Claims that doctors were targeted by Israeli snipers

Was this the 'defense' that Israeli spokesmen were claiming.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby CarlPierce » May 18, 2018 10:11 am

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-tuesday-edition-1.4663685/canadian-shot-in-gaza-says-he-was-clearly-marked-as-a-doctor-1.4663689

Hard to understand why anyone would do this ?

Was it possibly 'friendly' fire to frame the Israelis or as seems mostly likely sadistic Israeli snipers trying to maim people.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Claims that doctors were targeted by Israeli snipers

#2  Postby felltoearth » May 18, 2018 12:43 pm

They were wearing Hi Vis gear and clearly identified as doctors. Hard to believe it was friendly fire.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby felltoearth » May 18, 2018 12:46 pm

This is how they are dressed. His friend on the right was shot in the chest and died. Hard to believe two doctors suffered friendly fire.

95F08073-85CB-4BD8-B363-33FF8FD39DFE.jpeg
95F08073-85CB-4BD8-B363-33FF8FD39DFE.jpeg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby aban57 » May 18, 2018 12:55 pm

felltoearth wrote:This is how they are dressed. His friend on the right was shot in the chest and died. Hard to believe two doctors suffered friendly fire.

95F08073-85CB-4BD8-B363-33FF8FD39DFE.jpeg

It's not 2, it's 17, according to the article. Doctors and paramedics alike. What a fucking shame.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CarlPierce » May 18, 2018 6:08 pm

By friendly fire i meant the arabs trying to frame the israelis. Extremely unlikely i think.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby WayOfTheDodo » May 19, 2018 10:22 pm

What about all the thick, black, poisonous smoke from all the tires being burned? Wouldn't they block the view?

Anyway, like always one really has no idea what really happened. Considering Pallywood's history of fooling people, I remain skeptical about this story.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » May 19, 2018 11:35 pm

Yes because the White House's latest occupant would most certainly ensure that Israeli Military wasn't doing something they shouldn't be.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby felltoearth » May 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Double post
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby aban57 » May 20, 2018 8:19 am

felltoearth wrote:Yes because the White House's latest occupant would most certainly ensure that Israeli Military wasn't doing something they shouldn't be.

You mean, while he does every day something he shouldn't do ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby WayOfTheDodo » May 20, 2018 9:09 am

felltoearth wrote:Yes because the White House's latest occupant would most certainly ensure that Israeli Military wasn't doing something they shouldn't be.

What does the White House have to do with anything?
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#11  Postby felltoearth » May 20, 2018 5:21 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Ugh Really? What started this mess?
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2018 5:38 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Anyway, like always one really has no idea what really happened. Considering Pallywood's history of fooling people, I remain skeptical about this story.

Sure and not at all because of your fanatical support of Israel, right?
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on May 20, 2018 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby felltoearth » May 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:[quote="WayOfTheDodo";p="2632370"

Sure and not at all because of your fanatical support of Israel, right?[/quote]
I had to force myself not to Picard his post.
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 20, 2018 6:41 pm

Messed up the quote tags there...

*Edit. Fixed.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby CarlPierce » May 21, 2018 11:46 am

WayOfTheDodo wrote:What about all the thick, black, poisonous smoke from all the tires being burned? Wouldn't they block the view?

If your skeptical about this in the face of massive evidence of Israeli killings time and time again then you can't criticise anti-semites who are 'skeptical' of the holocaust. The question remains why do the Israelis time and time again choose the path of death rather than peace. Building settlements / embassies on occupied land does nothing to further the path of peace.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Arjan Dirkse » May 21, 2018 1:38 pm

It is difficult to judge the IDF's actions in the fog of war. Can we be certain these guys were actually shot by Israel and not by Hamas to embarrass Israel? I think the IDF actually has a pretty good record in avoiding civilian casualties compared to other military powers (Russia or the US) and I'm not going to say Israel can't try to stop rocket attacks or people damaging a border fence.

Yeah sure some atrocities happen, some soldiers are assholes but I don't think it is structural. I believe it is better to concentrate on Israel's political and judicial landscape rather than military tactics. It's the apartheid state which keeps the conflict going int efirst place.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#17  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 21, 2018 4:14 pm

Arjan Dirkse wrote:I think the IDF actually has a pretty good record in avoiding civilian casualties compared to other military powers (Russia or the US) and I'm not going to say Israel can't try to stop rocket attacks or people damaging a border fence.

Seriously? Their policy could be pretty much summed up thusly: "We knew civilians were in the area. However they were "human shields" so we went ahead and launched the assualt anyway. We cannot be held to blame for these dreadful occurances. We told people to leave the area before we dropped the White Phospherous on their position. This is not out fault. It is nothing to do with our policy of seizing land that caused the civilians to stay in their homes in defiance."

Yeah sure some atrocities happen, some soldiers are assholes but I don't think it is structural.

The IDF has an aweful record of holding acountable and punishing these people.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#18  Postby Arjan Dirkse » May 21, 2018 7:40 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
Arjan Dirkse wrote:Yeah sure some atrocities happen, some soldiers are assholes but I don't think it is structural.

The IDF has an aweful record of holding acountable and punishing these people.

That I agree with. If there are war crimes or other humanitarian offenses, they should be punished.

As for the rest, I just don't really know. Compared to other conflicts in the region, casualty numbers in the Israel-Palestine conflict are low. 15,000 dead since 1948 compared to 500,000 in Syria in seven years time. There is no such thing as a clean war though, as long as there is no political soution shit will happen. That's why I think the political situation is what is most important.
Arjan Dirkse

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#19  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Jun 10, 2018 7:59 pm

felltoearth wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:

Ugh Really? What started this mess?

Some anniversary where Hamas swore they would kill all the Jews and take back Israel.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#20  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Jun 10, 2018 8:12 pm

CarlPierce wrote:
WayOfTheDodo wrote:What about all the thick, black, poisonous smoke from all the tires being burned? Wouldn't they block the view?

If your skeptical about this in the face of massive evidence of Israeli killings time and time again then you can't criticise anti-semites who are 'skeptical' of the holocaust. The question remains why do the Israelis time and time again choose the path of death rather than peace. Building settlements / embassies on occupied land does nothing to further the path of peace.

I know Israel killed people. The question is: Who were they? Were they all innocent civilians, as some claim, or were most of them Hamas members as Hamas claims? Just because someone dies, that doesn't mean that they were innocent or in the right.

The question is not whether anyone was killed or not. No one is disputing that people were killed. The question is whether the killings were justifiable or not. And whether all the claims about the deaths are true or not.

And let's look at the claim that doctors were targeted by Israeli snipers. Is it known for a fact that doctors did indeed die? And if they did, did they die from sniper fire? And if they did, do we know it was deliberate, or do we know that the doctors were not in fact doing something which forced the Israelis to open fire? (Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean he can do no wrong. If a doctor is trying to breach the border fence, thereby exposing innocent civilians on the Israeli side to lethal danger, the Israelis are allowed to shoot. I am not saying that this happened, but I am using it as an example of justifiable killing.)

Yes, I am extremely skeptical of outrageous claims about Israeli abuse. I have seen too many Pallywood fabrications to believe everything those liars are saying.

Some people here obviously believe everything out of Pallywood, while I believe none of it. When they accuse Israel of something outrageous like consciously targeting doctors, I ask for proper evidence and not just Pallywood claims.
WayOfTheDodo

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs