CoE , prime minister, lash out after ‘Easter’ ...

...dropped from national egg hunt

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

CoE , prime minister, lash out after ‘Easter’ ...

#1  Postby DoctorE » Apr 04, 2017 2:09 pm

:grin:

A move in Britain to rebrand a national Easter egg hunt as simply an “egg hunt” to appeal to non-Christian children has drawn condemnation from the Church of England and Prime Minister Theresa May.

“This marketing campaign … highlights the folly in airbrushing faith from Easter,” said a statement from the Church of England sent to The Washington Post. A church spokeswoman told The Post that senior church leaders vehemently opposed the change.
2017 ad for the Cadbury egg hunt at National Trust properties in England.

Some 300,000 children are expected to attend this year’s hunt, held at 250 sites owned by the National Trust, a charity that promotes conservation. It partners with Cadbury, the maker of the chocolate eggs for the hunt.

Continues: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -egg-hunt/
Last edited by DoctorE on Apr 04, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: CoE , prime minister, lash out after ‘Easter’ ...

#2  Postby newolder » Apr 04, 2017 2:12 pm

Perhaps one of our Christian members can explain what an egg-hunt has to do with their ridiculous religion?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby chairman bill » Apr 04, 2017 2:19 pm

Jesus was hatched on the 25th December, from a rabbit egg, then nailed up & re-interred in another rabbit egg on Easter Monday. FFS, I thought everyone knew that.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby crank » Apr 04, 2017 2:23 pm

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5  Postby newolder » Apr 04, 2017 2:27 pm

chairman bill wrote:Jesus was hatched on the 25th December, from a rabbit egg, then nailed up & re-interred in another rabbit egg on Easter Monday. FFS, I thought everyone knew that.

That's just a scrambled interpretation. Boil me another and I'll soldier-on regardless.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Blackadder » Apr 04, 2017 2:44 pm

And the Pagans are thinking "About bloody time too. Fucking Christian cultural appropriationists"
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 04, 2017 2:56 pm

Blackadder wrote:And the Pagans are thinking "About bloody time too. Fucking Christian cultural appropriationists"

Quite right - they should be having an Ostara-egg hunt.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby nunnington » Apr 04, 2017 5:11 pm

I wonder if Sentamu (and May) had realized that Cadbury was a Quaker, and Quakers don't do Easter? I suppose these are mere details, when you are whining that Christianity is oppressed.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#9  Postby ronmcd » Apr 04, 2017 6:54 pm

The truth is perhaps even more amusing... no, even more worrying actually.

Why did Theresa May scramble to comment on the National Trust Easter Egg row?

Theresa May has been accused of acting out of “revenge” after she condemned the National Trust and Cadbury for dropping the word “Easter” from this year’s Easter Egg Hunt.

May described the move as “absolutely ridiculous”, and an affront to a “very important festival” for Christians worldwide. But neither Cadbury nor the National Trust have dropped the word “Easter” from the Easter Egg Hunt.

Cadbury’s website promoting the occasion features the word Easter 14 times and their press release announcing this year’s quest for chocolate features the E-word seven times. They even have a website promoting it with the word “Easter” in the address. As for the National Trust, their announcement of the hunt features the word Easter a further seven times.

May’s rushed statement is in contrast to her usual methodical approach, which is to marshal the facts and then deliver a statement. May took more than 24 hours to comment on Donald Trump’s Muslim ban, and denied journalists a response three times at her press conference. But she commented in a little over an hour on the Cadbury affair.

Civil servants and former special advisers believe that May’s swift response is due to her longstanding antipathy to Helen Ghosh, the National Trust's director-general, with whom she clashed when Ghosh was permanent secretary at the Home Office and May was Home Secretary. (Ghosh left the Home Office in 2012 to take up her current role running the National Trust.)

Civil servants also believe that another Helen, Helen Bower-Easton - who was Downing Street’s official spokesperson under David Cameron and May - was ostracised by May's team due to her perceived closeness to Cameron. (Bower-Easton has since left to head up communications at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.)

One well-placed source complained that Cameron-era permanent officials had “the mark of Cain” on them in the eyes of the new administration. Another former special adviser said that May was “obsessed with revenge”. A senior figure described the new Downing Street set-up as “thin-skinned”. “The fact is she hates Helen, which is why this has happened,” another Whitehall insider claims.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10  Postby monkeyboy » Apr 04, 2017 8:17 pm

seems like someone might be left with.......well...egg on their face when they realise just how much they mangled the facts here.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Ironclad » Apr 05, 2017 12:57 am

Like.. ouch
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Weaver » Apr 05, 2017 1:54 am

DoctorE wrote::grin:

A move in Britain to rebrand a national Easter egg hunt as simply an “egg hunt” to appeal to non-Christian children has drawn condemnation from the Church of England and Prime Minister Theresa May.

“This marketing campaign … highlights the folly in airbrushing faith from Easter,” said a statement from the Church of England sent to The Washington Post. A church spokeswoman told The Post that senior church leaders vehemently opposed the change.
2017 ad for the Cadbury egg hunt at National Trust properties in England.

Some 300,000 children are expected to attend this year’s hunt, held at 250 sites owned by the National Trust, a charity that promotes conservation. It partners with Cadbury, the maker of the chocolate eggs for the hunt.

Continues: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... -egg-hunt/

HOW DARE THEY REMOVE THE PAGAN SYMBOLISM FROM THE HOLIDAY!!! THE X-TIANS STOLE THAT FAIR AND SQUARE!!!!!
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby crank » Apr 05, 2017 2:02 am

monkeyboy wrote:seems like someone might be left with.......well...egg on their face when they realise just how much they mangled the facts here.

I've always preferred my eggs mangled instead of scrambled. They have better texture than more smoothly scrambled eggs.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#14  Postby The_Piper » Apr 05, 2017 4:39 am

Eggotistical leaders, always scrambling from the press, instead of hitching to it's yoke. The hard-boiled truth is that they can't be trusted. They'll readily serve us a pile of horseshit, sunny side up. I'm allergic to the fuckers.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby don't get me started » Apr 05, 2017 5:49 am

The_Piper wrote:Eggotistical leaders, always scrambling from the press, instead of hitching to it's yoke. The hard-boiled truth is that they can't be trusted. They'll readily serve us a pile of horseshit, sunny side up. I'm allergic to the fuckers.

I suppose you think that's punny.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Agrippina » Apr 05, 2017 7:33 am

It's clever. :thumbup:

I was yammering on about this yesterday. Two earthquakes in southern Africa on Monday, and all sorts of other dramatic events, and Sky News was twisting their knickers about the word Easter. People need to get over their idiocy and just try to get on with everyone else, even if their pants are hanging down over their butts, and they have pink hair, and tattoos everywhere, and piercings in places some people haven't thought of piercing, or speak with an odd accent, or worship a deity no one's hear of. We're all going to die eventually, get over it.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#17  Postby mrjonno » Apr 05, 2017 10:23 am

What is really sad is unlike in the US hardly anyone goes to churches in the UK, more people are openly gay than worship reguarly

This isn't about religion its about old people wanting to go back to the 1950's when they had their own hips and got laid
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Blackadder » Apr 05, 2017 10:37 am

From today's Times newspaper (original article behind a paywall so not linked).

Esther McConnell, a communications officer for Quakers in Britain, disputed Dr Sentamu’s comment, however, posting online: “I’m sure John Cadbury is not spinning in his grave. As a Quaker, he didn’t celebrate Easter, John Sentamu.”

Ms McConnell told The Times: “Quakers recognise the equality and value of all people. As such I am glad to see that Cadbury’s and the National Trust are welcoming those of ‘all faiths and none’ to their event regardless of whether they call it Easter or not.”

That's the Quaker equivalent of a proper face-slap. :lol:
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Agrippina » Apr 05, 2017 11:54 am

mrjonno wrote:What is really sad is unlike in the US hardly anyone goes to churches in the UK, more people are openly gay than worship reguarly

This isn't about religion its about old people wanting to go back to the 1950's when they had their own hips and got laid

:thumbup: :lol: Love it.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Says it all really ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs