Anti Lynching Bill Passed In Senate

But fundies want to continue lynching gays ...

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Anti Lynching Bill Passed In Senate

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 10, 2019 5:14 am

So, we learn here, that at long last, the Senate in the USA has passed a bill outlawing lynching, and making the practice a federal crime.

Great, you'll be thinking, and about time too.

Just one fly in the ointment.

A Christofascist hate group, calling itself "Liberty Counsel" (which apparently only wants liberty for its white Christofascist demographic) has been trying to lobby politicians to have LGBTQ people removed from the protections of the bill.

So, what this bunch of religiotards want, is to be able to lynch LGBTQ people without being prosecuted.

Fucking douche schooners.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Anti Lynching Bill Passed In Senate

#2  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am

Just look how many are signing the Nashville Statement.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby zulumoose » Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

Calilasseia wrote:

A Christofascist hate group, calling itself "Liberty Counsel" (which apparently only wants liberty for its white Christofascist demographic) has been trying to lobby politicians to have LGBTQ people removed from the protections of the bill.

So, what this bunch of religiotards want, is to be able to lynch LGBTQ people without being prosecuted.

Terrible misrepresentation.
Of course ANY Lynching will be subject to prosecution, you must know that.
What they want is for any specific mention of LGBTQ to be removed. They don't want "those" people represented or recognised in anything, given any special treatment, considered to have any specific rights or protections other than those afforded to everyone. The last thing they want is for LGBTQ to be considered a protected group in any form.

OK yes, they might have secret fantasies of being able to freely lynch them, but that is not what this is about.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby scott1328 » Jan 10, 2019 12:59 pm

zulumoose wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:

Terrible misrepresentation.
Of course ANY Lynching will be subject to prosecution, you must know that.
What they want is for any specific mention of LGBTQ to be removed. They don't want "those" people represented or recognised in anything, given any special treatment, considered to have any specific rights or protections other than those afforded to everyone. The last thing they want is for LGBTQ to be considered a protected group in any form.

OK yes, they might have secret fantasies of being able to freely lynch them, but that is not what this is about.

Anyone who has read the bible knows that lynching is too good for fags and dykes. The fairies need to be dragged to the outskirts of town and stoned to death.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Are there not already sufficient laws that make lynching a crime? Like the law about murder, for example?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby scott1328 » Jan 10, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:Are there not already sufficient laws that make lynching a crime? Like the law about murder, for example?

It makes it a Federal Crime because there is a BIG problem with local and state jurisdictions not prosecuting and not investigating these crimes.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Jan 10, 2019 3:40 pm

I must have missed the rash of recent lynchings.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jan 10, 2019 5:38 pm

Last one was in 1981, apparently. Which is absurdly recent to be sure, but it does seem like something that's not really an issue at this point. On the other hand we do have nazis running over people with cars now, so maybe this will actually save someone.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Blackadder » Jan 10, 2019 6:00 pm

Am I missing something here? Why does an "anti-lynching" bill need to make mention of specific minority groups? Yes, I am well aware of the history of lynching in the US and I deplore the usual antics of the "Jesus Hates You" moral crusaders of the American Christian Right. But, surely a federal law against lynching should by default protect ALL citizens anyway?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Why is it even necessary to have an anti-lynching law? Murder is illegal in all 50 states and all U.S. territories, and there is a Federal murder law that applies under specific circumstances (like during commission of a bank robbery). If the lynchee doesn't die then it's covered under assault or attempted murder statutes. I find it hard to believe that anyone contemplating lynching someone will be deterred by yet another law.

Looks like a solution in search of a problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby felltoearth » Jan 10, 2019 11:33 pm

laklak wrote:Why is it even necessary to have an anti-lynching law? Murder is illegal in all 50 states and all U.S. territories, and there is a Federal murder law that applies under specific circumstances (like during commission of a bank robbery). If the lynchee doesn't die then it's covered under assault or attempted murder statutes. I find it hard to believe that anyone contemplating lynching someone will be deterred by yet another law.

Looks like a solution in search of a problem.

See Scott’s post above.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby felltoearth » Jan 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Blackadder wrote:Am I missing something here? Why does an "anti-lynching" bill need to make mention of specific minority groups? Yes, I am well aware of the history of lynching in the US and I deplore the usual antics of the "Jesus Hates You" moral crusaders of the American Christian Right. But, surely a federal law against lynching should by default protect ALL citizens anyway?

I am assuming that for it to be kicked up to a federal crime there would have to show it was a targeted killing against a minority group.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Jan 11, 2019 1:14 am

I saw scott's post, but am a bit baffled since the last lynching I can find is, perhaps, the 1998 murder of James Byrd, in Jasper, TX. Byrd was an African American man dragged to death behind a pick up truck. Some people contend that wasn't a lynching, but others say it was. In any case, the perpetrators were charged, tried, and convicted. Two were sentenced to death and one to life imprisonment, and one of the death sentences was carried out in 2011. The second execution is scheduled for April of this year.

Prior to that, the last one I can find is 1981, when two Klansmen in Alabama hanged a randomly selected African American. Both were arrested, tried, and convicted. One was sentenced to death and executed, I don't know what the 2nd man was sentenced to.

Matthew Shepherd was killed in 1998, I'm not sure why that isn't called a lynching. Two men, Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson, were arrested, charged, tried, and convicted. Both were sentenced to two consecutive life terms.

In all three cases the perpetrators where charged and convicted under existing laws. I'm not seeing evidence that local authorities are ignoring or refusing to prosecute lynchings, though I'll admit that's a rather cursory search. If there are cases I'm unaware of I'm happy to be corrected, and will modify my opinions accordingly, but at this point I see no need for specific legislation.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Hermit » Jan 11, 2019 6:58 am

laklak wrote:I saw scott's post, but am a bit baffled since the last lynching I can find is, perhaps, the 1998 murder of James Byrd, in Jasper, TX. Byrd was an African American man dragged to death behind a pick up truck. Some people contend that wasn't a lynching, but others say it was. In any case, the perpetrators were charged, tried, and convicted. Two were sentenced to death and one to life imprisonment, and one of the death sentences was carried out in 2011. The second execution is scheduled for April of this year.

Prior to that, the last one I can find is 1981, when two Klansmen in Alabama hanged a randomly selected African American. Both were arrested, tried, and convicted. One was sentenced to death and executed, I don't know what the 2nd man was sentenced to.

Matthew Shepherd was killed in 1998, I'm not sure why that isn't called a lynching. Two men, Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson, were arrested, charged, tried, and convicted. Both were sentenced to two consecutive life terms.

In all three cases the perpetrators where charged and convicted under existing laws. I'm not seeing evidence that local authorities are ignoring or refusing to prosecute lynchings, though I'll admit that's a rather cursory search. If there are cases I'm unaware of I'm happy to be corrected, and will modify my opinions accordingly, but at this point I see no need for specific legislation.

Well, those were the cases that were investigated and prosecuted. Unless I am mistaken, Scott1328 is arguing that many other cases may have occurred but state level judicial systems have not pursued those cases because, well, Alabama... With a federal law covering lynchings, perhaps fewer of them fail to be acted on.

I do think a coverall federal law regarding murder generally would be a better approach, though.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby laklak » Jan 12, 2019 4:07 pm

Maybe, but in the current media climate I can't imagine a lynching going unreported, can you? Even in Alabama. If it makes people feel warm and fuzzy because it's now specifically illegal to lynch LBGT people then go for it, I just don't see the point. It's already illegal.

There is a federal law against murder, but it doesn't apply to the states except under certain circumstances. Fleeing across a state line, for example, or committed on federal land, or at sea (within territorial waters), that sort of thing.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Hermit » Jan 12, 2019 4:13 pm

laklak wrote:...in the current media climate I can't imagine a lynching going unreported, can you?

Yes.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby laklak » Jan 12, 2019 6:17 pm

The best thing about the contention that there are lots of unreported lynchings is when asked for some sort of backing data you can just say "it's unreported".
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jan 12, 2019 6:25 pm

but how is the FBI going to hear about those cases?
If the locals can cover it up enough to not having to prosecute as a state crime (lynching) or a ‚simple‘ murder (federal crime) what good is this legislation going to do?
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

when you chop off your neighbours head and use it as a vase, you can call it 'culture'.
it's called civilisation is when this gets you jailed for the rest of your live.
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Hermit » Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm

laklak wrote:The best thing about the contention that there are lots of unreported lynchings is when asked for some sort of backing data you can just say "it's unreported".

Almost like all those unreported rapes, eh?

No, wait, those were just examples of gold digging gone wrong or regret in the cold light of the morning.

Also, when I looked at the stand your ground and castle laws a couple of years ago I was astounded by how many killings never got as far as an investigation of any sort.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby laklak » Jan 13, 2019 3:47 am

Yeah, rape and lynching are exactly the same thing, how could I have missed that?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs