Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#61  Postby devogue » Oct 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:Wow - looks like an immense number 2 hit the rotating blades there..........

Isn't fraud a criminal offence rather than a civil one? If he has embezzled the money surely Mr Timonen will be facing a criminal court at some point? :scratch:

As for the gloating theists - compared to peado priests and the shenanigans pastors seem to regularly get up to this is insignificant in comparison.


And it isn't Dawkins who is under investigation.
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
User avatar
devogue
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 2176
Age: 45
Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#62  Postby Tortured_Genius » Oct 23, 2010 6:35 pm

j.mills wrote:RD's middle name is Clinton? :rofl:

No but really. In my bitterest told-you-sos, I didn't expect this. It's sad that they're not up to reporting this over on RDF. When the forum went down there was no hint on the front pages of all the fuss it was causing in the media (blogosphere anyway) until RD's not-pology appeared. You can't keep stuff quiet these days, so it's more dignified to come clean; albeit the legal action might limit the details that could be revealed.



To be fair, it would be very, very unwise for RD or his staff to talk about anything to do with any pending court action. IANAL, but I do at least know that the lawyers will want to be the sole arbiters of what information is released and how.

RD will have been advised in the strongest possible terms not to talk about this in public.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
User avatar
Tortured_Genius
 
Posts: 1694
Age: 58
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#63  Postby Thommo » Oct 23, 2010 6:36 pm

Sad if he's guilty, stealing from a charity is fucking low.

I opened the thread expecting this to be a joke. :shifty:
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26669

Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#64  Postby j.mills » Oct 23, 2010 6:37 pm

In a way, you were right.
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
User avatar
j.mills
 
Posts: 10269
Age: 54
Male

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#65  Postby ingwe » Oct 23, 2010 6:39 pm

:rofl: :coffee:
Men . . . have had the vanity to pretend that the whole
creation was made for them, whilst in reality the whole
creation does not suspect their existence.
—CAMILLE FLAMMARION
User avatar
ingwe
 
Posts: 719
Male

Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#66  Postby EquivoKate » Oct 23, 2010 6:41 pm

:lol: :popcorn: (((((( US))))))) :smug:
You would wish to live life to the full, to the edge etc if you were in my shoes.
User avatar
EquivoKate
 
Name: Kate
Posts: 1084
Age: 58
Female

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#67  Postby Juliuseizure » Oct 23, 2010 6:42 pm

Globe wrote:
This made my day. Image

I disagree - this is very bad news for the reputation of modern atheism.

Embezzling funds from a charity is the gutter. Its not paedophilia or 9/11 but still. Poor young Timonen got swept up in the quest for astronomical wealth, encouraged by our current politicians, it would appear. "Good, healthy greed" as Gordon Brown might say.

There is neither facepalm nor popcorn of sufficient magnitude for this topic.
Juliuseizure
 
Posts: 865
Age: 38
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#68  Postby z8000783 » Oct 23, 2010 6:44 pm

j.mills wrote:RD's middle name is Clinton? :rofl:

No, it's his Christian (sic) name.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783
 
Name: WTF
Posts: 9325
Age: 66
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#69  Postby jerome » Oct 23, 2010 6:44 pm

GreyICE wrote:Theists will gloat?



This one will. :drunk: :smile: :lol: Not because I'm glad a major atheist sites and Foundation was injured by a wanker this way - but because I am stil angry about the debace that ended RD.net forums For those who missed what happened to the old RD.net forums check out Peter Harrison's blog (link anyone?) or if you trust my opinion mine -
http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2010/02/2 ... -to-close/
http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2010/02/2 ... f-history/
http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2010/02/2 ... the-forum/
http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2010/02/2 ... h-timonen/
http://jerome23.wordpress.com/2010/02/2 ... icism-org/

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
User avatar
jerome
 
Name: CJ
Posts: 2047
Age: 50
Male

Country: UK
Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#70  Postby j.mills » Oct 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Juliuseizure wrote:Poor young Timonen got swept up in the quest for astronomical wealth

"Poor young Timonen"? I wish I was that 'poor'!
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
User avatar
j.mills
 
Posts: 10269
Age: 54
Male

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#71  Postby z8000783 » Oct 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Juliuseizure wrote:
Globe wrote:
This made my day. Image

I disagree - this is very bad news for the reputation of modern atheism.

What reputation? Atheism is a lack of belief in God. What's that got to do with being a criminal?

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783
 
Name: WTF
Posts: 9325
Age: 66
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#72  Postby Globe » Oct 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Juliuseizure wrote:
Globe wrote:
This made my day. Image

I disagree - this is very bad news for the reputation of modern atheism.

Embezzling funds from a charity is the gutter. Its not paedophilia or 9/11 but still. Poor young Timonen got swept up in the quest for astronomical wealth, encouraged by our current politicians, it would appear. "Good, healthy greed" as Gordon Brown might say.

There is neither facepalm nor popcorn of sufficient magnitude for this topic.

No it isn't.
It's a very bad day for Timonen.
No one will be able to point a finger at all atheists and say we are a bad lot, because the only thing that unifies us is.... atheism.
Other than that we come in all shapes and sizes, all political colours, all nationalities.
We are NOT a uniform entity.

What Timonen did, he did as a person. Not an atheist.
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

I don't accept sexism, no matter what gender is being targeted with an -ism.
User avatar
Globe
 
Posts: 6659
Age: 52
Female

Country: Spain NOT Denmark
Spain (es)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#73  Postby jerome » Oct 23, 2010 6:48 pm

Juliuseizure wrote:
I disagree - this is very bad news for the reputation of modern atheism.



No it's not. Atheism does not depend on Dawkins, or any other individual. Churches have this kind of shit happen just as much, and I suspect most Christians will sigh and say it's human nautre, and feel sorry for Professor Dawkins that he was appaently the victim of a scam. It in no way detracts from the intellectual case for atheism, or the fact most atheists would never dream of acting like this, just as most non-atheist would't Assuming the case is sound, a guy acted like a shit. Nowt to do with atheism, and sod anyone who says it is! :cheers: But I'm glad our loathing for certain people may have been justified.

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
User avatar
jerome
 
Name: CJ
Posts: 2047
Age: 50
Male

Country: UK
Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#74  Postby quill » Oct 23, 2010 6:50 pm

Thommo wrote:Sad if he's guilty, stealing from a charity is fucking low.

I opened the thread expecting this to be a joke. :shifty:


It's hardly much of a charity in the first place if Dawkins was already freely giving him $280k in foundation money just to sell some shitty buttons and t-shirts. What a joke.
"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it’s just the opposite." ~John Kenneth Galbraith
User avatar
quill
 
Posts: 2803

Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#75  Postby Thommo » Oct 23, 2010 6:50 pm

Globe wrote:No one will be able to point a finger at all atheists and say we are a bad lot, because the only thing that unifies us is.... atheism.


Not really. You are spot on that nobody can do this and have a legitimate point, that doesn't however mean that they won't and it doesn't mean it won't potentially have negative consequences. Though in reality I suspect that those consequences will be nothing more than half a dozen smug newspaper articles and some idiotic accusations on a few creationist websites.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26669

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#76  Postby devogue » Oct 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Juliuseizure wrote:
Globe wrote:
This made my day. Image

I disagree - this is very bad news for the reputation of modern atheism.

Embezzling funds from a charity is the gutter. Its not paedophilia or 9/11 but still. Poor young Timonen got swept up in the quest for astronomical wealth, encouraged by our current politicians, it would appear. "Good, healthy greed" as Gordon Brown might say.

There is neither facepalm nor popcorn of sufficient magnitude for this topic.


Fuck them both.

Neither of them gave a shit about any of us - they dumped a passionate, vibrant community like a hot potato when it had outlived its usefulness to them or - crucially - might prove to be an embarrassment. Ha! One of them is a rampant egotist who cares about nobody but himself and the other is an alleged fraudster and a completely ignorant prick.

What charity work has the RDFRS done anyway, apart from put a few DVDs in schools and create a few banners?
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
User avatar
devogue
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 2176
Age: 45
Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#77  Postby John P. M. » Oct 23, 2010 6:52 pm

I don't know... I don't see myself as part of a group as an atheist. I used to as a Christian, and was a little bewildered when I got out and found that I was now totally 'alone' in the sense of not belonging to a group with the same beliefs, but instead an individual among individuals, with one thing in common. I feel the same way still, although not bewildered. At worst, this shows that an atheist can do selfish things.
Will it be used by theists? Most likely, but they'll often manufacture what they can't find in facts anyway, so they'll always have something, true or not. "Richard Dawkins stumped" -videos, anyone?
User avatar
John P. M.
RS Donator
 
Posts: 2913
Male

Country: Norway
Norway (no)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#78  Postby Thommo » Oct 23, 2010 6:53 pm

quill wrote:
Thommo wrote:Sad if he's guilty, stealing from a charity is fucking low.

I opened the thread expecting this to be a joke. :shifty:


It's hardly much of a charity in the first place if Dawkins was already freely giving him $280k in foundation money just to sell some shitty buttons and t-shirts. What a joke.


He was paying him a salary for maintaining the website, making videos and running various activities on behalf of the foundation. Over 4-ish years a salary of $70k is certainly generous (especially given his apparent ineptitude in several areas), but I don't see how that makes it "not much of a charity". I have no doubt that medicines sans frontieres, the red cross, oxfam etc. all pay millions of US$ in salaries a year.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 26669

Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#79  Postby z8000783 » Oct 23, 2010 6:53 pm

Thommo wrote:
Globe wrote:No one will be able to point a finger at all atheists and say we are a bad lot, because the only thing that unifies us is.... atheism.


Not really. You are spot on that nobody can do this and have a legitimate point, that doesn't however mean that they won't and it doesn't mean it won't potentially have negative consequences

Unless of course, his atheism drove him to it. Just look what it did to Stalin and Hitler.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783
 
Name: WTF
Posts: 9325
Age: 66
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Re: Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

#80  Postby Wiðercora » Oct 23, 2010 6:54 pm

How can charities afford to fork out that much money?
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell


Infrequently updated photo blog.
User avatar
Wiðercora
 
Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Posts: 7079
Age: 30
Male

Country: The Grim North.
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest