And Good Fucking Riddance

The world is a slightly better place now with these peoples' deaths...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: And Good Fucking Riddance

#281  Postby Evolving » Oct 19, 2021 6:21 am

I hear what you say (well, I read what you say), but I think we all, including the anti-vaxxers, have to be aware of the reality and face up to it, explicitly: in this case, that getting the vaccine greatly improves your chances, especially against getting seriously sick if you do contract the disease, but it's not an impregnable defence. Like seat belts (apparently there are people who were thrown through their car windows during an accident and thereby survived, which they wouldn't have done had they been wearing a belt), and like many things, which protect you in the great majority of cases, but not necessarily in 100% of them.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#282  Postby Alan C » Oct 19, 2021 6:21 am

He had blood cancer which, as I understand it, can screw your immune system a bit plus him being 80+?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#283  Postby The_Piper » Oct 19, 2021 1:40 pm

Agrippina wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I'm actually shocked to hear it. I didn't know he was battling cancer. I thought of Powell as one of the few sane Republicans. That was probably true. It's maddening, that we live among some fairly radicalized people, to hate and indifference.

I've always thought the people at the top of the military ladder in the US were had a little more decency than the general populace who vote for idiots simply because of the stupid reasons they do, like making perving over your own daughter acceptable. Which is why I had a little respect for Powell, and especially because he admitted voting for Biden (I think I read that somewhere, can't remember). What I hate is that it's now given anti-vaxxers a weapon - see he had two doses of the vaccine and still died of Covid. That annoys me, I didn't want fuel for their stupidity, and now it's making me obsessive about pursuing a booster for my old man who has diabetes. He barely survived an attack after the first vaccination, so the fear is valid. If only it had been the cancer that got him and not the virus. Not that I wish anyone's death, it's just that I would've preferred it if he hadn't been sick with Covid.

Yeah. Powell's age, condition, and cancer treatment probably rendered him vulnerable to sniffle. It is annoying. I hope you can keep yourself and husband from getting infected again, whatever you decide with the booster.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#284  Postby The_Piper » Oct 19, 2021 1:44 pm

The_Piper wrote:I'm actually shocked to hear it. I didn't know he was battling cancer. I thought of Powell as one of the few sane Republicans. That was probably true. It's maddening, that we live among some fairly radicalized people, to hate and indifference.

To clarify this, I wasn't calling Powell radicalized (though it may be the case), I was saying that it's maddening that he was one of the few sane Republicans, and there aren't more. Sure Lindsey Graham, for instance, is clinically sane, but he is radicalized to hate and indifference, and a large but unknown number of the voters are.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#285  Postby Matt_B » Oct 20, 2021 12:10 am

Have a read of some of Powell's exploits during the Vietnam War and the Iran-Contra affair and you might get a better picture of him. Suffice it to say that Iraq and Afghanistan were merely the tail end of a long career of covering up war crimes.

That he held relatively moderate views and was capable of rather more insightful takes than your average Republican statesman only made him a better salesman for bad foreign policy.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#286  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 20, 2021 1:25 am

Matt_B wrote:Have a read of some of Powell's exploits during the Vietnam War and the Iran-Contra affair and you might get a better picture of him. Suffice it to say that Iraq and Afghanistan were merely the tail end of a long career of covering up war crimes.

That he held relatively moderate views and was capable of rather more insightful takes than your average Republican statesman only made him a better salesman for bad foreign policy.

He knew the same things I do about military service: One "oh, shit" undoes all of the "attaboys". He perpetuated and strengthened the bald truth that the United States, as a matter of national policy, lies to the world and is not to be trusted. He did that while on his way to war over his lies.

Did you know the decision had already been made to attack, even while he was lying to the planet?

Fuck him. I have dead colleagues because of him. Iraq has tens of thousands of dead because if him.

Edited to add: My apologies, Matt_B, for my tone. I understand your post. My deep personal hatred of liars colors my thoughts too harshly sometimes, and I wasn't aiming it at you.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#287  Postby Agrippina » Oct 20, 2021 6:10 am

The_Piper wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

I've always thought the people at the top of the military ladder in the US were had a little more decency than the general populace who vote for idiots simply because of the stupid reasons they do, like making perving over your own daughter acceptable. Which is why I had a little respect for Powell, and especially because he admitted voting for Biden (I think I read that somewhere, can't remember). What I hate is that it's now given anti-vaxxers a weapon - see he had two doses of the vaccine and still died of Covid. That annoys me, I didn't want fuel for their stupidity, and now it's making me obsessive about pursuing a booster for my old man who has diabetes. He barely survived an attack after the first vaccination, so the fear is valid. If only it had been the cancer that got him and not the virus. Not that I wish anyone's death, it's just that I would've preferred it if he hadn't been sick with Covid.

Yeah. Powell's age, condition, and cancer treatment probably rendered him vulnerable to sniffle. It is annoying. I hope you can keep yourself and husband from getting infected again, whatever you decide with the booster.

Oh we'll definitely get every protection they're offering. :thumbup:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#288  Postby The_Piper » Oct 21, 2021 2:18 am

:thumbup:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#289  Postby arugula2 » Mar 24, 2022 4:22 am

Madeleine Albright. One of countless sociopathic mediocrities who shaped late-20th century US foreign policy. Much more useful to the world as fertilizer. Too many of them still living and active.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#290  Postby felltoearth » Mar 24, 2022 11:43 am

arugula2 wrote:Madeleine Albright. One of countless sociopathic mediocrities who shaped late-20th century US foreign policy. Much more useful to the world as fertilizer. Too many of them still living and active.

Can’t say I disagree, necessarily. While she’s no Cheney, not far from the bottom of the barrel.

It smells in the shadows.

Albright Stonebridge Group - Wikipedia
Several firm alumni joined presidential administration of Joe Biden in 2021. The high concentration of officials entering from ASG and a relatively small number of similar firms worried some progressives over possible corporate influence on the administration.[5][6] Previous clients ASG alumni moving into the Biden administration worked with include Merck, Pfizer, Amazon, Lyft, and Microsoft, among others.[5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#292  Postby Macdoc » Apr 25, 2022 7:11 am

While I prefer to celebrate a life ....this death is certainly welcome.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#293  Postby The_Piper » Apr 25, 2022 3:49 pm

I'm not going to gloat, but the fewer racists in the world, the better. Ideally it would be overcome through personal growth rather than a casket.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#294  Postby Tortured_Genius » May 07, 2022 5:23 pm

None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#295  Postby Hermit » Jul 09, 2022 3:00 am

Shinzo Abe, former Prime Minister of Japan (2006-2007 & 2012-2020), ultranationalist, right-wing populist and ultra-conservative. Assassinated on 8 July 2022 at 11:30 JST (UTC+9)
Shinzo Abe was shot twice while delivering a campaign speech in Nara. The assassin used a homemade musket-style firearm which fired two shots, the first striking Abe in the neck and the second striking him fatally in the heart. A 41-year-old man named Tetsuya Yamagami (a former Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force officer) was arrested following the shooting and later confessed to local police. Yamagami stated that he held a grudge against a "particular religious group" and shot Abe because he believed that "the religious group and Abe were connected". Yamagami claimed that he "didn't have a grudge against Abe's political beliefs".
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#296  Postby jamest » Jul 15, 2022 7:06 pm

Hermit wrote:Shinzo Abe, former Prime Minister of Japan (2006-2007 & 2012-2020), ultranationalist, right-wing populist and ultra-conservative. Assassinated on 8 July 2022 at 11:30 JST (UTC+9)
Shinzo Abe was shot twice while delivering a campaign speech in Nara. The assassin used a homemade musket-style firearm which fired two shots, the first striking Abe in the neck and the second striking him fatally in the heart. A 41-year-old man named Tetsuya Yamagami (a former Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force officer) was arrested following the shooting and later confessed to local police. Yamagami stated that he held a grudge against a "particular religious group" and shot Abe because he believed that "the religious group and Abe were connected". Yamagami claimed that he "didn't have a grudge against Abe's political beliefs".

Not that I know anything about Abe but the BBC presented him as being very popular in Japan, hence my surprise to see him mentioned in this thread. Although I must also confess to losing much trust in the BBC.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#297  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 15, 2022 7:42 pm

jamest wrote:… BBC presented him as being very popular in Japan …

have we had Godwins Law in the thread yet? I feel tempted to fulfill it :coffee:
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#298  Postby jamest » Jul 15, 2022 9:47 pm

Agi Hammerthief wrote:
jamest wrote:… BBC presented him as being very popular in Japan …

have we had Godwins Law in the thread yet? I feel tempted to fulfill it :coffee:

Not sure if you're talking about Abe or the BBC, or even me, so do it!
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#299  Postby Hermit » Jul 15, 2022 10:33 pm

jamest wrote:
Hermit wrote:Shinzo Abe, former Prime Minister of Japan (2006-2007 & 2012-2020), ultranationalist, right-wing populist and ultra-conservative. Assassinated on 8 July 2022 at 11:30 JST (UTC+9)

Not that I know anything about Abe but the BBC presented him as being very popular in Japan, hence my surprise to see him mentioned in this thread. Although I must also confess to losing much trust in the BBC.

Ultranationalist, right-wing populist and ultra-conservative politicians can be very popular. Several present and past national leaders are/were both.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#300  Postby jamest » Jul 15, 2022 11:47 pm

Hermit wrote:
jamest wrote:

Ultranationalist, right-wing populist and ultra-conservative politicians can be very popular. Several present and past national leaders are/were both.

I would expect that most voters would demand that their leading politicians be ultranationalist and that most politicians are/were (unless those politicians' primary concern was themselves/selfishness, something far worse)? Can you provide me an example of a leading politician who is/was not an ultranationalist (or just plain selfish)? Not that I'm defending ultranationalism, but singling-out him in particular for such a 'crime' seems a bit unfair.

Similarly, I don't see why being a populist should necessarily be deemed a crime, as what value is a politician to a country if he/she disregards the opinions and desires of most ordinary/average people? Please enlighten me.

You're evidently ultra-displeased with right-wing conservative politics and I do not necessarily oppose your feelings on the matter, but unless you're an advocate of 'ultracommunism' then it doesn't sound to me that you have an argument here to celebrate his death, especially given that most politicians in The West (apart from the selfish ones) are similar to him? :think:
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs