Child death probed after Italian parents rely on homeopathy

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Child death probed after Italian parents rely on homeopa

#21  Postby cherries » Oct 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Wiðercora wrote:Alright, exemplify him. But what I said still stands.

homeopathic medicine is sold in all the pharmacies in germany and put on par with herbal medicine,even my friend who is otherwise very smart gives it to her small daughter,surely the government shouldn't let that stuff be sold for what it doesn't do.
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Loren Michael » Oct 23, 2011 3:38 am

You mean "exempt"?

And anyways, why do you think he would be special? The "charlatans at the top" could very well be just as convinced as anyone. Maybe even more than most, as they have a stronger motivation to believe that it works.
Loren Michael

Name: Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Animavore » Oct 23, 2011 10:24 am

I'm starting up in my friend's kung-fu club tomorrow. I had to tell him in advance I'm going for the training and nothing else and to warn the homeopathist, the reflexologist and the chi master to stay the fuck away from me because I will go through them for a short-cut if they even think about approaching me. Now after reading this I'm going to have to reiterate it and make sure he knows I'm deadly serious because stuff like this makes me fume and I will jam this down that prick's throat if he even thinks about challenging me on this issue.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#24  Postby katja z » Oct 23, 2011 10:41 am

cherries wrote:
homeopathic medicine is sold in all the pharmacies in germany and put on par with herbal medicine,even my friend who is otherwise very smart gives it to her small daughter,surely the government shouldn't let that stuff be sold for what it doesn't do.

We've just achieved the same and are very proud to have followed the example of great European nations like Germany in this respect ... yay, we're not so backward any more, we're modern and civilised and have embraced homeopathy! :roll:

Where before homeopathic water could only be administered by professional quacks, real pharmacists, who should know better, are now busy "training" and getting licences so they can counsel customers on homeopathic self-treatment. :crazy:

On the other hand, I suppose as long as people are advised to see a real doctor for anything potentially serious, something a qualified pharmacist will probably still do even if they hold a licence for selling water, I suppose selling these "drugs" in pharmacies might actually be less harmful than having patients flock to homeopaths. :ask:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#25  Postby campermon » Oct 23, 2011 10:57 am

katja z wrote:
On the other hand, I suppose as long as people are advised to see a real doctor for anything potentially serious, something a qualified pharmacist will probably still do even if they hold a licence for selling water, I suppose selling these "drugs" in pharmacies might actually be less harmful than having patients flock to homeopaths. :ask:

The problem is that sellers of magic water don't refer people onto qualified doctors.
In the UK, 'sense about science' investigated homeopaths who were selling homeopathic anti-malarial potions;

http://www.senseaboutscience.org/pages/ ... pathy.html

They worked with the BBC newsnight team and went undercover to a number of magic water merchants and;

'They sent an undercover researcher in to say she was about to go in to a malaria infested country. They all recommended doses of homeopathic remedies - 99.99% water with an almost undetectable trace of effective remedies such as quinine. None of them directed the researcher to a GP or Travel Clinic. '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/n ... 178122.stm

Scary stuff.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Scar » Oct 23, 2011 10:59 am

cherries wrote:

The real problem is that virtually nobody in Germany has a clue what homeopathy actually is. People seem to think it Is just herbal medicine. I know plenty of people who laughed in disbelieve at me telling them about dilution an stuff.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 23, 2011 11:16 am

Here homeopathic and herbal treatments tend to be lumped together. The Dutch are sceptical about it especially after a couple court cases which involved the death of a very well known TV presenter who died of cancer. She was being treated by one of the top mumbo-jumbo artists here.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Loren Michael » Oct 23, 2011 11:42 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Here homeopathic and herbal treatments tend to be lumped together. The Dutch are sceptical about it especially after a couple court cases which involved the death of a very well known TV presenter who died of cancer. She was being treated by one of the top mumbo-jumbo artists here.

Hopefully we can extract some good from Steve Jobs' death in a similar manner.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Varangian » Oct 23, 2011 11:46 am

campermon wrote:They worked with the BBC newsnight team and went undercover to a number of magic water merchants and;

'They sent an undercover researcher in to say she was about to go in to a malaria infested country. They all recommended doses of homeopathic remedies - 99.99% water with an almost undetectable trace of effective remedies such as quinine. None of them directed the researcher to a GP or Travel Clinic.

Ah, yes, homeopathic malaria medicines... Very effective (in getting people killed, at least).

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#30  Postby katja z » Oct 23, 2011 12:58 pm

campermon wrote:
katja z wrote:

The problem is that sellers of magic water don't refer people onto qualified doctors.

But that was exactly my point! Homeopaths often won't refer their patients to real doctors, but if a person comes to a normal pharmacy to buy homeopathic stuff for self-treatment, the qualified pharmacist who's there to counsel them will tell them to see their GP. Hence selling homeopathetic water in pharmacies might be a tad less harmful, because people will still be told not to try and use it to cure cancer or whatever.

Of course, on the other other hand, selling this stuff in pharmacies might make people who would otherwise be dubious about it think that it must be effective. And if you forbid it, it's the evil government preventing people from making choices about their own health and seeking effective treatment in collusion with the Big Pharma. It's a complicated issue. :dizzy:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#31  Postby campermon » Oct 23, 2011 1:05 pm

katja z wrote:
campermon wrote:
katja z wrote:

But that was exactly my point! Homeopaths often won't refer their patients to real doctors, but if a person comes to a normal pharmacy to buy homeopathic stuff for self-treatment, the qualified pharmacist who's there to counsel them will tell them to see their GP. Hence selling homeopathetic water in pharmacies might be a tad less harmful, because people will still be told not to try and use it to cure cancer or whatever.

Of course, on the other other hand, selling this stuff in pharmacies might make people who would otherwise be dubious about it think that it must be effective. And if you forbid it, it's the evil government preventing people from making choices about their own health and seeking effective treatment in collusion with the Big Pharma. It's a complicated issue. :dizzy:

:lol: :thumbup:

I'd like to see homeopathic medicines banned from being sold in pharmacies full stop.

The fact that magic remedies are being sold in places like Boots in the UK gives it a respectability it does not deserve.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby james1v » Oct 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Idiots.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Shrunk » Oct 23, 2011 1:50 pm

Loren Michael wrote:Hopefully we can extract some good from Steve Jobs' death in a similar manner.

It doesn't seem that "alternative" treatments were a factor there:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... e_jobs.php
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Shrunk » Oct 23, 2011 2:00 pm

campermon wrote: I'd like to see homeopathic medicines banned from being sold in pharmacies full stop.

The fact that magic remedies are being sold in places like Boots in the UK gives it a respectability it does not deserve.

Or short of a full ban, they should at least be required to prominently display disclaimers that there is actually no evidence that they work. They should meet the same criteria as any other pharmacological treatment if they are being sold as such. If they are being sold as "nutritional supplements" in health food stores and such, that gets a bit murkier. People who are hell bent on risking their health by relying on woo are going to do so, and I guess they have the right (with their own bodies, that is, not their children's). But as has been said, many people who are buying this stuff are simply unaware they are spending good money on tap water, and would not do so if they were given the appropriate information.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Loren Michael » Oct 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Loren Michael wrote:Hopefully we can extract some good from Steve Jobs' death in a similar manner.

It doesn't seem that "alternative" treatments were a factor there:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011 ... e_jobs.php

Ah, fair enough. Good to know.
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

#36  Postby cherries » Oct 23, 2011 3:24 pm

katja z wrote:

doctors here are prescribing homeopathic medicine and apparently health insurances offer it too :thumbdown:
read this on some page:"today around 75%of german doctors will at least at some point or other prescribe homeopathic medicine".

this is a quote from a "zeit online" article:

The doctors keep up: in 2002 there were 4517 physicians who worked with an additional training in homeopathy, at the end of 2009 there were already 5834th .Even health insurance companies are now using the globules method and offer it as a service - not only because they are gaining new members, but also because it helps them to reduce expenses.

http://www.zeit.de/2010/50/Homoeopathie

cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#37  Postby katja z » Oct 23, 2011 3:32 pm

cherries wrote:
doctors here are prescribing homeopathic medicine and apparently health insurances offer it too :thumbdown:
read this on some page:"today around 75%of german doctors will at least at some point or other prescribe homeopathic medicine".

:shock: At least this can't happen here. A doctor can't prescribe homeopathic "drugs" - if they did, they would lose their licence to practice. You can either be a doctor or a homeopath, you have to choose. For now :pray:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Shrunk » Oct 23, 2011 3:36 pm

cherries wrote: doctors here are prescribing homeopathic medicine and apparently health insurances offer it too :thumbdown:

this is a quote from a "zeit online" article:

The doctors keep up: in 2002 there were 4517 physicians who worked with an additional training in homeopathy, at the end of 2009 there were already 5834th .Even health insurance companies are now using the globules method and offer it as a service - not only because they are gaining new members, but also because it helps them to reduce expenses.

http://www.zeit.de/2010/50/Homoeopathie

OTOH, the reverse seems to be happening in the UK:

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/8c29526a ... z1bcTLnJrV
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby cherries » Oct 23, 2011 3:56 pm

katja z wrote:
cherries wrote:

:shock: At least this can't happen here. A doctor can't prescribe homeopathic "drugs" - if they did, they would lose their licence to practice. You can either be a doctor or a homeopath, you have to choose. For now :pray:

:lol: ..it's pretty bad because if a doctor prescribes it what else is a patient to believe but that it's proper medicine?

the medical community seems to be divided on this issue in germany even though there have been studies done there which show that this stuff doesn't work.

cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Loren Michael » Oct 23, 2011 5:55 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRVCaA5o18[/youtube]

Should be required viewing for this topic.

EDIT: BTW in South Korea the >|< button in an elevator actually does work. it's the craziest thing!
Loren Michael

China (cn)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs