Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#1561  Postby Thommo » Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm

mrjonno wrote:The only real issues with the EU is its too democratic and not integrated enough. So reform would be streamlining it (ie less democratic) and working closer together (ie more integration)

That might be the only issue for you it doesn't seem to be for anyone else though. Personally I have at least some concerns with the democratic deficit that results from the EU having political powers wielded by the civil service, who are unelected, as a single example of other issues that result fairly fundamentally from its structure.

mrjonno wrote:You can't reason with unreasonable people, need to work on ensuring brexiters die of old age and suffer to the maximum due to austerity ++ we will get from leaving.

Yes, nothing shows how hard you've tried to be reasonable like wishing death on people who disagree with you. Burn those heretics and behead the infidels and all that.

mrjonno wrote:Brexiters are not my people, in fact I hardly see them as the same species they are my enemy in exactly the same way as ISIS are and should be treated that way

Again, nothing screams reason and intellect like advocating killing people and pretending that people who voted freely and fairly in a democratic election for something you disagree with are literally sub-human.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1562  Postby mrjonno » Jan 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Politics isn't a debate its a civil war with a few rules to keep it reasonably civil, I will use my vote to hurt people as you have used yours to hurt others. Mindless violence is pointless but don't for one second pretend voting isn't the use of force/violence,

We have far more that divides us than we have in common
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1563  Postby Thommo » Jan 10, 2018 4:39 pm

That is so much horseshit.

If you vote to "hurt people" that's a you problem.

If you can't distinguish between voting and violence then you've no place at all calling anyone else a "thickie".
Thommo

Print view this post

#1564  Postby mrjonno » Jan 10, 2018 4:42 pm

How is forcing your views on others not violence, the fact that I can force my views on you and you can force on them doesn't make it any less force. Possibly closer to a boxing match than all our war but still extremely nasty
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1565  Postby Thommo » Jan 10, 2018 4:46 pm

mrjonno wrote:How is forcing your views on others not violence...

In the same way that tying your shoes isn't washing the dishes. Jesus wept.

Two different things are two different things. And that's without even getting into the fact that you apparently think voting in a democracy is "forcing your views on others".

I'll be honest, I don't actually think you can really believe anything remotely this fucking stupid, or be having a problem with concepts quite this basic.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1566  Postby Fallible » Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm

But how is eating chocolate not participating in the Pamplona bull run?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#1567  Postby surreptitious57 » Jan 10, 2018 10:45 pm

I think it was Jefferson or Washington who said that democracy was the tyranny of the majority upon the minority
And if you accept that as a basic truth then it could reasonably be argued that voting is indeed a form of violence
But democracy is the least worst option so for all its faults it is much better than and preferable to all the others
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#1568  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 11, 2018 10:28 am

A little light reading on the effects of Brexit on London:

Greater London Authority: Preparing for Brexit
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1569  Postby GrahamH » Jan 11, 2018 2:43 pm

Farage says maybe there should be a second referendum:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/b ... tp#image=1
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#1570  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 11, 2018 4:17 pm

Just covering himself. He knows the mess the UK will be in and is just covering back and trying to avoid having his name associated with it. Not good on the CV. "I wanted a second referendum but they would not listen".

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1571  Postby Thommo » Jan 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Another interesting story doing the rounds today, marking a potential division and serious change of rhetoric from the EU:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 52941.html
Thommo

Print view this post

#1572  Postby Teague » Jan 11, 2018 4:52 pm

GrahamH wrote:Farage says maybe there should be a second referendum:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/b ... tp#image=1

Nigel Farage has said it may be time to hold a second referendum on Brexit to put an end to the “moaning” of politicians who have not accepted the previous vote.

Bullshit. Nobody wins a vote and then thinks it's a good idea to support another vote where they would most likely lose. I assume he's realised how bad it is if we leave the EU but obviously can't say anything and this is literally the only card he can play to support another vote and then pretending to be butthurt when the 2nd referrendum keeps us in the EU.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1573  Postby Thommo » Jan 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Teague wrote:Nobody wins a vote and then thinks it's a good idea to support another vote where they would most likely lose.

Why do you think he thinks he would lose? Opinion polls seem to suggest the vast majority of Brits think that the government should act on the first referendum and go through with Brexit (over 70% last time I checked) and the majority would vote for Brexit (over 50% last time I checked).

There's obviously some chance of losing, which is why up until now nobody keen on Brexit has advocated the idea at all, but nonetheless that is zero reason to say that Farage actively believes he would lose such a referendum and it flies in the face of over a decade of things he's said and worked for in public and everything he believes.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1574  Postby Teague » Jan 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Thommo wrote:
Teague wrote:Nobody wins a vote and then thinks it's a good idea to support another vote where they would most likely lose.

Why do you think he thinks he would lose? Opinion polls seem to suggest the vast majority of Brits think that the government should act on the first referendum and go through with Brexit (over 70% last time I checked) and the majority would vote for Brexit (over 50% last time I checked).

There's obviously some chance of losing, which is why up until now nobody keen on Brexit has advocated the idea at all, but nonetheless that is zero reason to say that Farage actively believes he would lose such a referendum and it flies in the face of over a decade of things he's said and worked for in public and everything he believes.

We that poll isn't asking the same question so it's not relevant. Of course we should go through with the vote because it's done now. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have a 2nd vote and that doesn't mean that because 70% think we should go through with something they wouldn't vote against that thing given the choice. I'm against Brexit but the vote is done and yes, we have to go through with it. Hopefull NI will save us.

Given that this is obviously a bad deal for the UK, I can see there being another vote and people like Farage pretending the votes "just to show them we really won" when in fact he wants to stay in the EU. There's no reason for him to add fire to a second vote. I don't know why a winner would do that "oh, I won the presidency but maybe we should do a recount"
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1575  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 11, 2018 5:39 pm

Not in my tables. Too close to call.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#1576  Postby Thommo » Jan 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Teague wrote:
Thommo wrote:

We that poll isn't asking the same question so it's not relevant. Of course we should go through with the vote because it's done now. That doesn't mean we shouldn't have a 2nd vote and that doesn't mean that because 70% think we should go through with something they wouldn't vote against that thing given the choice. I'm against Brexit but the vote is done and yes, we have to go through with it. Hopefull NI will save us.

Given that this is obviously a bad deal for the UK, I can see there being another vote and people like Farage pretending the votes "just to show them we really won" when in fact he wants to stay in the EU. There's no reason for him to add fire to a second vote. I don't know why a winner would do that "oh, I won the presidency but maybe we should do a recount"

So, you don't have a reason to suggest that Farage actually thinks he would lose then.

There are lots of potential hypotheticals that fit the facts better than suggesting he's suddenly reversed all of his public beliefs. Maybe he thinks he'll win and get another day in the sun? Maybe he thinks he can profit from all the fame and attention he gets? Maybe like the other times he quit and came back he just doesn't really know what to do with himself when he's not fighting for his precious anti-EU cause.
Thommo

Print view this post

#1577  Postby mrjonno » Jan 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Whatever deal the UK government gets versus beginning to stay in the EU seems pretty 'democratic' to me in a referendum not that I think anything of this importance should ever been given to the moronic public in the first place
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1578  Postby Teague » Jan 12, 2018 11:14 am

Thommo wrote:
Teague wrote:
Thommo wrote:

So, you don't have a reason to suggest that Farage actually thinks he would lose then.

There are lots of potential hypotheticals that fit the facts better than suggesting he's suddenly reversed all of his public beliefs. Maybe he thinks he'll win and get another day in the sun? Maybe he thinks he can profit from all the fame and attention he gets? Maybe like the other times he quit and came back he just doesn't really know what to do with himself when he's not fighting for his precious anti-EU cause.

I'm sticking with my guess....

There was a big spike in Brits giving up their citizenships as Britain voted for Brexit

Exclusive: The number of Brits wanting to hand in their passports hit a 13 year high in the year of the Brexit vote.
744 applied to renounce their citizenship in 2016.
Anti-hard Brexit campaigners say the spike should "send a shiver" down Theresa May's spine.
Home Office insists there is no link between the spike and Brexit.

LONDON — There was a surge in the number of people giving up their citizenship in the year of the Brexit vote, new figures obtained by Business Insider reveal.

A Freedom Of Information request by the Best for Britain campaign group shows that 741 people applied to hand over their British passports in 2016.

This was a 73% increase on 2015 and the highest number of renunciation requests since 2003, following the beginning of the Iraq war.

These figures follow data published by The Guardian this week which revealed that the number of Brits who have applied for French citizenship has increased tenfold over the last three years.

1,363 Brits applied for French citizenship in 2016. This was more than a 250% increase on the number of Brits who did so in 2015.

Tim Farron, former Lib Dem leader and champion of anti-hard Brexit group Best For Britain, said the new figures ought to "send a shiver down the spine" of Theresa May's government.

"People giving up our passport, be it maroon, black, or blue, is someone handing back part of themselves," Farron told Business Insider.

He added: "People want Britain to be open, tolerant and united and Brexit is ripping that all apart."

The Home Office said the spike should not be attributed to Britain's vote to leave the EU.

A spokesperson said: "Given the yearly variation, it is not possible to draw meaningful conclusions from the figures of those giving up their British Citizenship.

"There are a number of reasons why someone may seek to renounce British Citizenship, such as becoming a national of a country that does not allow dual citizenship."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-vo ... rts-2018-1
Last edited by Teague on Jan 12, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1579  Postby Teague » Jan 12, 2018 11:16 am

and....

Brexit: Voters would favour Remain in second referendum, finds poll

Poll comes after Brexit architect Nigel Farage signalled his support for a second referendum

A fresh vote on whether Britain should leave the European Union would overturn the result of the Brexit referendum, new polling has found.

The snap survey - conducted after Brexit architect Nigel Farage made an unexpected call for a second referendum - found 55 per cent would opt to remain in the EU and 45 per cent to leave if there was another vote. The original vote was 52 per cent to 48 per cent in favour of Brexit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 54946.html

this was last november 2016

Remaining is now backed by an extremely slim majority of 51 per cent, versus 49 per cent who wish to leave the EU.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 95811.html

55/45 is a trouncing now.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#1580  Postby Thommo » Jan 12, 2018 1:37 pm

So your primary evidence for Nigel Farage's views is 744 people giving up their passport.

Yeah.

As far as the polls (conducted after his comments, so he couldn't even have seen them) go, yeah, there's a chance the referendum would be lost (for the Brexiteers). That doesn't mean Farage believes he would lose, does it? As a point of reference, last time the polls looked like those two do, what was Nigel Farage's opinion on whether he could win?
Thommo

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs