Boy Killed by Neighborhood Watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Boy Killed by Neighborhood Watch

#1  Postby Sovereign » Mar 13, 2012 4:40 pm

The family of a 17-year-old African-American boy shot to death last month in his gated Florida community by a white Neighborhood Watch captain wants to see the captain arrested, the family's lawyer said on Wednesday.

Trayvon Martin was shot dead after he took a break from watching NBA All-Star game television coverage to walk 10 minutes to a convenience store to buy snacks including Skittles candy requested by his 13-year-old brother, Chad, the family's lawyer Ben Crump said. Continued...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/ ... 9M20120308
Sovereign

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Boy Killed by Neighborhood Watch

#2  Postby DaveScriv » Mar 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Sheesh, and I thought UK style neighbourhood watch was bad enough, and they're just a bunch of nosey curtain-twitching pensioners with nothing to do, and all day to do it in.
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby james1v » Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Why the fook hasn't this "captain" been arrested? Is it normal in the USA for the family to have to ask for his arrest? :scratch:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Now I'm not saying that it's because he was black, but what I am saying is that I doubt a white kid would have induced a case of itchy trigger finger.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Metatron » Mar 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Neighborhood watch, my ass. The word they're looking for is posse.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby AlohaChris » Mar 13, 2012 5:38 pm

And yet another asshole goes to jail for 25y-life. If the facts are correct, he cannot claim self defense. You cannot start or go to the fight and claim self defense.
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby NamelessFaceless » Mar 13, 2012 6:19 pm

That's really heart-breaking.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Weaver » Mar 13, 2012 6:36 pm

There appears to be a lot to this story - none of it good. Not only incompetent "neighborhood watch" asshole killer, but police incompetence as well.

Orlando Watch Shooting Probe Reveals Questionable Police Conduct
By MATT GUTMAN and SENI TIENABESO
ORLANDO, Fla., March 13, 2012—
go.com
ABC News has uncovered questionable police conduct in the investigation of the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager by a white neighborhood watch captain in Florida, including the alleged "correction" of at least one eyewitness' account.

According to law enforcement sources who heard Zimmerman's call to a non-emergency police number, he told a dispatcher "these a..holes always get away."

Zimmerman described Martin as suspicious because he was wearing a hooded sweatshirt and walking slowly in the rain, police later told residents at a town hall.

A dispatcher told him to wait for a police cruiser, and not leave his vehicle.

But about a minute later, Zimmerman left his car wearing a red sweatshirt and pursued Martin on foot between two rows of townhouses, about 70 yards from where the teen was going.

Lee said Zimmerman's pursuit of Martin did not of itself constitute a crime.

Witnesses told ABC News a fist fight broke out and at one point Zimmerman, who outweighed Martin by more than 100 pounds, was on the ground and that Martin was on top.

Austin Brown, 13, was walking his dog during the time of the altercation and saw both men on the ground but separated.

Brown along with several other residents heard someone cry for help, just before hearing a gunshot. Police arrived 60 seconds later and the teen was quickly pronounced dead.

According to the police report, Zimmerman, who was armed with a handgun, was found bleeding from the nose and the back of the head, standing over Martin, who was unresponsive after being shot.

An officer at the scene overheard Zimmerman saying, "I was yelling for someone to help me but no one would help me," the report said.

Witnesses told ABC News they heard Zimmerman pronounce aloud to the breathless residents watching the violence unfold "it was self-defense," and place the gun on the ground.

But after the shooting, a source inside the police department told ABC News that a narcotics detective and not a homicide detective first approached Zimmerman. The detective pepppered Zimmerman with questions, the source said, rather than allow Zimmerman to tell his story. Questions can lead a witness, the source said.

Another officer corrected a witness after she told him that she heard the teen cry for help.

The officer told the witness, a long-time teacher, it was Zimmerman who cried for help, said the witness. ABC News has spoken to the teacher and she confirmed that the officer corrected her when she said she heard the teenager shout for help.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/neighborhood-watch-shooting-trayvon-martin-probe-reveals-questionable/story?id=15907136

More at the link - ugly story.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Paul G » Mar 13, 2012 7:38 pm

Why on earth did he get out of the car?
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Weaver » Mar 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Because he wanted to be supercop, without going through all that pesky law-enforcement professional training.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby AlohaChris » Mar 13, 2012 7:43 pm

Orlando Watch Shooting Probe Reveals Questionable Police Conduct

But after the shooting, a source inside the police department told ABC News that a narcotics detective and not a homicide detective first approached Zimmerman. The detective pepppered Zimmerman with questions, the source said, rather than allow Zimmerman to tell his story. Questions can lead a witness, the source said.

Another officer corrected a witness after she told him that she heard the teen cry for help.

The officer told the witness, a long-time teacher, it was Zimmerman who cried for help, said the witness. ABC News has spoken to the teacher and she confirmed that the officer corrected her when she said she heard the teenager shout for help.

White cops whitewashing white man's story of how he killed a black kid in white neighborhood "in self defense".

I wish it was shocking. I can hear the 'questions' now:

"He became aggressive when you said 'Hi', Right?"
"You tried to leave but he blocked you and then you called for help, Right?"
"He reached for his waistband like he might have a weapon, Right?"
"And you we're afraid for your life, Right?"
"And after he tackled you and you took repeated blows to the head, you we're losing consciousness, and that's when you fired a single shot to save your own life, Right?"

:nono:
Last edited by AlohaChris on Mar 13, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Mar 13, 2012 7:50 pm

What a fucking idiot. Anyone who volunteers to be a neighborhood watch is usually unqualified to carry a firearm in my opinion.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » Mar 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Sounds very, very sad.

If there were procedural errors, then I hope they can be fixed now they've been given the oxygen of journalism. If this is as bad as it sounds, then I hope for a swift prosecution.
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby amkerman » Mar 13, 2012 8:28 pm

AlohaChris wrote:And yet another asshole goes to jail for 25y-life. If the facts are correct, he cannot claim self defense. You cannot start or go to the fight and claim self defense.

Technically :this: is correct. But in reality it comes down to who escalates the fight, and what type of force the respecting parties are using. If you start a verbal argument and a guy pulls out a knife on you and you have a gun you can usually claim self-defense, however it is much harder to prove.
Bring me gold and bring me wisdom- give me scars to bring me grace.

A wicked wit and when I use it I dash the hopes of those who hate me.

Give me love- big as a mountain.

Dave Matthews
amkerman

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby AlohaChris » Mar 13, 2012 8:59 pm

The kid was was walking down a public street minding his own business. The lone ranger jumps out of his car and confronts the kid, making him the aggressor. He had no right to stop or even question the boys presence in the neighborhood. His description of the boy's 'suspicious' behavior: walking in the rain with his hood up.
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Weaver » Mar 13, 2012 9:05 pm

WWB - Walking While Black.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby quixotecoyote » Mar 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Saw this on the news sites.

Barring a real surprise it sure looks like racist trying to play hero and the police really want to look the other way.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby AlohaChris » Mar 13, 2012 10:06 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:What a fucking idiot. Anyone who volunteers to be a neighborhood watch is usually unqualified to carry a firearm in my opinion.

I belonged to Town Watch in Philadelphia many years ago. We were explicitly forbidden from carrying any type of weapon while on patrol. We were there to reduce the number of muggings & break-ins in the neighborhood, which we did very successfully with nothing more than radios. Our job was to be eyes & ears, and to let ne'er do wells know that their favorite hunting grounds were being watched.
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Tortured_Genius » Mar 13, 2012 10:09 pm

AlohaChris wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:What a fucking idiot. Anyone who volunteers to be a neighborhood watch is usually unqualified to carry a firearm in my opinion.

I belonged to Town Watch in Philadelphia many years ago. We were explicitly forbidden from carrying any type of weapon while on patrol. We were there to reduce the number of muggings & break-ins in the neighborhood, which we did very successfully with nothing more than radios. Our job was to be eyes & ears, and to let ne'er do wells know that their favorite hunting grounds were being watched.

Doing it right! :thumbup:
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby quixotecoyote » Mar 13, 2012 10:09 pm

AlohaChris wrote:

I belonged to Town Watch in Philadelphia many years ago. We were explicitly forbidden from carrying any type of weapon while on patrol. We were there to reduce the number of muggings & break-ins in the neighborhood, which we did very successfully with nothing more than radios. Our job was to be eyes & ears, and to let ne'er do well know that their favorite hunting grounds were being watched.

I'm really glad to hear that. I had a neighborhood watch commando block me in a side street with his car when I was searching the neighborhood for cable leaks and demand to know why I was following school buses*. If he had a gun, he'd probably have been waving it around. That kind of attitude.

(*Because you can't avoid following school buses if you have to drive a residential route in the afternoon, dipshit!)
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs