Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#10481  Postby Hermit » Aug 26, 2020 2:06 am

OlivierK wrote:That's bizarre.

Abbott's not "forthright", he's just an arsehole, and a dumb one at that. His only electoral tactic was similar to what the Trumps are doing now - shouting about doom if the other side wins. It's not a very useful skill for making trade deals.

On the contrary. Boris Johnson could not have picked a better man for the job. As he said, the board's role is to “champion exports and inward and outward investment to deliver economic growth and prosperity”. Tony Abbot's eloquence makes him a top negotiator.

Old onion breath will just have to take care not to get too close to the people he talks to.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#10482  Postby Matt_B » Aug 26, 2020 3:57 am

I suppose Abbott did manage to conclude trade deals between Australia and several other countries (China, Japan and South Korea) while he was in office, but even that was mostly just a case of signing on the dotted line after a lengthy period of negotiations over the course of which several governments came and went.

Still, I suspect his most eminent qualification for being a Brexit negotiator, or indeed any role with the current British government, is that he's a right-wing swivel-eyed loon. He's easily one of the most suitable people on the planet in that sense.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10483  Postby Fenrir » Aug 26, 2020 5:42 am

Lol

Rabbit's in charge of losing Britain money.

Should be a roaring success.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#10485  Postby Fenrir » Aug 26, 2020 9:09 am

Hope you've got a heap of coal stashed somewhere.

If not don't worry, Tones'll get ya some.

Cheap!

-ish
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#10486  Postby Fallible » Aug 31, 2020 8:16 pm

*Busy constructing SOS sign out of white pebbles in the back garden.*
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#10490  Postby OlivierK » Sep 07, 2020 11:17 pm

Well of course the Brexit deal the UK did with the EU makes no sense. No version of Brexit makes sense.

That's why the UK has hired Tony Abbott as a trade envoy. Any competent trade envoy would recommend joining the EU as the most obviously beneficial trade strategy available to the UK.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10491  Postby Animavore » Sep 09, 2020 2:31 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10492  Postby Evolving » Sep 09, 2020 2:55 pm

Ouch! Delicious.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#10494  Postby chairman bill » Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am

When Johnson came up with his Withdrawal Agreement, it was a brilliant idea and he sacked the 21 Tory MPs who voted against it. Now it's a crap idea and he's whipped his MPs to oppose it, threatening to sack any who support the Withdrawal Agreement he previously sacked people for opposing. You couldn't make it up.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10495  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Sep 15, 2020 11:03 am

chairman bill wrote:When Johnson came up with his Withdrawal Agreement, it was a brilliant idea and he sacked the 21 Tory MPs who voted against it. Now it's a crap idea and he's whipped his MPs to oppose it, threatening to sack any who support the Withdrawal Agreement he previously sacked people for opposing. You couldn't make it up.

someone did in 1948 the year 1984 was published :coffee:
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )

meh
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#10496  Postby zerne » Oct 17, 2020 9:57 am

It looks like UK has now walked away from negotiations and a No Deal or "Australia Deal" (Johnson's code for No Deal) looks increasingly likely. Johnson is, of course, blaming the EU. He seems unaware that it negotiates in the interests of its member states and the UK has left.

So much for holding all the cards. Bunch of fannies.
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10497  Postby OlivierK » Oct 17, 2020 9:30 pm

Australia is about 90% of the way through negotiations to ditch its trade framework with the EU in favour of a fuller free trade agreement.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10498  Postby ronmcd » Oct 17, 2020 9:42 pm

OlivierK wrote:Australia is about 90% of the way through negotiations to ditch its trade framework with the EU in favour of a fuller free trade agreement.

Well, of course. What a shitshow.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10499  Postby OlivierK » Oct 17, 2020 10:26 pm

To be fair, I have no idea whether Johnson is aspiring to have a deal like Australia's existing one, or our pending one.

In any case, the UK will probably be aspiring to something else entirely in a fortnight once it's established that their current "Australia Deal" plans are not actually based on any more than wishful thinking.

This piece in the Conversation isn't a bad summary of the whole business: https://theconversation.com/brexit-aust ... hip-142323
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10500  Postby Matt_B » Oct 17, 2020 11:45 pm

I'd think that pretty much all the deal's the Tories have gone through with countries in the name - Switzerland, Norway, Canada, Australia, others? - are simply based on the fact that those countries have a higher standard of living than the UK rather than the reality of the details of how they actually trade with the EU.

We're never going to see any Brexiteer invoke a Vietnam or Ukraine style deal - despite both countries having the sort of free trade agreement Johnson says that he wants - because they need to maintain that fantasy.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs