Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#121  Postby Byron » Jun 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Well, that didn't take long:- :lol:
British negotiators have capitulated to key European demands for a phased approach to Brexit talks, agreeing to park discussions on free trade until they have thrashed out the cost of the multibillion-euro UK divorce settlement.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby Pulsar » Jun 19, 2017 8:08 pm

"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#123  Postby newolder » Jun 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#124  Postby mcgruff » Jun 19, 2017 9:08 pm

I honestly thought the UK delegation would be curtly told to piss off and don't come back until they have a clear plan and a government which can deliver on any promises it might make. Until then, all negotiations are meaningless. A new government could arrive at any moment and might choose to take a completely different direction.
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#126  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 19, 2017 9:57 pm

mcgruff wrote:I honestly thought the UK delegation would be curtly told to piss off and don't come back until they have a clear plan and a government which can deliver on any promises it might make. Until then, all negotiations are meaningless. A new government could arrive at any moment and might choose to take a completely different direction.

To put not too finer point on it that is exactly what happened.

The UK accepted the EU agenda; negotiations one week a month and the other three weeks are for the EU negotiating team to consult the 27 countries on proposals made in the week of negotiations.

This is going to be a very slow process. I wonder if the Brexiteers just imagined how slow this is going to be. This is not snail speed. It is paint drying speed.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Byron » Jun 19, 2017 10:04 pm

The headbangers will be living up to their name, and then some. Padded hats*, STAT.

* or cells, those work too
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm

ronmcd wrote:

Well. That's just awesome.

Did you read the comments? Brilliant. Some Brits do understand and just maybe. We can all dream.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#129  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Byron wrote:The headbangers will be living up to their name, and then some. Padded hats*, STAT.

* or cells, those work too

I really would just like to talk to Davis. It would be interesting to hear how it feels to go through a combine harvester.
That is going to happen every month. He must enjoy SM as well.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Tzelemel » Jun 20, 2017 10:15 am

Apparently, the Government is still pushing for a UK-based spaceport.

Queen's Speech: Government to announce plans for commercial space flights and ports for spaceships

The Queen’s Speech will also include measures to improve conditions for the 100,000 drivers of plug-in vehicles by 'removing barriers that are preventing more drivers switching to electric'.

Powers planned by the Government aiming to pave the way for commercial space flights in Britain will be included in the Queen’s Speech alongside a raft of investments in transport infrastructure.

The legislation, according to Department for Transport (DfT), will allow the launch of satellites from the UK for the first time, horizontal flights to the edge of space for scientific experiments and the establishment of spaceports in regions across Britain...

Source: Independent

I'm guessing they're planning to pull out of the ESA as well?
Tzelemel

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#131  Postby ronmcd » Jun 20, 2017 10:25 am

Okay, I'm sorry, but no. No.

Brussels buzz- if @IanDuncanMEP joins Scotland Office in Lords dealing with #Brexit PM will claim Scotland now represented at EU talks.

https://twitter.com/holyroodmandy

ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#132  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 20, 2017 12:30 pm

Tzelemel wrote:Apparently, the Government is still pushing for a UK-based spaceport.

Queen's Speech: Government to announce plans for commercial space flights and ports for spaceships

The Queen’s Speech will also include measures to improve conditions for the 100,000 drivers of plug-in vehicles by 'removing barriers that are preventing more drivers switching to electric'.

Powers planned by the Government aiming to pave the way for commercial space flights in Britain will be included in the Queen’s Speech alongside a raft of investments in transport infrastructure.

The legislation, according to Department for Transport (DfT), will allow the launch of satellites from the UK for the first time, horizontal flights to the edge of space for scientific experiments and the establishment of spaceports in regions across Britain...

Source: Independent

I'm guessing they're planning to pull out of the ESA as well?

I would say there more important matters to talk about.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Pound is down to a new low: €1.134. Enjoy your foreign holidays.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#134  Postby Arnold Layne » Jun 20, 2017 1:20 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Pound is down to a new low: €1.134. Enjoy your foreign holidays.

Well, although that's low. It's not a new low.

Believe me, I know about this sort of thing as I live in France but have my pension paid in pounds, so Brexit has, already, effectively wiped nearly 25% off my gross income.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#135  Postby zulumoose » Jun 20, 2017 1:30 pm

You think you got hit bad, I lost a value of about 2 years salary in an estate that was settled in pounds after the Brexit vote.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#136  Postby Teague » Jun 20, 2017 1:32 pm

With a 72% turn out, 48.1 voted to stay in, 51.9% out.

What fucking moron allows a vote that close to decide (does anyone know what the margin for error was?) when you have almost 30% of eligible voters not voting not to mention mid teens who can't vote but will have to live with the decision.

So basically, about 3% of the population knew what Brexit was actually about but we allowed 38% of the country to win over 62% in a decision that could not only fuck things up completely for the UK (like devaluing the pound - oops, too late) but has put another divide between us and Scotland and from Byron's post above, looks like we can't negotiate shit because why would we be able to?

We hold no cards and if we want to come back, ever, then Europe will be rubbing its palms together (though reuniting on the EU terms might actually be better) - the world is coming together, not breaking off so well done the fucktards that voted us out because you were too thick to understand anything.

lol - vote a la dumb
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#137  Postby mrjonno » Jun 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Who is more of a moron the moron electorate or the so called intelligent people who allow the morons to vote?
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#138  Postby mrjonno » Jun 20, 2017 3:08 pm

Are the baby boomer generation just sociopaths, would explain a lot in both the UK and the US. Not sure it applies anywhere else in Europe. Was there a baby boom in Europe after WW2?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/baby-boomers-sociopaths_us_58b9a358e4b0d2821b4dd797
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Byron » Jun 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Teague wrote:With a 72% turn out, 48.1 voted to stay in, 51.9% out.

What fucking moron allows a vote that close to decide (does anyone know what the margin for error was?) when you have almost 30% of eligible voters not voting not to mention mid teens who can't vote but will have to live with the decision.

So basically, about 3% of the population knew what Brexit was actually about but we allowed 38% of the country to win over 62% in a decision that could not only fuck things up completely for the UK (like devaluing the pound - oops, too late) but has put another divide between us and Scotland and from Byron's post above, looks like we can't negotiate shit because why would we be able to?

We hold no cards and if we want to come back, ever, then Europe will be rubbing its palms together (though reuniting on the EU terms might actually be better) - the world is coming together, not breaking off so well done the fucktards that voted us out because you were too thick to understand anything.

lol - vote a la dumb

Simple majority's standard in referenda, including Ireland, and Switzerland, the referenda king. A minimum turnout's a possibility, but the EU vote would've far exceeded any reasonable suggestion. Its biggest flaw was in not requiring a double majority of the UK's constituent parts, as Australia and Switzerland do.

As for those who couldn't be bothered to vote, in a country with some of the laxest postal voting rules on earth, they're in no position to be complaining now. My sympathy's with those British expats denied a vote, and resident EU citizens unable to vote on their own futures.

Fortunately, the UK's weak negotiating position should see the necessary compromises made.
Kirk, Enterprise

Byron

Male

Print view this post

#140  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jun 20, 2017 3:52 pm

mrjonno wrote:Are the baby boomer generation just sociopaths, would explain a lot in both the UK and the US. Not sure it applies anywhere else in Europe. Was there a baby boom in Europe after WW2?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/baby-boomers-sociopaths_us_58b9a358e4b0d2821b4dd797

There was a huge one here but later than Britain. The Dutch population was 5 million after the war the same as Belgium. By 1960 it was 8 million and Belgium was still roughly 5 million. You got bonuses from the government for having kids in Belgium you did not. It put extreme pressure on everything. IMHO is was not well done. By the 80's there were too many schools and churches. They had been built far too fast. The one thing we were not left with was a shortage of health care. I think France and Germany also had a baby boom.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs