Are Christians being persecuted in Britain?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Are Christians being persecuted in Britain?

#1  Postby DoctorE » Sep 11, 2012 12:44 pm

BBC1 9 September 2012
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZeJmFECJP4[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Are Christians being persecuted in Britain?

#2  Postby chairman bill » Sep 11, 2012 12:45 pm

No, and even if they were, they shouldn't complain. Matthew 5:10 "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Depending on which Christian you ask, they're being persecuted from London to the Lunar Colony....
It seems to be a hall mark of fundamentalist groups within religions to complain about eternal persecution.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby HomerJay » Sep 11, 2012 3:18 pm

Did you mean prosecuted?

They feel they are being driven out but we have to put up with this:

For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Galactor » Sep 11, 2012 3:24 pm

You can tell a christian is about to complain that he is being persecuted.

It usual follows the claim that christianity is worshiped by a majority and that most people, say in Britain, profess themselves to be christians.

Sometimes though, the order of these claims is reversed.
Galactor

Name: Graeme
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#6  Postby mrjonno » Sep 11, 2012 3:51 pm

If they mean man's law takes precedent over god's laws then oh yeah
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Blackadder » Sep 11, 2012 4:05 pm

As Christians, they should know all about persecution. Christians perfected the art of persecution in medieval Europe.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Peter Brown » Sep 11, 2012 4:13 pm

I’m going to stand up and state they can be.

Years and years ago, after I was discovered reading a bible to work on the bus it soon got spread about the shop floor and being bullied became a common daily occurrence afterwards. A problem ignore by main manager as he didn’t want to upset the majority who were involved.
Same thing happened to a friend at another factory, as he was singled out for wearing a large cross on a chain. He was months later fired for taking too much time off work (a couple of weeks) to support his wife who had just lost their baby close to term. Bastards!
So like it or not Christians can be persecuted, and quite harshly. I wouldn’t say at the time we deserved special privileges, just equal rights to be left in peace as I’m damn sure the bullies were allowed with management knowledge to get away with anything they did.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#9  Postby mrjonno » Sep 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Members of the public and your work colleagues may take the piss out of you if you are religious or gay for that matter but thats hardly the same as state/legal persecution. In fact while it happens in the work place its illegal
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 11, 2012 5:46 pm

chairman bill wrote:No, and even if they were, they shouldn't complain. Matthew 5:10 "Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Blessed are the cheesemakers, too.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Blackadder wrote:As Christians, they should know all about persecution. Christians perfected the art of persecutionng in medieval Europe.

Had to clear that up a bit.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Peter Brown » Sep 11, 2012 5:51 pm

But the above cases were at work weren't they. ie not wearing a cross on a plane or not thinking you could give advice to gays (far as I gather he never actually had to, he was sacked because when asked if he would he said no, so in effect it was a thought crime).

However (as if I wouldn't) I've seen it happen at state level too. Back in the late 80's laws were made to make it easier for other religions to set up a radio broadcast, but the wording excluded Christians, it was odd why exclude Christians. Even I sent a letter in prostest about these new laws. If your going to have and support faith radio, it's got to be any faith or anti faith, not just the few you want to hug politically.
Peter Brown

Print view this post

#13  Postby Tortured_Genius » Sep 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Peter Brown wrote:However (as if I wouldn't) I've seen it happen at state level too. Back in the late 80's laws were made to make it easier for other religions to set up a radio broadcast, but the wording excluded Christians, it was odd why exclude Christians. Even I sent a letter in prostest about these new laws. If your going to have and support faith radio, it's got to be any faith or anti faith, not just the few you want to hug politically.

I suspect that may be a manifestation of the "established church monopoly" thing that also prevents overtly religious music at registry offices. Remember that offically there's only one christian church in this country, which is so "oppressed" it has the country's head of state as it's leader and has it's own seats in the House of Lords.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Salinger » Sep 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Depending on which Christian you ask, they're being persecuted from London to the Lunar Colony....
It seems to be a hall mark of fundamentalist groups within religions to complain about eternal persecution.

Yup. Even when the Founding Fathers founded the Christian nation of America, they were persecuting against Christians. :coffee:
"Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison." - Thoreau, Civil Disobedience
Salinger

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs