And Good Fucking Riddance

The world is a slightly better place now with these peoples' deaths...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: And Good Fucking Riddance

#181  Postby laklak » Oct 29, 2019 7:27 pm

Apparently they got his likely successor Abu Hasan al-Muhajir too.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/29/politics/trump-al-muhajir-dead/index.html
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#182  Postby Ironclad » Oct 29, 2019 10:47 pm

The Kurds stole his underpants, they claim. Not something I'd advertise on international TV.
:think:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 29, 2019 10:53 pm

He had his name sewn into his underpants?
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#184  Postby kiore » Oct 30, 2019 1:55 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Far too much off topic in this thread, this is a news, politics and current affairs thread please treat it as such.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#185  Postby scott1328 » Nov 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Phillip Johnson, creationist and liar for Jesus ceased lying on 11/2. Yay!
https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent ... 9-aged-79/
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#186  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 06, 2019 7:27 pm

He had a massive impact on the modern Creationism movement - I don't doubt that he's responsible for a significant percentage of the Creationist English speaking world's certainty in their loony anti-science/reality belief system, and they almost all use one or more of his arguments albeit less capably.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#187  Postby Blip » Nov 08, 2019 8:36 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
The discussion on simulation has been merged into an existing thread.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#188  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 08, 2019 9:17 am

scott1328 wrote:Phillip Johnson, creationist and liar for Jesus ceased lying on 11/2. Yay!
https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent ... 9-aged-79/

Another lying sack of shit we can be glad to be rid of. The damage this slimeball inflicted upon American science education will take decades to undo, even if the US education system manages to avoid being corrupted and perverted by this twat's wingnut followers throughout that period.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#189  Postby Rumraket » Nov 08, 2019 5:28 pm

Spearthrower wrote:He had a massive impact on the modern Creationism movement - I don't doubt that he's responsible for a significant percentage of the Creationist English speaking world's certainty in their loony anti-science/reality belief system, and they almost all use one or more of his arguments albeit less capably.

True enough I suppose. Though it has to be said that much of the Intelligent Design output is just re-labeled classic creationism. They play better dress up in the ID tent, but they're still just creationists.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#190  Postby TopCat » Nov 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Rumraket wrote:Though it has to be said that much of the Intelligent Design output is just re-labeled classic creationism.

Very true, but I think the IDers are much worse than the run-of-the-mill creationists.

The Hams and Hovinds of this world are mostly just funny, in an eye-rolling way - barely more credible than flat earthers - but the IDers (Behe, Meyer, Dembski, Lennox et al) are much worse, as they're able to drape a lot of sciency-sounding words around their output, which fool many a genuine but uneducated lay person.

They are also often much, much better debaters than actual scientists, as they've honed their patter to perfection, and they cunningly misrepresent complex topics, supporting their position by creating the illusion of simplicity, again attractive to lay people.

I think they're much more dangerous, in reality.

That said, some ID stuff I came across recently prompted me to read this book by Donald Prothero. I'm about half way through it and it's fascinating.

Among other things, I've learned a little about cladistics so far, and discovered that the Cambrian Explosion, wasn't. It's a book that will need reading a second time.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#191  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Rumraket wrote:
True enough I suppose. Though it has to be said that much of the Intelligent Design output is just re-labeled classic creationism. They play better dress up in the ID tent, but they're still just creationists.

Undoubtedly the beliefs were the same, but the strategy for expounding those beliefs changed dramatically with ID.

It was necessary to put aside all questions of biblical interpretation or veracity and to concentrate entirely on the claims of Darwinism...

What was needed was to press questions that are legitimated within the context of mainstream academic thinking, questions about what has been proved about evolution and what has merely been assumed.

ID is a wedge strategy - attack science but not from a Christian perspective, make evolution a belief system but not from a Christian perspective, then cry foul that the religion of evolution can be taught in schools but Christianity can't. It was all about the veneer - it still is! Uncommon Descent is a perfect example - they take pains to pretend that they're all invested in the scientific truth, but really they're all just Christian Creationists trying to overturn empirical knowledge in favour of their inherited belief system.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs