Coup in Zimbabwe

Maybe

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Coup in Zimbabwe

#21  Postby zulumoose » Nov 19, 2017 12:18 pm

BBC now reporting both Bob and Grace kicked formally out of Zanu-PF, though he is still technically president until parliament act out an impeachment or equivalent, which will probably be Tuesday.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Agrippina » Nov 19, 2017 1:33 pm

He has until tomorrow to hand in his resignation. It's going to be interesting to see what happens next.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#23  Postby aban57 » Nov 19, 2017 6:52 pm

What is interesting is how swiftly and blood-free this went so far.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#24  Postby laklak » Nov 19, 2017 8:34 pm

He's just refused to step down in a televised speech, and insists he will preside over the Zanu-PF party congress in December.

Looks like things are about to get interesting.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Agrippina » Nov 20, 2017 5:47 am

Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to get a little ugly. The stock market took a dive this morning. Not that there were any remarkable stocks to trade there before this morning, but things are a little up in the air.

I suspect the man doesn't actually understand what's going on. He is 93 ffs, look at Prince Philip, he's been moved out of public engagements possibly because he also doesn't know what the hell's happening. I feel a little sad for him. They should just move him into a care home and tell him he's on holiday, and take away the tvs, or run old newsreels or something, in his room.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#26  Postby monkeyboy » Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Agrippina wrote:They should just move him into a care home and tell him he's on holiday, and take away the tvs, or run old newsreels or something, in his room.

Pink Floyd have already designed a home for for people like him, The Fletcher Memorial Home, the lyrics couldn't be more apt despite it being penned many dark moons ago.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#27  Postby zulumoose » Nov 21, 2017 5:45 am

Today is D day for Mugabe, impeachment imminent.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#28  Postby laklak » Nov 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Gone, gone, gone! Hard to believe, truly, I never figured the old asshole would resign. They're rockin' and rollin' in the streets, it's a toi toi party of note.

God I hope it isn't just a palace coup and then more of the same old shit, those poor bastards in ZIm deserve better.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Fallible » Nov 21, 2017 5:34 pm

They absolutely do. So glad that cock womble is gone, but I'm worried he will be replaced by more of the same.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby The_Piper » Nov 21, 2017 5:50 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
Agrippina wrote:They should just move him into a care home and tell him he's on holiday, and take away the tvs, or run old newsreels or something, in his room.

Pink Floyd have already designed a home for for people like him, The Fletcher Memorial Home, the lyrics couldn't be more apt despite it being penned many dark moons ago.

"They could appear to themselves every day, on closed circuit tv." :mrgreen:
A wonderful song.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby zulumoose » Nov 22, 2017 5:54 am

The new man who will be at the helm seems to have all the wrong qualifications, and I heard on the radio this morning that it may be September next year before elections are held.

From https://www.news24.com/Africa/Zimbabwe/figure-known-as-crocodile-set-to-replace-zimbabwes-mugabe-20171121

He's been Mugabe's bag man for decades," said Zimbabwean author and commentator Peter Godwin. "I have low expectations about what he will achieve as president. I hope I will be proved wrong."

Godwin, who has followed Mnangagwa for years, said he has little of Mugabe's charisma or talent for public speaking.

Todd Moss, Africa expert for the Center for Global Development, also expressed reservations.

"Despite his claims to be a business-friendly reformer, Zimbabweans know Mnangagwa is the architect of the Matabeleland massacres and that he abetted Mugabe's looting of the country," Moss said. "Mnangagwa is part of its sad past, not its future."
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Adco » Nov 22, 2017 10:59 am

Watching it all unfold last night was really emotional. We had a lump in our throats and tears of joy in our eyes. Hope it works out for Zims. Perhaps a fishing trip to the mighty Zambezi River would be good. Like the old days.
god must love stupid people - he made so many of them
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#33  Postby laklak » Nov 22, 2017 11:29 am

Sounds like a plan to me, adco. Stop in Mbabane on the way and we'll have a few brews.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Agrippina » Nov 22, 2017 11:56 am

I would so love to do a trip there. Almost did in 1970 but then my life changed and the trip was cancelled. Never got the chance again, but yes, I would really like to do that.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#35  Postby laklak » Nov 22, 2017 12:06 pm

Me too. I've been to Harare a few times on business but never stayed more than a night at a time. I'd love to rent a houseboat on Kariba.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Agrippina » Nov 22, 2017 12:16 pm

laklak wrote:Me too. I've been to Harare a few times on business but never stayed more than a night at a time. I'd love to rent a houseboat on Kariba.

Wow that would be fun. Himself would be seasick, otherwise I'd say we'll join you. He got seasick on a paddle boat on Lake St Lucia. Poor man.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#37  Postby CarlPierce » Nov 22, 2017 12:22 pm

The zanu-pf snake is just shedding its skin. Still a snake.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby laklak » Nov 22, 2017 12:42 pm

Agrippina wrote:
Wow that would be fun. Himself would be seasick, otherwise I'd say we'll join you. He got seasick on a paddle boat on Lake St Lucia. Poor man.

Shame! We rented a small boat in St. Lucia, just at the mouth of the estuary. Was cruising along and Mrs. Lak said "look out for those rocks ahead". I slowed down, and as we got closer realized it wasn't rocks at all, it was hippos. I never turned a small boat around so fast in my life. Last thing I want to do is run aground on a pod of hippos.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Adco » Nov 22, 2017 2:11 pm

The hippos on the Zambezi are treacherous. We ran out of fuel just upstream of a pod and started drifting towards them. A frantic change of fuel tanks and some prayers got us out safely. I don't want to go through that again. I KNOW that I would have run across the water if they had attacked us. We got as close as 3m from them!
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Adco » Nov 22, 2017 2:20 pm

Twice I've been on a 2 week fishing trip on the Zambezi. Just a group of guys drinking beer from sunrise to sunset. Our ladies were never invited. It was too rough for them. No amenities. Pee over the side of a small boat, fart, burp and swear and have an absolute gas. We're too old for that now and some of the guys have left the country. None of us have boats either. Those were the days....

The wildlife those days was so plentiful. As we drifted downstream fishing for Tiger fish there were all sorts of wild animals popping up along the river bank. It can never be the same again.
Adco

Male

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs