Coup in Zimbabwe

Maybe

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Coup in Zimbabwe

#1  Postby kiore » Nov 15, 2017 4:07 am

Have been watching the situation for a while, reports today of military movements and now a declaration :
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41992351

this was not "a military takeover of government" and President Robert Mugabe was safe.
Heavy gunfire and artillery were heard in northern suburbs of the capital, Harare, early on Wednesday.

So a coup by marriage certificate or by the more traditional method of the military taking over the TV station..
People in country or connected I have spoken to today say either they haven't heard about it (censorship) or that RM is somehow weakened and a real military intervention to 'protect' him underway.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Coup in Zimbabwe

#2  Postby kiore » Nov 15, 2017 5:07 am

Guardian reporting live:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... ugabe-live

Well this kind of looks like a coup, at least a move by the military to prevent Grace Mugabe's faction from controlling things.
Difficult to know which coup worse for Zimbabweans, Grace or the Generals.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thommo » Nov 15, 2017 6:28 am

Difficult to know what to make of that at this stage.
Thommo

Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 15, 2017 10:00 am

Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby mrjonno » Nov 15, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm sure Zimbabwe we become a economically successfully under a liberal democratic government, just like the UK :(
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Agrippina » Nov 15, 2017 2:59 pm

It's a bit worrying to have that just north of us. I hope people here don't get the same idea.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby CarlPierce » Nov 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Why on earth don't they want 'Grace' to continue the highly successful mugabe dynasty? I think (dis)Grace attacked her flunkies with a plug.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Agrippina » Nov 16, 2017 9:12 am

CarlPierce wrote:Why on earth don't they want 'Grace' to continue the highly successful mugabe dynasty? I think (dis)Grace attacked her flunkies with a plug.

She was being protective of her son's virtue or something. :grin: Attacked the girls visiting his hotel room with an extension cord.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/she-hit-me-for-what-seemed-like-forever-20170819-2

African parents have an interesting child-rearing style:
https://thoughtcatalog.com/kovie-biakolo/2013/05/26-things-that-happen-when-you-grow-up-in-an-african-house/
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#9  Postby zulumoose » Nov 16, 2017 9:41 am

Well at least they are calling this a bloodless coup so far. Makes a change from the machete slash and burn expectations.

I guess if Mugabe had retained the army support and it had ended up in a civil revolt it would have been a very different story.

That could still come if the army tries to install another dictatorship. The problem with army or revolutionary led changes in government is that they value loyalty above all else, and that seems to inevitably lead to an entrenched power base that feels free to abuse their position. Zuma and Mugabe are both end products of that, despite the democratic hand-waving.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Of course the army wants another dictatorship. Democracy would be too unstable.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » Nov 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Mad Bob is toast.

:cheers: :beercheers:

Couldn't happen to a nicer sociopathic despot.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby mrjonno » Nov 16, 2017 12:48 pm

laklak wrote:Mad Bob is toast.

:cheers: :beercheers:

Couldn't happen to a nicer sociopathic despot.

More likely he will die of old age in complete luxury, its the rest of Uganda that seems to be toast when they actually have bread and electricity
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby laklak » Nov 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, the miserable fuck is 93 already.

I predict a Zimbabwean Renaissance. Maybe we'll move there instead of Swaziland, get a boat on Kariba Lake.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Agrippina » Nov 16, 2017 3:18 pm

OMG that place is so beautiful. If they settle it, and it does have a renaissance, I imagine my family will move there too.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Mike_L » Nov 16, 2017 4:36 pm

laklak wrote:Shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, the miserable fuck is 93 already.

I predict a Zimbabwean Renaissance. Maybe we'll move there instead of Swaziland, get a boat on Kariba Lake.

Sadly, it's more likely to be a succession of turds. Mnangagwa, a longtime Mugabe lieutenant, has supported the outgoing turd in all of his ruinous undertakings. (Who is Emmerson "The Crocodile" Mnangagwa?)
Could be wrong, of course... but on the surface of things, it looks like there'll be little change in the existing "infrastructure" of authoritarianism and kleptocracy.
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Agrippina » Nov 18, 2017 1:06 pm

The celebrations in Zimbabwe have spilled over into our cities. The embassy in Cape Town, and in Pretoria. Flags flying and people feeling good about the Mugabe era about to end. I hope our president is watching.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Macdoc » Nov 18, 2017 1:41 pm

hehe ...indeed.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby laklak » Nov 18, 2017 6:56 pm

Nothing happening in Swaziland, but then again nothing much happens in Swaziland on a regular basis.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Agrippina » Nov 19, 2017 4:58 am

We're all waiting to see what happens when Mugabe's Sunday runs out. It would be something if he stepped down peacefully. I don't think I'd mind if this started a bit of a movement to tell JZ to take down his Gupta tent and follow Mugabe's example.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Mike_L » Nov 19, 2017 8:43 am

News24 has got quite a good article, describing in some detail how it all unfolded. It was planned in advance for December, but then expedited after the Mnangagwa dismissal. Both China and the US knew in advance about the planned coup.
It wasn't altogether "bloodless"...
Despite the calls for no violence and bloodshed, there were several deaths and other serious injuries during the ZDF’s crackdown on politicians they believe orchestrated Mnangagwa’s axing.

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, soldiers shot dead a security guard when they stormed finance minister Ignatius Chombo’s house. On Thursday, an intelligence officer known as Munedzi died of his injuries at a military barracks in Harare, after soldiers severely beat him.

Zanu-PF youth wing leader Kudzanayi Chipanga was beaten. Central Intelligence Organisation (CIO) director of security and head of Mugabe’s security, Albert Ngulube, was hospitalised on Wednesday after soldiers assaulted him.

Three sources close to Zanu-PF confirmed the deaths. One said: “People are romanticising the coup and saying it was not bloody. It was damn bloody. People are being beaten badly. Obviously, this was well planned, which is why no one knows about the deaths and beatings.”

Full text at:
https://www.news24.com/Africa/Zimbabwe/zim-coup-one-way-or-another-mugabe-must-go-20171119-2

And a wake-up for the prancing, preening pricks...

Mugabe boys’ party days are over
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs