Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#10761  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 24, 2022 12:03 am

Greg the Grouper wrote:Seems to me like you guys took him too seriously, in spite of the blatant impotent rage. Why not simply mock him and move on?

No one messes with my fried chicken.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10762  Postby ronmcd » Oct 24, 2022 12:12 am

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Just like the drooling knuckle draggers we have over here do.

Knuckle draggers? You know you are losing right? Do you really believe that being smug, obnoxious and a flat out liar is going to win you any votes? You folks got your arses kicked in the referendum and now you take the moral high ground? Go ahead, it doesn’t bother me. If we assume that Brexit can be stopped then the only way is a second referendum at the very least, and all you people want to do is alienate those who voted against you by talking down to them. By all means, keep this obnoxious nonsense up. All it will achieve is pushing us further out of the EU. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but we had a free vote on the matter and you lost. If you cannot accept it then that only means one thing, that you are destined for the political wilderness. You are all still talking to me as though your intelligence and logical thinking means dick. See if I give a shit. You people lost the referendum and have lost every single fight that came afterwards. If you want to keep on being the world’s smartest losers then be my guest. In the meantime we will continue implementing Brexit and every single one of you will accept it and do as you are fucking told.

If I am such a knuckle dragging idiot then how stupid are you that you can’t beat me? See if I give a flying fuck about what you call me. Every single one of you is due for a humbling and the longer you resist it, the worse it is going to be. Never in my life have I seen so many people destined for a fall. One way or another you will be brought down to Earth and you will have to eat the shit you have been dishing out to others, and the longer you act this way, the funnier it will be.

Your spittle-flecked rant is amusing, but even funnier as you haven't noticed The_Metatron isn't in Europe, never mind UK, so none of your post makes any sense whatsoever.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10763  Postby Greg the Grouper » Oct 24, 2022 12:54 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Greg the Grouper wrote:Seems to me like you guys took him too seriously, in spite of the blatant impotent rage. Why not simply mock him and move on?

No one messes with my fried chicken.

Wiser words have never been said.
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Greg the Grouper

Name: Patrick

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10764  Postby Seabass » Oct 24, 2022 12:55 am

What is it with racists and fried chicken? "I will insult those dark people by associating them with delicious foods that normal people love, like fried chicken, watermelon, and tacos." :picard:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#10765  Postby Alan C » Oct 24, 2022 1:45 am

Prefer grilled chicken myself, Nandos all the way.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#10766  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 24, 2022 2:32 am

Alan C wrote:Prefer grilled chicken myself, Nandos all the way.

Racist!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10767  Postby Alan C » Oct 24, 2022 6:35 am

:lol:

Do they have that franchise in the UK?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#10768  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 24, 2022 7:28 am

I believe they do now, but they didn't when I last lived there. Someone resident would have to confirm. But hard to beat a 1 pound chicken burger or 7 when you're drunk.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#10769  Postby Tortured_Genius » Oct 24, 2022 7:42 am

There's at least 1 Nandos in every city in the UK.

The franchise moved in about 10 years ago or so. I went to the local one once about 8 years ago on a work thing (it was a bit grotty and not very clean).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10770  Postby mindhack » Oct 24, 2022 9:26 am

For someone who proclaims to be happy you appear pretty unhappy, Seven. I’ve seen this before with people who voted for Brexit. Maybe you don’t know how you come across?
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#10771  Postby don't get me started » Oct 24, 2022 12:09 pm

mindhack wrote:For someone who proclaims to be happy you appear pretty unhappy, Seven. I’ve seen this before with people who voted for Brexit. Maybe you don’t know how you come across?

It was quite a mix of contradictory stances.

There was the "growing up in the north, under the lash of Thatcher" claiming some kind of victim or 'school of hard knocks' status and then soon after that the, "I'm doing alright, if other's are struggling, so what?" mindset that Thatcher would have approved of.

Then we had the "don't dare belittle the working classes, they are a lot more intelligent than you think" topic, followed by "they'll assault you if you disagree with them" assertion."

Followed by the "we are proud English and we extricated ourselves from out under the thumb of our German oppressors in a show of national spirit", quickly tailed with, "bloody Scots whingers blaming all of their problems on the English. Bloody fantasy land these Jocks are living in with their made up tales of foreign, unaccountable power mongers disregarding their interests."

Oh, and apparently his town is now booming since they got out of Europe. All of the low end businesses that were infesting the high street have been removed. So, people who demonstrated business acumen and were serving the local community were somehow at fault. Hey man, I thought we let the marketplace decide and if that's what people want, then it is not the place of government to interfere and manipulate conditions to favour some businesses rather than others. Don't want none of that regulation and red tape now, do we?

(One wonders why the town centre was in such a dilapidated state...I mean, the Brexit party has been in power for quite a few years. Poor old Tories, powerless since the 1980's to effect the "miracle on the Tyne/Tees/Mersey" etc. because of the dead hand of Brussels...)

And rounded off with the bold assertion that democratic politics is based on winner takes all - we get all the prizes and you go home empty handed. Yeah, that's not how democracies work.

All of the above framed in somewhat emotive, aggressive terms.

I rather think that the poster has, as you mention, a rather limited understanding of how he comes across. Probably doesn't care much either...
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#10772  Postby felltoearth » Oct 24, 2022 1:16 pm

I forgot that asshole was still around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10773  Postby Thommo » Oct 24, 2022 4:19 pm

This is the guy who thinks masculinity means controlled brutality, right?
Thommo

Print view this post

#10774  Postby Regina » Oct 24, 2022 5:53 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Well, if you can't defeat an argument that's based on evidence and reason, you can always violently threaten and remove that person from sight - argument won!

The UK's version of QAnon - feelies over facts.

Yes. When pressed for facts, we get deflection.

Seven should be able to rattle off piles and piles of things that are now better after Brexit. Instead, we get a threat of violence.

Knuckle draggers? You know you are losing right? Do you really believe that being smug, obnoxious and a flat out liar is going to win you any votes? You folks got your arses kicked in the referendum and now you take the moral high ground? Go ahead, it doesn’t bother me. If we assume that Brexit can be stopped then the only way is a second referendum at the very least, and all you people want to do is alienate those who voted against you by talking down to them. By all means, keep this obnoxious nonsense up. All it will achieve is pushing us further out of the EU. I hate to be the one to break this to you, but we had a free vote on the matter and you lost. If you cannot accept it then that only means one thing, that you are destined for the political wilderness. You are all still talking to me as though your intelligence and logical thinking means dick. See if I give a shit. You people lost the referendum and have lost every single fight that came afterwards. If you want to keep on being the world’s smartest losers then be my guest. In the meantime we will continue implementing Brexit and every single one of you will accept it and do as you are fucking told.

If I am such a knuckle dragging idiot then how stupid are you that you can’t beat me? See if I give a flying fuck about what you call me. Every single one of you is due for a humbling and the longer you resist it, the worse it is going to be. Never in my life have I seen so many people destined for a fall. One way or another you will be brought down to Earth and you will have to eat the shit you have been dishing out to others, and the longer you act this way, the funnier it will be.

See if I give shit….See if I give a flying fuck..

No, you obviously don‘t, hence the rant. :rofl:
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#10775  Postby Regina » Oct 24, 2022 6:09 pm

don't get me started wrote:
mindhack wrote:For someone who proclaims to be happy you appear pretty unhappy, Seven. I’ve seen this before with people who voted for Brexit. Maybe you don’t know how you come across?

It was quite a mix of contradictory stances.

There was the "growing up in the north, under the lash of Thatcher" claiming some kind of victim or 'school of hard knocks' status and then soon after that the, "I'm doing alright, if other's are struggling, so what?" mindset that Thatcher would have approved of.

Then we had the "don't dare belittle the working classes, they are a lot more intelligent than you think" topic, followed by "they'll assault you if you disagree with them" assertion."

Followed by the "we are proud English and we extricated ourselves from out under the thumb of our German oppressors in a show of national spirit", quickly tailed with, "bloody Scots whingers blaming all of their problems on the English. Bloody fantasy land these Jocks are living in with their made up tales of foreign, unaccountable power mongers disregarding their interests."

Oh, and apparently his town is now booming since they got out of Europe. All of the low end businesses that were infesting the high street have been removed. So, people who demonstrated business acumen and were serving the local community were somehow at fault. Hey man, I thought we let the marketplace decide and if that's what people want, then it is not the place of government to interfere and manipulate conditions to favour some businesses rather than others. Don't want none of that regulation and red tape now, do we?

(One wonders why the town centre was in such a dilapidated state...I mean, the Brexit party has been in power for quite a few years. Poor old Tories, powerless since the 1980's to effect the "miracle on the Tyne/Tees/Mersey" etc. because of the dead hand of Brussels...)

And rounded off with the bold assertion that democratic politics is based on winner takes all - we get all the prizes and you go home empty handed. Yeah, that's not how democracies work.

All of the above framed in somewhat emotive, aggressive terms.

I rather think that the poster has, as you mention, a rather limited understanding of how he comes across. Probably doesn't care much either...

Actually the claim that they got rid of their German oppressors is flat out wrong.
The royal family is still hanging around as far as I know.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#10776  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 24, 2022 11:52 pm

SevenZarkSeven wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Well, if you can't defeat an argument that's based on evidence and reason, you can always violently threaten and remove that person from sight - argument won!

The UK's version of QAnon - feelies over facts.

Yes. When pressed for facts, we get deflection.

Seven should be able to rattle off piles and piles of things that are now better after Brexit. Instead, we get a threat of violence.

Do you consider yourself a knuckle dragging idiot?

Because, I compared your behavior of deflecting simple questions about your position to knuckle draggers we have over here. In the United States, where I am. Not in the UK.

From here, you sure are acting like a knuckle dragger acts when asked simple questions.

Here’s how it looks from the outside, and it ain’t good: Your country followed the populists and went full retard regarding EU membership. Your ruling party cannot produce prime ministers that can stay in office as long as the house cat at 10 Downing Street has. Both of these major events diminish your country’s influence in the world.

Now, we’re having plenty of fun from our own knuckle draggers, to be sure. But, you really should know how your pet ideas look from the outside.

You should further understand that when you use words like “.. .you will have to eat the shit you have been dishing out to others, and the longer you act this way, the funnier it will be.” You remove any motivation whatsoever for anyone who doesn’t think as you do to ever actually listen to you.

And THAT is what I think pains you most. No one listens to you. Your ideas exist to be mocked, to show others their value.

Unless of course, you care to start rattling off some examples of things that are objectively better now because of Britain leaving the EU. Come on, man. Objective. If the benefits of the decision exist, they should be legion by now.

Or, perhaps you have some more deflection you’d like to present.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10777  Postby jamest » Oct 25, 2022 1:11 am

The EU is in dire trouble, economically. In fact, the whole world is in dire trouble right now, economically, including the USA. Nobody can really point a finger at the UK, economically, and laugh, whilst all boats are sinking.

Playing devil's advocate, the point of Brexit was regaining sovereignty, for much of that was lost by being a member of the EU. What amuses me is that 'outsiders' like the Metatron consider Brexit voters as retards. Yet, at what point has he considered whether he would vote for a situation in which the USA lost a significant measure of its sovereignty in favour of [perhaps] more favourable economic conditions for his country? Because I don't think for one moment that he would ever trade his country's sovereignty for extra dollars for the US.

Capitalism has been in trouble for a long time. When I started the bitcoin thread in early 2019, before anyone knew anything about covid, I already knew that the whole house of cards was doomed. The major red flag was hoisted in the financial crisis of 2008ish, but the writing has been on the wall since Nixon's time. There's been a fundamental inevitability to it all coming crashing down and, right now, we are witnessing this event happening.

Ultimately, the USA will be the last man/currency standing (check out the dollar milkshake theory - whereby all currencies rapidly decline and implode relative to the USD, something that is happening right now). But there's no hope for the last domino, either.

The Conservative party have made many mistakes. The main one was accelerating the destruction of the UK currency and economy via QE & lockdown strategies from early 2020. Back then I distinctly remember saying that the destruction of the world's economy would have far more disastrous implications for the global population than a 'bad cold', but of course the short-sightedness which pervaded society at that time ruled that I was a heartless bastard. I was in a very small minority of people that knew that what is happening now was bound to happen. The rooster has come home to roost.

So, spare me the bollocks about Brexit being the policy that has sunk Britain. For Britain shall not sink alone, even if it sinks earlier than others. I'm just thankful that whatever now happens to the UK will be in the hands of UK politicians, as opposed to half-wits on the continent.

So, yes, fuck the EU.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10778  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 25, 2022 1:13 am

Ahh, yes. The politicians who have shorter terms of service than the government house cat. Their hands.

I’m sure it’ll be just fine.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10779  Postby jamest » Oct 25, 2022 1:30 am

The_Metatron wrote:Ahh, yes. The politicians who have shorter terms of service than the government house cat. Their hands.

I’m sure it’ll be just fine.

I'm quite sure that it won't be fine, for any of us, but let's not pretend that Brexit has anything to do with this. Further, there have been 5 prime ministers in 6 years, here:

1) David Cameron: resigned because the UK voted to leave the EU. What a daft arrogant bastard.
2) Theresa May: resigned because she couldn't implement Brexit, the wishes of her people. A failure.
3) Boris Johnson: kicked out for telling porkies about having a few beers after office hours, during lockdown. A policy he was badgered into implementing. That was his failure.
4) Liz Truss: resigned because she apparently knew less about economics than most of the population. A fucking idiot.
5) Rishi Sunak. Got the job today. The best qualified for it, economically speaking, but even Jesus cannot save the UK economy now. I'll wish him all the best anyway.

Don't call UK citizens who value their own sovereignty more than £$ retards unless you'd be willing to make a trade for the USA which seriously diluted its sovereignty. I'm almost 100% certain you wouldn't make that trade.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10780  Postby Tortured_Genius » Oct 25, 2022 2:46 am

I can respect Jamest's argument for sovereignty and was hoping for a similarly reasoned argument from Seven - alas it was he who descended into name calling and a crazed word-salad.

I think the argument from sovereignty is wrong on a number of levels, not least because any and every trade deal involves some sort of trade-off for sovereignty (think of the results of having to trade for oil in dollars). To my mind the benefits of EU membership far outweighed the limits put on UK sovereignty - most of those limits being as a result of other agreements and treaties which we still operate under anyway. Specifically things like the ECHR which was partly drafted by the UK in the first place, the prospect of the UK dropping that and other basic human rights legislation in the name of "sovereignty" is frankly terrifying.

The comparison Jamest makes with the USA is flawed since the USA is already a federated state. A more apt comparison would be if a US state were to secede from the Union, and there's ample evidence on how well that went in the past.

As a side note, for consistency, if sovereignty is that important then there should be no problem with Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish independence.

The deal trading some limited sovereignty for free movement and trade with other EU members was pretty sweet. It was only really onerous if you wanted to do something like ignore human rights or go full-fascist (and even then, you can go a long way down that road without leaving, look at Hungary). It's a pity my kids and grandkids don't have the freedom to live, work and travel in the EU that I had.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs