Brexit

The talks and negotiations.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Brexit

#7121  Postby Sendraks » Apr 11, 2019 2:51 pm

mrjonno wrote:

Who would want this job in the current circumstances? , you would have to be utterly nuts

So pretty much any member of the ERG then.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#7122  Postby ronmcd » Apr 11, 2019 5:33 pm

Sendraks wrote:
mrjonno wrote:

Who would want this job in the current circumstances? , you would have to be utterly nuts

So pretty much any member of the ERG then.

Also, the candidates during the last leadership election all wanted it regardless of the likely horrors of trying to implement brexit.

To paraphrase Billy Connolly, the desire to be a politician a Tory PM should bar you for life from ever becoming one.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7123  Postby newolder » Apr 11, 2019 6:50 pm

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#7124  Postby minininja » Apr 11, 2019 7:51 pm

newolder wrote:Image

Government should send one of those through every letterbox in the UK and have done with it.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7125  Postby newolder » Apr 11, 2019 7:57 pm

^ Yep, and it would be cheaper than some recent alternative measures:
UK stands down 6,000 no-deal Brexit staff - after spending £1.5bn

Grauniad
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#7126  Postby GrahamH » Apr 12, 2019 11:16 am

newolder wrote:^ Yep, and it would be cheaper than some recent alternative measures:
UK stands down 6,000 no-deal Brexit staff - after spending £1.5bn

Grauniad

Thanks for posting that.

I wonder...

Is that a hint at a "no Brexit" destination with no need of those preparations?

Are the preparations for "no deal" complete?

Is it more kicking the can down the road so that as October nears the UK will once again be in a panic if the WA remains untennable?

Or maybe it's blind optimism that opinions will u-turn in the next few weeks now that the pressure is off.

:scratch:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#7127  Postby ronmcd » Apr 12, 2019 5:05 pm

GrahamH wrote:

Is it more kicking the can down the road so that as October nears the UK will once again be in a panic if the WA remains untennable?

Or maybe it's blind optimism that opinions will u-turn in the next few weeks now that the pressure is off.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7128  Postby Sendraks » Apr 12, 2019 7:52 pm

GrahamH wrote:

I wonder...

:scratch:

1 -Nope. Its just that the operational staff necessary for a no deal scenario are not needed at this moment in time.

2 - Not even close. We are nowhere near the legislation necessary for a no deal transition out to WTO terms. There's no schedule agreed and no legislation for a schedule.

3 - Preparations for No-deal are ongoing that don't require operational staff.

4 - We can but hope.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#7129  Postby Ironclad » Apr 12, 2019 8:58 pm

newolder wrote:Image
:rofl:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#7130  Postby Matt_B » Apr 12, 2019 10:28 pm

It's so typical Royal Mail that it's not even filled in properly too. :)
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#7131  Postby zerne » Apr 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Brexit has launched the Farage Party. In attendance was Rees-Mogg's sister. UKIP have called it a "vehicle" for Farage. And they should know.

I reckon someone should spread the rumour that it is a Soros funded front to split the Brexit vote and deny due democracy to the Great British public.

Is 6 months too short a time to hold a referendum? Could it be done? Asking for a friend.
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7132  Postby Thommo » Apr 12, 2019 11:09 pm

It seems unlikely that spreading anti-semitism is an appropriate response.
Thommo

Print view this post

#7133  Postby zerne » Apr 13, 2019 6:07 pm

Thommo wrote:It seems unlikely that spreading anti-semitism is an appropriate response.

Well if anti-semitism is your thing.. and Conservatiive, UKIP, BNP and Brexit Party aren't to your liking, you can always vote for the Labour Party. :grin:
zerne

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7134  Postby Tracer Tong » Apr 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Sendraks wrote:Why no?

I think referenda are a bad idea, at least for a country, like Britain, with no tradition of them.
Die Alten sind weder die Juden, noch die Christen, noch die Engländer der Poesie. Sie sind nicht ein willkürlich auserwähltes Kunstvolk Gottes; noch haben sie den alleinseligmachenden Schönheitsglauben; noch besitzen sie ein Dichtungsmonopol.
Tracer Tong

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#7135  Postby GrahamH » Apr 14, 2019 7:59 am

Bill Cash may be trying to be an anti-Gina Miller and use the courts push us over the Brexit cliff.
Theresa May's Article 50 extension is illegal, and will be challenged in the courts

It is a fundamental principle of UK constitutional law that the Government may not use its powers, including its powers to make international agreements, to frustrate the intention of Parliament. Parliament’s intention is to be found, and is only to be found, in the laws it makes. Resolutions of the House of Commons may sometimes be politically important, but they are of no legal effect unless an Act of Parliament expressly gives them legal effect.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... J2YDa14yr4
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#7136  Postby minininja » Apr 14, 2019 8:36 am

Well surely that's never going to get off the ground after the Cooper bill passing?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7137  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 14, 2019 8:50 am

Anything in the UK is possible; anything.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7138  Postby Alan B » Apr 14, 2019 12:29 pm

I presume that these 'taking it to court' twats prefer a no deal exit. Good. Then when they can get to court they can be cross-examined if the they are employing any tax avoiding procedures and why would staying in the EU affect their ill-gotten gains. :whistle:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7139  Postby GrahamH » Apr 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Alan B wrote:I presume that these 'taking it to court' twats prefer a no deal exit. Good. Then when they can get to court they can be cross-examined if the they are employing any tax avoiding procedures and why would staying in the EU affect their ill-gotten gains. :whistle:

Bill Cash is very keen on no deal.

Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#7140  Postby ronmcd » Apr 14, 2019 12:55 pm

These are the people who ranted hysterically from the back benches about Europe, with the front bench ignoring them and rolling their eyes, just ignore angry uncle Bill.

And now people actually know who they are, and listen to them, as if they're important. What a shitshow.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs