Call for Action to Prevent Gun Violence in the United States

Interdisciplinary Group on Preventing School and Community Violence

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Call for Action to Prevent Gun Violence in the United States

#341  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 23, 2022 3:19 pm

Well, well!

Like the Texas abortion law which the American Taliban (Supreme Court) let stand, California has enacted an identical law targeting guns.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... setting-up

Christofascist motherfuckers thought no one was paying attention. Sauce for the goose, rednecks! You think you’re cleverly ending abortion? Fine, we’ll use the same tricks to end your access to guns.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The New And Coming Plague

#342  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Jul 23, 2022 6:25 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Well, well!

Like the Texas abortion law which the American Taliban (Supreme Court) let stand, California has enacted an identical law targeting guns.

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... setting-up

Christofascist motherfuckers thought no one was paying attention. Sauce for the goose, rednecks! You think you’re cleverly ending abortion? Fine, we’ll use the same tricks to end your access to guns.

would not be surprised if those same judges are going to strike this law down on account of
„this is totally different because [insert bogus reason here]“
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#343  Postby al pesto » Aug 05, 2022 9:00 pm

"Call for Action to Prevent Gun Violence in the United States"

Hmm. I wonder if any of that so-called "action" will include mentioning the effects of rampant pharmaceutical drug consumption amongst the American population, and what role said consumption plays in promoting gun violence. Or gender dysphoria for that matter too.

For example, did you know that:

- There are more than 20,000 prescription drugs that are approved for marketing (FDA, 2020).
- About 66% of U.S. adults take prescription drugs (Health Policy Institute, 2021).
- About 46% of U.S. adults have taken a prescription drug in the past 30 days (CDC, 2019).
- The leading drug classes in the U.S. are antihypertensives, pain relievers, and mental health drugs (Statista, 2021).
- The most commonly abused types of prescription drugs in the U.S. are opioids, tranquilizers, benzodiazepines, and
prescription stimulants (Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2014).
- The U.S. consumed about 30% of the world’s supply of opioids in 2015 (Politifact, 2017).
- Almost 50,000 people died from opioid overdoses in 2019 (National Institute on Drug Abuse, 2019).
- 18% of children aged 0-11 years old reportedly used prescription drugs in the past 30 days
- 27% of adolescents aged 12-19 years old reportedly used prescription drugs in the past 30 days
- 47% of adults aged 20-59 years old reportedly used prescription drugs in the past 30 days
- 85% of adults aged 60 or older reportedly used prescription drugs in the past 30 days

Nah. Of course you didn't know that. Mainly because CNN doesn't talk about it. And we all know the saying: "If a tree falls in a forest and CNN is not around to report on it, does it make a sound ?"

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled societal collapse. There will be no further interruptions from inconvenient truths.
al pesto

United States (us)
Print view this post

#344  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 05, 2022 9:28 pm

Nah. Of course you didn't know that. Mainly because CNN doesn't talk about it.

To know that CNN doesn't talk about it, you'd need to watch CNN essentially all the time.

Mind-blown man, the truth that post-truthy alternative non-mainstream media special me pleaders don't want you to hear!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#345  Postby al pesto » Aug 05, 2022 10:01 pm

Spearthrower wrote:

To know that CNN doesn't talk about it, you'd need to watch CNN essentially all the time.

Mind-blown man, the truth that post-truthy alternative non-mainstream media special me pleaders don't want you to hear!

Right. Don't make any reference at all in your reply to the topic at hand, which is gun violence. And don't make any reference at all in your reply to my comment, which was, "I wonder if any of that so-called "action" will include mentioning the effects of rampant pharmaceutical drug consumption amongst the American population, and what role said consumption plays in promoting gun violence. Or gender dysphoria for that matter too." Then, just to make sure we're all not on the same page, don't make any mention at all in your reply regarding the stats I offered either.

Focus instead on the ending sarcastic analogy! That way the remaining 99% of your intellect doesn't need to spring into action.
:clap:
al pesto

United States (us)
Print view this post

#346  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 05, 2022 10:17 pm

al pesto wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Right. Don't make any reference at all in your reply to the topic at hand, which is gun violence. And don't make any reference at all in your reply to my comment, which was, "I wonder if any of that so-called "action" will include mentioning the effects of rampant pharmaceutical drug consumption amongst the American population, and what role said consumption plays in promoting gun violence. Or gender dysphoria for that matter too." Then, just to make sure we're all not on the same page, don't make any mention at all in your reply regarding the stats I offered either.

Focus instead on the ending sarcastic analogy! That way the remaining 99% of your intellect doesn't need to spring into action.
:clap:

Thanks for spending time narrating that I posted a message about your message. In return, I am now posting a message about your message about my message. I'm glad we've got this all covered - wouldn't want to miss anything.

Regardless: either a) you know that CNN does X because you watch enough CNN to know, or b) you don't watch CNN and thus can't know whether CNN talked about X or not.

Sorry if logic isn't being helpful to you, but hey, you can talk about my intellect more if you like? That's bound to distract someone, eh?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#347  Postby Greg the Grouper » Aug 06, 2022 9:29 pm

Today I learned that a bunch of drug statistics ranging from the number of drugs approved by the FDA to the percentage of a given population using a prescription medication are better explanations for disproportionate gun violence in comparison to other countries than poorly considered gun control and a culture fetishizing the ownership of guns. Amazing what you can learn from the internet.
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Greg the Grouper

Name: Patrick

United States (us)
Print view this post

#348  Postby The_Piper » Aug 09, 2022 3:56 pm

al pesto wrote:"Call for Action to Prevent Gun Violence in the United States"

Hmm. I wonder if any of that so-called "action" will include mentioning the effects of rampant pharmaceutical drug consumption amongst the American population, and what role said consumption plays in promoting gun violence. Or gender dysphoria for that matter too.

For example, did you know that:

- There are more than 20,000 prescription drugs that are approved for marketing (FDA, 2020).
- About 66% of U.S. adults take prescription drugs (Health Policy Institute, 2021).
- About 46% of U.S. adults have taken a prescription drug in the past 30 days (CDC, 2019).
- The leading drug classes in the U.S. are antihypertensives, pain relievers, and mental health drugs (Statista, 2021).
- The most commonly abused types of prescription drugs in the U.S. are opioids, tranquilizers, benzodiazepines, and
prescription stimulants (Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2014).
- The U.S. consumed about 30% of the world’s supply of opioids in 2015 (Politifact, 2017).
- Almost 50,000 people died from opioid overdoses in 2019 (National Institute on Drug Abuse, 2019).
- 18% of children aged 0-11 years old reportedly used prescription drugs in the past 30 days
- 27% of adolescents aged 12-19 years old reportedly used prescription drugs in the past 30 days
- 47% of adults aged 20-59 years old reportedly used prescription drugs in the past 30 days
- 85% of adults aged 60 or older reportedly used prescription drugs in the past 30 days

Nah. Of course you didn't know that. Mainly because CNN doesn't talk about it. And we all know the saying: "If a tree falls in a forest and CNN is not around to report on it, does it make a sound ?"

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled societal collapse. There will be no further interruptions from inconvenient truths.
Hmmm. Where in this post is a connection made from medicine to gun violence? Give some examples with some kind of data backing it up, if you want to have a serious conversation. If you want to bash CNN, that's fine, but it's not the topic of this thread.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#349  Postby Tortured_Genius » Aug 09, 2022 4:31 pm

The_Piper wrote:if you want to have a serious conversation.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but none of his posts would indicate he wants to have serious conversation. :smug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#350  Postby The_Piper » Aug 09, 2022 5:55 pm

:lol: :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#351  Postby james1v » Aug 13, 2022 12:45 am

Why would any citizen need an article of war in their home?
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#352  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 13, 2022 8:42 pm

james1v wrote:Why would any citizen need an article of war in their home?

I owned something very similar for a few years. It was a Ruger Mini-14, a gas operated, magazine fed, air cooled, semi-automatic, center fire rifle chambered in the popular 5.56 ammunition.

It had no sporting purpose. I’ve never fired at a non-human thing that required more than one shot. Even if it did, the recoil of any firearm will make you lose your sight picture, anyway. Semi-automatic loading adds nothing to that task. Aim better.

Unless the deer or prairie dogs start shooting back, that is.

It was very fun to shoot and hit targets with it, to be sure. But, the rifle has no practical purpose for its existence.

I haven’t looked at modern game hunting requirements. But, in the states in which I have had hunting licenses, the minimum caliber to take anything bigger than small game was 24 caliber. You can’t even legally hunt deer with a Mini 14. Or, at least couldn’t, at one time.

I never got one of these AR-15 knockoffs. I guess I never got my man card, apparently.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#353  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 13, 2022 11:19 pm

The_Metatron wrote:But, the rifle has no practical purpose for its existence.

Excuse the stereotyping, but doesn't it also serve the purpose that meals do in Asia.... something you take a picture of to share on FB?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#354  Postby The_Metatron » Aug 14, 2022 2:09 am

Spearthrower wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:But, the rifle has no practical purpose for its existence.

Excuse the stereotyping, but doesn't it also serve the purpose that meals do in Asia.... something you take a picture of to share on FB?

Wow. I know I’ve seen this, but the thought always amazes me.

If I ever really thought a threat existed that I needed lethal force to respond to it, I sure as hell wouldn’t advertise what I do or no not have to make that response.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#355  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 23, 2022 2:02 pm

Thoughts and prayers.

And fuck all action as per usual.

One comment after the Colorado killings that struck me was from Heather Cox Richardson (before today's atrocity); Gen Z are now habituated to mass shootings in the USA and think it's normal. With an average of 2 mass shootings per day in the USA (606 so far this year according to the BBC) in a sense I suppose it is. The reaction to that by law-makers isn't, at least compared to every other developed country in the world.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#356  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 23, 2022 4:40 pm

Practically an Act of God.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#357  Postby The_Piper » Nov 23, 2022 5:25 pm

Some right wing pundits and politicians continue to fan the flames against lbgtq even in response to this latest shooting in Colorado. I fucking hate them.
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 07, 2023 3:03 am

Newport News: Boy aged six detained after shooting teacher in US (BBC)

A six-year-old boy has been detained by police after shooting a teacher in the US state of Virginia, officers say.

The shooting happened shortly after 14:00 local time (19:00 GMT) at Richneck Elementary School in the city of Newport News, Chief Steve Drew said.

It is unclear how the child obtained the gun, but Mr Drew said the incident was not "an accidental shooting".

The teacher - who has not been named and is said to be in her 30s - was left with life-threatening injuries.

Clearly, had the teacher been armed, she could have capped him before he opened fire.
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#359  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 07, 2023 3:38 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:Newport News: Boy aged six detained after shooting teacher in US (BBC)

A six-year-old boy has been detained by police after shooting a teacher in the US state of Virginia, officers say.

The shooting happened shortly after 14:00 local time (19:00 GMT) at Richneck Elementary School in the city of Newport News, Chief Steve Drew said.

It is unclear how the child obtained the gun, but Mr Drew said the incident was not "an accidental shooting".

The teacher - who has not been named and is said to be in her 30s - was left with life-threatening injuries.

Clearly, had the teacher been armed, she could have capped him before he opened fire.

Or if all the 6 year olds had guns... they coulda gone full Wild West shoot-out. Yeehaw!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#360  Postby Alan C » Jan 07, 2023 6:35 am

Where was the 'good guy with a gun' then?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs