Boy Scouts Refuse Meeting with Ousted Lesbian Mom

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Boy Scouts Refuse Meeting with Ousted Lesbian Mom

#1  Postby DoctorE » Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm

The Boy Scouts of America has refused to meet with lesbian mom Jennifer Tyrrell, the Ohio-based mom who was booted as den leader of her 7-year-old son’s Boy Scout troop based solely on the fact that she is a lesbian, according to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). But even more than a refusal to meet with Tyrrell the BSA reaffirmed its discriminatory position that led to her ousting in a statement to CNN’s LZ Granderson.

The BSA’s Director of Public Relations, Deron Smith said the following the statement to CNN:

"Our focus is on delivering the nation's foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training. Our mission does not include teaching young people about sex or sexual orientation, and we do not believe it is Scouting's role to introduce this topic in our youth development program."

The news broke a week ago that the BSA had kicked Tyrrell out as den leader, and just this past Saturday Tyrrell appeared at the Los Angeles GLAAD awards with her partner and children by her side. Following her ousting Tyrrell launched a Change.org petition imploring the BSA to change its policy against gay youth and leaders. The petition is up to 130,000 signatures according to a release from GLAAD.

GLAAD attempted to set up a meeting between Tyrrell and the BSA but the organization refused via email, according to a press release from GLAAD.

While the BSA stands firm in its position, Tyrrell has plenty of support, not just from her petition but also from parents of children in her son’s Pack 109 who have voiced support for her.

Continues: http://www.shewired.com/lifestyle/2012/ ... er-tyrrell
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Boy Scouts Refuse Meeting with Ousted Lesbian Mom

#2  Postby Tbickle » Apr 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Signed. Like me, there appeared to be plenty of other ex-Boy Scouts who signed it.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Apr 26, 2012 3:12 pm

The BSA right to discriminate in this manner has been confirmed by the Supreme Court, but that does not mean the Boy Scouts cannot be pressured to change this antiquated policy.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby HughMcB » Apr 26, 2012 3:21 pm

The BSA are known for not being exactly progressive in their attitudes.
"Call Kenny Loggins...'cuz you're in the Danger Zone" - Archer
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shrunk » Apr 26, 2012 4:03 pm

HughMcB wrote:The BSA are known for not being exactly progressive in their attitudes.

True, but on this issue this issue they risk falling dangerously out of step with the prevailing attitudes of society. We are reaching the point where refusing a position to someone because they are homosexual is as unacceptable as doing so because they are black or Jewish. You can already see that in the tortured and lame justification they offer for their discrimination. Not that homosexuality is evil or immoral, but "our mission does not include teaching young people about sex or sexual orientation." Yeah, I'm sure that's the real reason.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby chairman bill » Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Blimey, they'll want to ban paedophiles from being Scout Leaders next. Who will they get to fill all those vacancies?
The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Acetone » Apr 26, 2012 4:36 pm

chairman bill wrote:Blimey, they'll want to ban paedophiles from being Scout Leaders next. Who will they get to fill all those vacancies?

I hope you're not trying to say what I think you're trying to say.

Care to elaborate?
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby chairman bill » Apr 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Did you never have that problem in Canada? In the UK, if they didn't become a Catholic priest, Scout Leader was next best thing ...
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby AlohaChris » Apr 26, 2012 4:54 pm

Shrunk wrote:The BSA right to discriminate in this manner has been confirmed by the Supreme Court, but that does not mean the Boy Scouts cannot be pressured to change this antiquated policy.

It's also time to revoke their 501(c)3 status and prevent them from receiving any tax payer funds or access to military bases and public schools.

I would love to join and sign my sons up so I could be a plantiff when they kick us out for being non-believers. I do it if it wasn't unfair to my boys.
"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer for why the sun goes down at night."
- Cavil of Cylon
AlohaChris
RS Donator

Name: Chris
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Acetone » Apr 26, 2012 4:59 pm

chairman bill wrote:Did you never have that problem in Canada? In the UK, if they didn't become a Catholic priest, Scout Leader was next best thing ...

You're making it sound as though you're saying it's equivalent to ban pedophiles as it is lesbians and it seems you'd agree to banning pedophiles.
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby chairman bill » Apr 26, 2012 5:01 pm

I'm not making it sound like that at all. You might be choosing to hear it that way, but that's your affair.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Matt8819 » Apr 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Acetone wrote:
chairman bill wrote:Did you never have that problem in Canada? In the UK, if they didn't become a Catholic priest, Scout Leader was next best thing ...

You're making it sound as though you're saying it's equivalent to ban pedophiles as it is lesbians and it seems you'd agree to banning pedophiles.

I'm not sure where you got that from...
Matt8819

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Acetone wrote:

Weak, off-colour joke that probably didn't travel well.

I suspect that Bill was referring to all the paedo leaders who haven't been banned yet, as opposed to a gay leader who obviously enjoys some conmmunity support..........
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby chairman bill » Apr 26, 2012 9:23 pm

It just seems ironic that a perfectly decent person is ousted, whilst there are no doubt some truly unsavoury characters still knocking about in the organisation
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Acetone » Apr 26, 2012 9:30 pm

chairman bill wrote:It just seems ironic that a perfectly decent person is ousted, whilst there are no doubt some truly unsavoury characters still knocking about in the organisation

My mistake.

I read it completely differently than how you intended it. :oops: :oops:
Acetone

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby HughMcB » Apr 26, 2012 9:31 pm

I could see that confusion. However onward and upward lads!

Let's not forget who the real enemy is here, fucking merit badges.
"Call Kenny Loggins...'cuz you're in the Danger Zone" - Archer
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby chairman bill » Apr 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Apparently all the very best jokes are significantly misunderstood by some people. Just what I heard.
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Shrunk » Apr 26, 2012 11:30 pm

chairman bill wrote:Did you never have that problem in Canada?

We have, unfortunately:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... crecy.html
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 26, 2012 11:37 pm

I got a fucking merit badge once or twice...
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Shrunk » Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Onyx8 wrote:I got a fucking merit badge once or twice...

They give merit badges for that? If I'd known, I might have joined up.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs