America's slide into fascism

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

America's slide into fascism

#1  Postby Seabass » Nov 07, 2022 4:24 pm

Heeding Steve Bannon’s Call, Election Deniers Organize to Seize Control of the GOP — and Reshape America’s Elections

The stolen election myth inspired thousands of Trump supporters to take over the Republican Party at the local level, exerting more partisan influence on how elections are run.

One of the loudest voices urging Donald Trump’s supporters to push for overturning the presidential election results was Steve Bannon. “We’re on the point of attack,” Bannon, a former Trump adviser and far-right nationalist, pledged on his popular podcast on Jan. 5. “All hell will break loose tomorrow.” The next morning, as thousands massed on the National Mall for a rally that turned into an attack on the Capitol, Bannon fired up his listeners: “It’s them against us. Who can impose their will on the other side?”

When the insurrection failed, Bannon continued his campaign for his former boss by other means. On his “War Room” podcast, which has tens of millions of downloads, Bannon said President Trump lost because the Republican Party sold him out. “This is your call to action,” Bannon said in February, a few weeks after Trump had pardoned him of federal fraud charges.

The solution, Bannon announced, was to seize control of the GOP from the bottom up. Listeners should flood into the lowest rung of the party structure: the precincts. “It’s going to be a fight, but this is a fight that must be won, we don’t have an option,” Bannon said on his show in May. “We’re going to take this back village by village … precinct by precinct.”

full article:
https://www.propublica.org/article/heeding-steve-bannons-call-election-deniers-organize-to-seize-control-of-the-gop-and-reshape-americas-elections
"One movement, one people, one family, and one glorious nation under god!" —Donald Trump
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer!" —Adolf Hitler
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

Re: America's slide into fascism

#2  Postby Seabass » Nov 07, 2022 4:25 pm

"One movement, one people, one family, and one glorious nation under god!" —Donald Trump
Seabass

Print view this post

#3  Postby Seabass » Nov 07, 2022 4:46 pm

That Cardboard Box in Your Home Is Fueling Election Denial

A previously unreported boom in profits for the shipping supply giant Uline has provided the funds for a deeply conservative Midwestern family to bankroll anti-democracy causes around the country.

Much of the cardboard and paper goods strewn about our homes — the mail-order boxes and grocery store bags — are sold by a single private company, with its name, Uline, stamped on the bottom. Few Americans know that a multibillion-dollar fortune made on those ubiquitous products is now fueling election deniers and other far-right candidates across the country.

Dick and Liz Uihlein of Illinois are the largest contributors to Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano, who attended the Jan. 6 rally and was linked to a prominent antisemite, and have given to Jim Marchant, the Nevada Secretary of State nominee who says he opposed the certification of Joe Biden’s election victory in 2020. They are major funders to groups spreading election falsehoods, including Restoration of America, which, according to an internal document obtained by ProPublica, aims to “get on God’s side of the issues and stay there” and “punish leftists.”

Flush with profits from their shipping supply company, the Uihleins have emerged as the No. 1 federal campaign donors for Republicans ahead of the November elections, and the No. 2 donors overall behind liberal financier George Soros. The couple has spent at least $121 million on state and federal politics in the last two years alone, fighting taxes, unions, abortion rights and marijuana legalization.

full article: https://www.propublica.org/article/uline-uihlein-election-denial
Seabass

Print view this post

#4  Postby Seabass » Nov 07, 2022 5:29 pm

Seabass

Print view this post

#5  Postby Evolving » Nov 07, 2022 5:57 pm

It's all very troubling.

My daughter has joined a debating club at school.The first topic they debated was "Should the EU set up its own army?" My daughter's initial thought was, why would the EU need its own army when we already have NATO, in which our own country participates, with its absolutely huge armed forces of 1,486 active soldiers and one aeroplane (which serves with the Belgian air force)? And there are various arguments for and against that one can think of; but one that immediately occurred to me, that hadn't occurred to her, was: How sure are we that we can rely on the US, as in the past, to be the staunch defenders of democracy as which we're accustomed (in Europe) to thinking of them? How democratic will they be, really, in the medium term?
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#6  Postby THWOTH » Nov 07, 2022 6:42 pm

FOXNEWS is only one example of the super rich funding and promoting what is essentially a wish for a state of absolute anarchy.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby THWOTH » Nov 07, 2022 6:43 pm

... and it's not limited to the US.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 07, 2022 7:01 pm

Evolving wrote:How sure are we that we can rely on the US, as in the past, to be the staunch defenders of democracy as which we're accustomed (in Europe) to thinking of them? How democratic will they be, really, in the medium term?

That's very much a question being asked in the UK as well, and a big reason why (as far as I can tell) there's no real opposition to expanding the armed forces. If the US pulls out of NATO then a Euro defence force would be an inevitable necessity.

The fact is the US is already seen as an unreliable ally (the Afghan's and Kurds can attest to that), potentially just one election away from vanishing from the world stage. Those US military bases, disliked as they may be, are at least some sort of assurance that they'll not disappear the moment Trump or his mini-me Kremlin-approved replacement gets into power.

Fortunately too, with the mighty Russian steamroller being exposed as a hollowed out chocolate bear rotting from the inside out, there's no urgent conventional threat to counter. But the useful idiots in Washington would probably use that as an excuse to leave NATO.

It's a measure of how febrile US politics has become. Normally there's minimal change in foreign policy when a country's government changes, and if there is any change it will be gradual. We are now having to face the very real prospect of complete US realignment if the fascists get into power.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Seabass » Nov 07, 2022 7:59 pm

Seabass

Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#10  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 08, 2022 8:00 am

feels somewhat related
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Azaghal » Nov 08, 2022 10:23 am

The title of the thread made me chuckle a bit because it reminded me of how many people I've encountered who claim that America is turning "fascist" look like the polar opposite of the gaunt cancer patients who were extras during the liberation of Kaufering in Band of Brothers. I suppose I had to call in sick the day we learned in class that the officers running these concentration camps ordered Domino's for the prisoners four or five times times a day.
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby THWOTH » Nov 08, 2022 10:39 am

(c.50m)

Basically, when our primary sources of political information, analysis and commentary are provided by the agents of political forces we cannot help but form a very particular, one-sided conception of political ideas, events, issues of concern, or their causes or solutions.

"Attention is currency in the marketplace of ideas." -- Peter Coffin.

(c.10m)

Robert Reich wrote: Billionaire midterm spending:

2010: $32 million
2014: $232 million
2018: $611 million
2022: $811 million

This is how democracy dies.
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Seabass » Nov 08, 2022 11:24 am

Azaghal wrote:The title of the thread made me chuckle a bit because it reminded me of how many people I've encountered who claim that America is turning "fascist" look like the polar opposite of the gaunt cancer patients who were extras during the liberation of Kaufering in Band of Brothers. I suppose I had to call in sick the day we learned in class that the officers running these concentration camps ordered Domino's for the prisoners four or five times times a day.

The gas chambers weren't fired up on day one, dumbass.
Seabass

Print view this post

#14  Postby Evolving » Nov 08, 2022 11:27 am

It's not even day one yet, even on the premise that history is going to repeat itself, rather than doing the same thing a different way, as it usually does.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Azaghal » Nov 08, 2022 11:46 am

Seabass wrote:
Azaghal wrote:The title of the thread made me chuckle a bit because it reminded me of how many people I've encountered who claim that America is turning "fascist" look like the polar opposite of the gaunt cancer patients who were extras during the liberation of Kaufering in Band of Brothers. I suppose I had to call in sick the day we learned in class that the officers running these concentration camps ordered Domino's for the prisoners four or five times times a day.

The gas chambers weren't fired up on day one, dumbass.

I sat through that entire John Oliver episode and wasn't terribly surprised when voter ID laws came up. It's funny that voter ID laws are seen by some in the US as a sign of incipient fascism given that virtually all of the European countries we're supposed to be emulating have some form of voter ID law (with the possible exception of the UK, though that may change soon). In fact, it's such an urgent sign of an emerging Fourth Reich that one of the most important things to point out now is that one of its architect's middle name is "Kevin".

OH NOES HERE IT COMES!!!!111!!!!lim sin(x)/x x→0!!!111!!

Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Azaghal » Nov 08, 2022 11:49 am

Only the antifa REVOLUTION can save us now!

portland-antifa-arrests-with-lesions.png
portland-antifa-arrests-with-lesions.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 476 times

And by Goddess once they pawn those car stereos and find a vein that hasn't collapsed yet they're going to get right on it!
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby tuco » Nov 08, 2022 12:13 pm

Trivia: Gödel's Loophole.

I find this bit amusing:

When the date of the examination came some months later, Gödel was being driven to the courthouse in Trenton, New Jersey by Morgenstern and Einstein, who were to be his witnesses. Both had already taken the citizenship test and become naturalized United States citizens. At one point during the drive, Einstein, in the front seat, turned to Gödel in the back and asked – knowing about Gödel's concerns – "Now, Gödel, are you really well prepared for this examination?" According to Morgenstern, Einstein's purpose in asking this was to rattle Gödel, whose reaction amused him.[2][3]

At the courthouse, witnesses would normally remain outside of the room during a citizenship examination, but because Einstein, a celebrity, was involved, and because the judge, Phillip Forman, had administered the oath of citizenship to Einstein, all three men were invited in. In the course of the examination, Forman asked Gödel what the government of Austria was, to which he replied: "It was a republic, but the constitution was such that it finally was changed into a dictatorship." The judge commented that this could not happen in the U.S., and Gödel responded "Oh, yes, I can prove it," but the judge declined to pursue the matter
tuco

Print view this post

#18  Postby Seabass » Nov 08, 2022 12:16 pm

Azaghal wrote:I sat through that entire John Oliver episode and wasn't terribly surprised when voter ID laws came up.

So you watched the entire episode... and ignored 99% of it. Congrats on your picked cherry.

So anyway, whose sock are you, troll?
Seabass

Print view this post

#19  Postby Azaghal » Nov 08, 2022 12:24 pm

Seabass wrote:
Azaghal wrote:I sat through that entire John Oliver episode and wasn't terribly surprised when voter ID laws came up.

So you watched the entire episode... and ignored 99% of it.

Would you like to point me to the timestamps that really highlight all the evidence we're well on our way to the formation of a new US government that carries out a megadeath-level destruction of its own people? So far it looks like a lot of the "resistance" is far more likely to succumb to heart disease than hydrogen cyanide.
Azaghal
Banned Sockpuppet

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 08, 2022 12:26 pm

Seabass wrote:

So you watched the entire episode... and ignored 99% of it. Congrats on your picked cherry.

So anyway, whose sock are you, troll?

It shouldn't be too hard to guess - see how many posts it takes.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs