Apple continues to abuse Chinese labourforce

Hidden camera footage from BBC reporters

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Apple continues to abuse Chinese labourforce

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 19, 2014 11:12 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30540538

Secret video of 'exhausted workforce' in Chinese factory making Apple products

18 December 2014 Last updated at 19:02 GMT

A BBC investigation for Panorama has exposed poor working conditions in factories making Apple products in China.

The undercover team secretly filmed the iPhone production line and found Apple's promises to protect workers were routinely broken.

One undercover reporter - making parts for Apple computers - had to work 18 days without a day off.

Other workers were filmed falling asleep. Apple say they will investigate any concerns brought to them.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Apple continues to abuse Chinese labourforce

#2  Postby aban57 » Dec 19, 2014 9:50 pm

"Ohhhh we're so sorry about that, we absolutely didn't know. We'll change that as soon as possible"... and move production to another factory with the same problems, until the next undercover journalist uncovers it...
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Dec 20, 2014 2:04 am

At least when other companies use slave labor we get a break on prices.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby johnbrandt » Dec 20, 2014 3:21 am

I had a picture (which I of course can't locate now) which someone sent me in an email, of just one of the factory assembly lines from back when the iPhone 5 came out. It had endless rows of people at long conveyor stations in clean gear assembling the phones. The vast area was packed with people and assembly lines. It said something like this was just one assembly area of several in the factory and produced several tens of thousands of phones every day. The tag line was "Remind me again why these things cost $800 each...?"

"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby johnbrandt » Dec 20, 2014 3:28 am

Found it...at least a version of it. The other one had the comment about how much we pay for each one on it.

I'm quite sure Apple is very sorry.

Sorry they got caught...
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sciwoman » Dec 20, 2014 4:52 am

Don't other manufacturers of electronic devices also use similar factories for their goods?
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby orpheus » Dec 20, 2014 5:21 am

Sciwoman wrote:Don't other manufacturers of electronic devices also use similar factories for their goods?

I was just going to post:

Like Foxcomm, Pegatron is a contract manufacturer, and Apple is not its only client. According to the Wall Street Journal it manufactures products not only for Apple, but also for companies such as Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, and Dell. The WSJ only named these, but "such as" indicates that there are probably others as well. Moreover (and I wish I could find the source) I recall reading that Apple is far from its biggest client.

Apple is in the hotseat now. But (again) as with Foxcomm, how do other companies fare? Are they any better?
“A way a lone a last a loved a long the”

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 20, 2014 9:58 am

Sciwoman wrote:Don't other manufacturers of electronic devices also use similar factories for their goods?

I'm sure some do. 'Twas Apple that was the topic of this news item.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Briton » Dec 20, 2014 10:07 am

If only Apple's products weren't so tightly priced they might be able to ensure their workers (subbies) were treated half decently. :roll:
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 20, 2014 6:47 pm

It's true that companies other than apple use these factories, but I think it's legitimate to criticise a premium manufacturer selling extremely expensive products and making vast profits more than a company making budget offerings. When primark use low cost labour you can understand why. When burberry do it and then sell the resulting product for 5 times the price of the high street, I think they deserve more criticism.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

And the reason why they chose to point out Apple rather than all the other companies doing the same thing is because...
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 20, 2014 8:08 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

And the reason why they chose to point out Apple rather than all the other companies doing the same thing is because...

It's one of the biggest companies in the world? As well as being one of the most expensive, relatively speaking.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

It's one of the biggest companies in the world? As well as being one of the most expensive, relatively speaking.

And that's a good reason for them to give all the other companies a pass because...
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby orpheus » Dec 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Bigger than Microsoft?

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Boyle » Dec 20, 2014 8:30 pm

orpheus wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Bigger than Microsoft?

Apple's market cap is 1.6x Microsoft's. And it's the company with the highest market cap in the world by $200 billion dollars.

If you mean by employees, no, I don't think so.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Stumped » Dec 20, 2014 9:10 pm

Not really surprising
Stumped

Print view this post

#17  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 21, 2014 12:00 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

And that's a good reason for them to give all the other companies a pass because...

You'd have to ask them. I was just guessing as to their reasons....
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 21, 2014 12:00 am

orpheus wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Bigger than Microsoft?

Which part of "one of" do you not understand?
Also see my post above.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby orpheus » Dec 21, 2014 12:42 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
orpheus wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

Bigger than Microsoft?

Well, of course you're correct: saying that Apple is "one of" the biggest and most expensive does not exclude others from that category. Now, the question was not "why point out Apple?". Rather, it was "why point out Apple rather than all the other companies doing the same thing?" To answer that question, you need to say what makes Apple different than the others. The fact that it's only "one of" is precisely what makes your answer a non-answer.

Also see my post above.

Which one? Thread's moving fast - I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

edit: clarity

—James Joyce
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Dec 21, 2014 12:51 am

orpheus wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
orpheus wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Bigger than Microsoft?

Well, of course you're correct: saying that Apple is "one of" the biggest and most expensive does not exclude others from that category. Now, the question was not "why point out Apple?". Rather, it was "why point out Apple rather than all the other companies doing the same thing?" To answer that question, you need to say what makes Apple different than the others. The fact that it's only "one of" is precisely what makes your answer a non-answer.

Also see my post above.

Which one? Thread's moving fast - I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

edit: clarity

The one where I said, you should ask the BBC why they only discussed Apple.
That I was just guessing at their reasons.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs