Cuba sound weapons. WTF?

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Cuba sound weapons. WTF?

#1  Postby electricwhiteboy » Sep 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Something fucky is going on here. UHF sound doesn't work in the way it's being described, it doesn't penetrate which is why you only hear the bass from your neighbours shitty dubstep coming through the wall. Anyone who has had an ultrasound scan knows it has to be in contact with the skin. Sound weapons tend to be psychological, something like infrasound to scare the shit out of you. I get the feeling this is totally bollocks and a pretence for pulling out diplomatic staff.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Cuba sound weapons. WTF?

#4  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Something like this?

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#5  Postby electricwhiteboy » Sep 29, 2017 11:32 pm

:lol:
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Sep 30, 2017 11:37 pm

It doesn't say it was ultrasonics, not that that makes much of a difference. It's far far more likely to be the pretence you suggested. We have a long and very strange history when it comes to fucking with the Cubans.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Macdoc » Oct 01, 2017 3:05 am

Even Canadian staff have been reported problems but could be some sort mass hysteria.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby electricwhiteboy » Oct 02, 2017 3:58 pm

crank wrote:It doesn't say it was ultrasonics, not that that makes much of a difference. It's far far more likely to be the pretence you suggested. We have a long and very strange history when it comes to fucking with the Cubans.

Most of the articles I've seen about it claim a sound weapon above human hearing, then there's a lot of holes that a layman's understanding of the physics of sound would pick up on, and a bit of goal post moving and hand waving. I had more or less put it down to "Meh, it's Cuba and the U.S". Given the history I wouldn't be surprised if The Company hazed diplomatic staff themselves by playing something uncomfortable but not particularly harmful intermittently over the building's P.A. Then just let events play out and spun up the story.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#9  Postby chango369 » Oct 03, 2017 8:43 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote: I get the feeling this is totally bollocks and a pretence for pulling out diplomatic staff.

The Trump administration expelled 15 Cuban diplomats from the embassy in Washington in an escalating response to mysterious illnesses afflicting American embassy personnel in Havana.

The expulsions were intended to force the Cubans to operate their embassy in Washington under the same emergency conditions that the United States is now operating under in Havana. The Trump administration decided last week to pare its staff in Havana down to a skeletal group of just 27 people who can carry out emergency services.

A State Department official said that the Cuban government would need to give a clear assurance that the attacks would not continue before the personnel in either embassy could return.

U.S. Expels 15 Cuban Diplomats From Embassy in Washington
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Cuba (cu)
Print view this post

#10  Postby NamelessFaceless » Oct 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I've noticed all the articles I've read about this all say possibly by some kind of sonic weapon. Is it possible that whatever the people are hearing is actually a side-effect of something else, and not the cause? Something else that causes ringing in the ears, maybe, that just seems like an ear-piercing sound? The link you posted says the sound is localized to their room and I just can't believe that people in adjoining rooms wouldn't hear it if it's as loud and ear-piercing as what is being described.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby proudfootz » Oct 05, 2017 8:49 pm

It just doesn't seem very well motivated. Certainly some intelligence 'services' are very willing to use any means to torture others, though.

It seems like something a bit too 'high tech' for Cuba with limited resources.

Meanwhile, some are skeptical of the claims:

Houghton suspects the Russians are behind this latest incident.

He thinks the most likely scenario is that this was a beta test of new Russian technology that went bad. He says the Cubans have no incentive to cause American diplomats permanent damage. "They were probably like, 'Let’s just make the [Americans] throw up,' and then, "Oh wow, whoops!" It went way too far."

There are other theories floating around, too — that it wasn’t a sonic weapon at all, but maybe a virus, poison or radiation.

“I mean, we have no proof of any of this,” says Houghton. “But it’s fun to speculate.”

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-10-03/ ... say-no-way

Could be part of the latest 'hate Russia' fad in pop culture.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs