catholic priests allegedly abused children between 1950 and 2010.
In one religious order, over 40% of church figures were accused of abuse.
Over 4,440 people claim to have been victims between 1980 and 2015, the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse was told.
The commission, Australia's highest form of inquiry, is also investigating abuse at non-religious organisations.
It has previously heard harrowing testimony from scores of people who suffered abuse at the hands of clergy.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: 7% of Oz RC priests alleged to be involved in child abuse

#2  Postby Weaver » Feb 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Generating the question of whether those prone to sexually abusing kids seek out the priesthood as a way to enforce repression on their innate desires, or whether the repression of the priesthood causes them to express more normal innate desires inappropriately in abuse of children.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Byron » Feb 06, 2017 6:13 pm

I doubt vows of celibacy turn people into chomos, as opposed to the grand old priestly tradition of keeping a bit on the side, or visiting the local brothel (inconveniently, no longer owned by the church). Priesthood did, however, offer the perfect billet for predators, with automatic deference, no need for a sham marriage, and unsupervised access to children. And when they're caught, shunted off to new hunting grounds by the hierarchy.

The more light shone on this evil, the better.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » Feb 06, 2017 8:06 pm

Weaver wrote:Generating the question of whether those prone to sexually abusing kids seek out the priesthood as a way to enforce repression on their innate desires, or whether the repression of the priesthood causes them to express more normal innate desires inappropriately in abuse of children.

We would first have to demonstrate, presumably, that this figure is unusual for the time. A UK survey recently reported that 7% of adults were sexually assaulted as minors. Although that was split into 11% of women and 3% of men.

Your idea might have some merit in the idea that someone starved of sexual contact might resort to rape. Prisons in American may back this up. However, I honestly can't see why raping a child would be the obvious action for someone in this situation, rather than simply visiting a prostitute or having sex with someone normally. It's not as if a priest would be starved of female attention. Of course, there are reports to suggest that gay men are over-represented in the priesthood, particularly in this time period, where for many, it would have been the only alternative to marrying a woman. Gay men in the priesthood may have had fewer legitimate outlets for their sexuality, of course, and graver consequences if they were caught. And figures from America suggest that over 80% of victims of sexual abuse by priests were boys, which is completely the opposite of what is reported to happen in wider society. And this may, of course, be a fairly straightforward explanation for the older abuse victims (in the American report, 27% were between 15 and 17, which would seem within the age limits of normal attraction). In America, by far the most abused age group was between 12 and 15. But why would priests abuse boys on such a scale, when in wider society, girls are far more likely to be the victims of abuse (is that claim even true?). To what extent does child abuse reflect the sexuality of the offender? Is a child abuser automatically a paedophile? Studies suggest not. Are we wrong to put so much emphasis on sexual attraction at all? And is it just that a priest was far more likely to be left alone with boys than with girls?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Feb 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Are there any reports of sexual bullying in convents?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Feb 08, 2017 4:16 pm

Look on the bright side, 93% aren't fucking kids.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby solazy » Feb 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Alan B wrote:Are there any reports of sexual bullying in convents?

Nun abuse remains little talked about in the church. There are a few studies that have been conducted, including one in 1996 that reported that as many as 40 percent of Catholic nuns in the United States (or around 34,000 sisters at that time) claimed to have been sexually abused in some capacity and that “all nuns who claimed repeated sexual exploitation reported that they were pressured by religious superiors for sexual favors.”
solazy

Name: Steve Wilkes

Print view this post

#8  Postby solazy » Feb 08, 2017 4:32 pm

This guy gives me hope. and he is not a Catholic. It was reported he didn't sexually abuse boys.

https://www.channel4.com/news/police-in ... ian-leader
solazy

Name: Steve Wilkes

Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs