Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#10441  Postby felltoearth » Feb 22, 2020 6:00 pm

jamest wrote:Wrt my last post, never forget that after France capitulated, Britain was alone in WW2 for quite some time.

Erm.... Canada? India? Australia?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#10442  Postby OlivierK » Feb 22, 2020 9:02 pm

And one should never forget how cruelly Britain was abandoned by the Czechs!
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10444  Postby campermon » Feb 22, 2020 9:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10445  Postby ronmcd » Feb 22, 2020 9:24 pm

Jamest surely won't stand for this. First he's shocked (I assume?) to discover the Polish sneakily helped Britain when we "Stood Alone", and now they're making the saintly disgraced-former-minister Priti Patel look even more shifty!
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10446  Postby Ironclad » Feb 22, 2020 10:11 pm

Ah, but maybe all the Poles will go home so they can get jobs making these. :think:
Carrot; stick.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#10447  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 23, 2020 12:32 am

Not just made in Poland, but by a Dutch-French company to boot.

https://www.dw.com/en/post-brexit-uk-passports-to-be-produced-by-french-dutch-company-in-poland/a-52477263

Post-Brexit UK passports to be produced by French-Dutch company in Poland

The UK's new navy blue passport will be a decidedly European affair. The idea of a return to a blue passport was used by the "Leave" campaign.

'Entwined with national identity'

"By returning to the iconic blue and gold design, the British passport will once again be entwined with our national identity and I cannot wait to travel on one," British Home Secretary Priti Patel said on Saturday, not addressing the fact that the passport will be produced in the bloc the UK just left.

The £260-million ($335 million, €309 million) contract was given to foreign firm Gemalto in a blind tender process by former Prime Minister Theresa May. At the time, the move prompted many critics from all sides of the Brexit issue to call the move ironic.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#10448  Postby ronmcd » Feb 23, 2020 12:42 am

This may be one of Marina Hyde's finest opening paragraphs.

According to officials from one of her former departments, Priti Patel was given to coming out of her office and inquiring: “Why is everyone so fucking useless?” Very bold. This is a bit like Donald Trump coming out of his office and asking why everyone has spectacularly stupid hair. The perma-smirking Patel has now moved on to the Home Office, where this week she was accused of bullying staff, trying to oust her most senior official, and creating an “atmosphere of fear” within the department. As opposed to outside of it, which is the norm. If nothing else, it’s a failure of management. To get the best out of people who you want to do their worst, you need to create the right working environment. It’s why the offices of S.P.E.C.T.R.E have a great creche, a smoothie bar, and two “I don’t feel like killing” days per annum for every employee.

Perma-smirking Priti Patel brings the hostile environment in-house
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10449  Postby GrahamH » Mar 06, 2020 11:41 am

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/b ... more-than-£4bn-spending-watchdog-says/ar-BB10OBrj?ocid=spartandhp

A total of £6.3 billion was allocated by the treasury to prepare for Britain's departure

That's just Government spending. Add to that whatever impact it has on the economy.

It's a shame that wasn't written on the side of a bus in 2016.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#10450  Postby jamest » Mar 10, 2020 1:20 am

You guys need to put this to bed. It's over and the union jack has left the building. Stop harping on about it as though the EU was something great. There was no love there and there is no love lost. It was all about the money, which is exactly why you're talking about money now. Not that the EU made the UK government rich or most of its citizens, of course.

The EU will be on its last legs after this virus lark anyway. Finito.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
Suspended User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10451  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 10, 2020 2:31 am

jamest wrote:You guys need to put this to bed. It's over and the union jack has left the building. Stop harping on about it as though the EU was something great. There was no love there and there is no love lost. It was all about the money, which is exactly why you're talking about money now. Not that the EU made the UK government rich or most of its citizens, of course.

Stop talking for other people jamest - you aren't the fucking spokesman of the British people.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10452  Postby jamest » Mar 10, 2020 2:43 am

Spearthrower wrote:
jamest wrote:You guys need to put this to bed. It's over and the union jack has left the building. Stop harping on about it as though the EU was something great. There was no love there and there is no love lost. It was all about the money, which is exactly why you're talking about money now. Not that the EU made the UK government rich or most of its citizens, of course.

Stop talking for other people jamest - you aren't the fucking spokesman of the British people.

Then think of me as the spokesman of the British person who voted to leave the EU 3+ years before it actually happened. All that shit in-between? That was instigated by dicks who were only concerned with losing money.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
Suspended User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10453  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 10, 2020 3:07 am

jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Then think of me as the spokesman of the British person who voted to leave the EU 3+ years before it actually happened. All that shit in-between? That was instigated by dicks who were only concerned with losing money.

No, I won't think of you like that because that's fucking stupid. You represent only your own opinion, you do not represent anyone else at all.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10454  Postby jamest » Mar 10, 2020 3:25 am

There's no love lost between any nation within Europe as for centuries/millennia we've been killing each other in the name of the power and glory of our own nations. Indeed, within the last century+ we've had two world wars caused primarily by the massive differences between us. Indeed, there's still people alive who were directly impacted by WW2.

So, spare me the spiel that we all now 'love' each other. It's a load of bollocks and you know it. The average person loves themselves foremost and then their family and friends. At a push, some still love their nation to a lesser degree but we'll never ever again see the same love for one's nation that was seen [say] at the onset of WW1 when men were seemingly desperate to join the throngs of the butchered for no apparent reason that can be attributed to anything other than for a love of one's country.

A hundred years on, only a minority of idiots would sacrifice themselves for such an obsolete ideal, and the elderly (who were around for WW2) think that the young have lost the plot. Well, they have, since they don't [in general] seem to give a shit about anything other than themselves. Selfies/facebook/instagram/ blah blah blah.

What a load of shite. I think I'd rather die on the battelfields of the Somme than in the pathetic and meaningless land I now find myself. Seriously. Back in 1916, at least, there was a semblance of being something greater than one's own self, a concept which constantly stirs me although it isn't anything to do with being British.

The desire to be famous, noticed, well known, loved by all. It's fucking pathetic, regardless of whether God exists. It turns my stomach, to be honest. Fuck Elvis. Fuck The Beatles. Great music? Maybe. Gods? Fuck off. I don't want to be a member of that group.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
Suspended User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10455  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 10, 2020 3:29 am

jamest wrote:
So, spare me the spiel that we all now 'love' each other.

What spiel was that jamest?

The one in your head?

You're right: that's a load of old bollocks.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#10456  Postby jamest » Mar 10, 2020 3:35 am

Spearthrower wrote:
jamest wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

No, I won't think of you like that because that's fucking stupid. You represent only your own opinion, you do not represent anyone else at all.

Who do you represent, squire? A serious question.

I suspect that you're almost as lost as me, since I don't feel a part of any PARTICULAR community of humans any more. You have an advantage over me, for at least you're more popular here than me, but other than that I suspect - given your roving residential experience - that you feel as lost as me when it comes to 'belonging'. Be honest.
Ora non e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest
Suspended User

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10457  Postby Spearthrower » Mar 10, 2020 4:58 am

jamest wrote:Who do you represent, squire? A serious question.

Me. Unless specifically nominated to represent some group, that's all we ever truly represent.

jamest wrote:I suspect that you're almost as lost as me, since I don't feel a part of any PARTICULAR community of humans any more. You have an advantage over me, for at least you're more popular here than me, but other than that I suspect - given your roving residential experience - that you feel as lost as me when it comes to 'belonging'. Be honest.

I don't feel 'lost' at all jamest. My particular community is and always has been the few life-long friends I have, and now my family.

I don't really feel the need for community in the way you're talking about; I'm not anti-social or particularly misanthropic, just content by myself. I am one of those people who is probably happiest when alone, I never get bored, I never run out of things to do, and I've spent a substantial portion of my life entirely alone in terms of human contact.

There is a central irony to having studied human history and culture, tribes and societies yet not wanting to be a part of one, but I've known since I was young what life means to me, and I'd never realise what I want to do by following along the rut worn into the ground by prior generations - there's just no existential need to belong to a tribe anymore, only an emotional one. But similarly, it's not something I'm proud of, or consider to be indicative of my sparkling uniqueness: it just is. As it's important to me, I don't expect it to be important to other people; in fact, I don't care to tell people about it or expect people to give a damn! ;)

Regardless, I think you're making another error. Who says I am more popular than you? I wasn't aware there was any popularity polls around. I expect if there were, you'd find I am far from popular with a slice of the demographic here - I've been told as much by a fair number of people on this forum over the years; quite specifically in some cases that I am the most horrible human they've ever encountered. :cheers:

I've no doubt that some people like some of the things I write, but I don't write to gain kudos or appreciation from others; I write for purely selfish reasons. I think you have a tendency to pretend to yourself that you're something distinct from others and that's what makes you so abrasive, always blowing your own horn, but it also warps your perspective where you view everyone as a collective distinct from your individuality. For example, you seem to believe it's only you who takes positions contrary to the mainstream of the membership, but it's simply not true; to name just one example, I consider the generally widespread notion here that babies/bricks/inanimate objects are atheist to be nonsensical bollocks and argued that position regardless of the number of people who maintained it. I will always state my views precisely because they're my views, not because I'm looking for popularity points.

Now, I can be just as abrasive as you - perhaps more so truth be told - so the question is why your type of abrasiveness attracts more opprobrium than mine. I would submit that it's entirely due to the fact that while I can be a right cunt, I don't tell people that I am a special cunt who's superior to them... let alone do so nearly every time I post. How often, for example, do you see me go off on one about how brilliant I am, or how people's refusal to accept my arguments means they're thick?

I don't think your positions are actually very contentious at all - perhaps way back you had some actually coherent positions worthy of discussion, but for many years your contributions here have either been absurd to the point of being embarrassingly devoid of reason, or apparently written just to troll people for personal gratification. The former deserve to be trampled into the ground but wouldn't automatically cause you to be met with general personal hostility, it's the latter which nets you the response that you surely must have learned by now is a consequence of that action. Ironically, given the topic at hand, it's actually conspicuously British to pop self-inflated wind-bags, so if we're going to be waving nationalist ideals around, perhaps this is one of those quintessentially British things you might want to start participating in rather than being the punchline of.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10458  Postby GrahamH » Mar 10, 2020 6:21 am

jamest wrote:There's no love lost between any nation within Europe as for centuries/millennia we've been killing each other in the name of the power and glory of our own nations.

A hundred years on, only a minority of idiots would sacrifice themselves for such an obsolete ideal

Back in 1916, at least, there was a semblance of being something greater than one's own self.

Doesn't that sum up the absolute absurdity of brexit?

You wrote that garbage without intended irony, didn't you?

In 2016 17.4 million people in britain voted to turn away from something greater than themselves and their own island and to reject the very thing created to foster a community of trade and culture to defuse jingoistic nationalism that fed all those wars.

You are part of "a minority of idiots [who] would sacrifice themselves for such an obsolete ideal".
"Rule Britannia".
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#10459  Postby ronmcd » Mar 10, 2020 10:53 am

jamest wrote:There's no love lost between any nation within Europe as for centuries/millennia we've been killing each other in the name of the power and glory of our own nations. Indeed, within the last century+ we've had two world wars caused primarily by the massive differences between us. Indeed, there's still people alive who were directly impacted by WW2.

So, spare me the spiel that we all now 'love' each other. It's a load of bollocks and you know it. The average person loves themselves foremost and then their family and friends. At a push, some still love their nation to a lesser degree but we'll never ever again see the same love for one's nation that was seen [say] at the onset of WW1 when men were seemingly desperate to join the throngs of the butchered for no apparent reason that can be attributed to anything other than for a love of one's country.

A hundred years on, only a minority of idiots would sacrifice themselves for such an obsolete ideal, and the elderly (who were around for WW2) think that the young have lost the plot. Well, they have, since they don't [in general] seem to give a shit about anything other than themselves. Selfies/facebook/instagram/ blah blah blah.

What a load of shite. I think I'd rather die on the battelfields of the Somme than in the pathetic and meaningless land I now find myself. Seriously. Back in 1916, at least, there was a semblance of being something greater than one's own self, a concept which constantly stirs me although it isn't anything to do with being British.

The desire to be famous, noticed, well known, loved by all. It's fucking pathetic, regardless of whether God exists. It turns my stomach, to be honest. Fuck Elvis. Fuck The Beatles. Great music? Maybe. Gods? Fuck off. I don't want to be a member of that group.

Siri, find me the single worst take ever on the EU and how it's formation relates to war in Europe.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs