Doctor asks Europe to rule on gay adoptions

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Doctor asks Europe to rule on gay adoptions

#1  Postby DoctorE » Nov 15, 2010 9:27 am

Dr Sheila Matthews wants to European Court to rule on whether professional medical advice regarding the best interests of children should take precedence over homosexual rights.

Dr Matthews claims she was forced out of her job on the Northamptonshire Council Adoption Panel because of her Christian beliefs that children should be placed with a father and mother rather than a homosexual couple.

She resigned from her post in March after being barred from sitting on the adoption panel.
Today she will ask an employment tribunal in Leicester to refer her case to the European Court of Justice in order to establish whether medical opinion should override that of equality legislation.

Her case is being backed by the Christian Legal Centre which said it was a vital issue which could significantly affect the careers of many Christian medical staff working in the adoption process.

Continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/81323 ... tions.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Doctor asks Europe to rule on gay adoptions

#2  Postby Mazille » Nov 15, 2010 9:30 am

Dr Sheila Matthews wants to European Court to rule on whether professional medical advice regarding the best interests of children should take precedence over homosexual rights.

Dr Matthews claims she was forced out of her job on the Northamptonshire Council Adoption Panel because of her Christian beliefs that children should be placed with a father and mother rather than a homosexual couple.

That's not professional medical advice then, is it? :coffee: At best it's your personal opinion influenced by your religious belief and at worst it's you being a bigoted cunt, Dr. asshat.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Christian bigot Dr Sheila Matthews

#3  Postby Simon_Gardner » Nov 16, 2010 11:55 am

Image (Since 27 Nov 1987)
Dates - YYYY/MM/DD; measure metric scientific.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts - attrib Patrick Moynihan
Simon_Gardner

Name: Twitter @Simon_Gardner

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Christian bigot Dr Sheila Matthews

#4  Postby mrjonno » Nov 16, 2010 12:03 pm

Andrea Minichiello Williams, Barrister and CEO of the Christian Legal Centre, said: “It cannot be right that a doctor of such standing is forced from her role on an adoption panel, just because of her professional and Christian views.

Thats the point professional and christian views are not compatible and do not belong in the same sentence. Its interesting she isnt bringing this directly as religious discrimination but her case is a mess due to her trying to combine interests.

The whole problem is 'freedom of religion' just isnt compatible with a modern liberal democracy, freedom of thought works well but the freedom to practice a religion in any way you want is absurd. I believe the EU constitution does define this limitation (unlike the US one which has to have judges ruling the same way)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Christian bigot Dr Sheila Matthews

#5  Postby trubble76 » Nov 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Today she will ask an employment tribunal in Leicester to refer her case to the European Court of Justice in order to establish whether medical opinion should override that of equality legislation.

So if a doctor's medical opinion dictates that christians shouldn't be able to adopt, that too should be accepted in her view?
Why do I suspect that this only cuts one way? How christian of her.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Paul G » Nov 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Mazille wrote:

That's not professional medical advice then, is it? :coffee: At best it's your personal opinion influenced by your religious belief and at worst it's you being a bigoted cunt, Dr. asshat.

I hate it when they try and dress it up as science. Adnmit it, you just don't like gays.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby ukantic » Nov 16, 2010 12:29 pm

It's hard to see how she can win this one. Dr Sheila Matthews wasn't forced out of her job because of her objective professional opinion as it is dishonestly being portrayed in this article. She was forced out for unprofessionally attempting to impose her subjective, irrelevant and totally absurd superstitions onto other people. When are these wingnuts ever going to learn to leave other people alone.
ukantic

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby hotshoe » Nov 20, 2010 9:56 pm

I don't understand how the Christian Legal Center thinks European Court has any basis to act in this case.

Matthews' case might have implications for UK employment, but European Court ? C'mon. Stop being such a sore loser. She appealed to the employment tribunal, she got her ass kicked to the curb by them, she was ordered to pay the defenders legal costs (that is, the CLC has to pay the costs of the County which fired her and which was defending against her suit of discrimination).

The dingbat had a hissy fit and resigned from her medical position with the County, even though the county made clear that she could continue to get paid her previous salary just for performing the health examinations of the prospective adoptive parents. I wouldn't have let her continue to do that, because I wouldn't have trusted her to stay honest about the health results of gay parents -- she would have too much bias and too much incentive to falsify records against gays -- but they had agreed to continue her employment in that aspect. What more does she want ?

She wants a European Court ruling that she can sit in adoption-committee meetings and spew her venom about gay parents being bad for the children ? Fuck off home, bat. You lose.
Now, when I talked to God I knew he'd understand
He said, "Stick by my side and I'll be your guiding hand
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"
hotshoe

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby dalv8409 » Nov 20, 2010 10:01 pm

Christian Legal Centre is a rich fundie group in the UK (not sure if they have enugh to buy their way into the EU changing the rules on gay adoption) but this woman is just a sore fundie loser who wants nothing more then gay people having no legal rights at all. Why doesn't she just fuck off to a country that is controlled by Christian fundies where LGBT people have no rights what so ever? One less Christian fundie in the UK then.
Last edited by dalv8409 on Nov 21, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Paul G » Nov 20, 2010 10:54 pm

dalv8409 wrote:Christian Legal Centre is a rich fundie group in the UK (not sure if they have enugh to buy their way into the EU chnaging the rules on gay adoption) but this woman is just a sore fundie loser who wants nothing more then gay people having no legal rights at all. Why doesn't she just fuck off to a country that is controlled by Christian fundies where LGBT people have no rights what so ever? One less Christian fundie in the UK then.

Uganda looks nice, I'll happily pay for her ticket.
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs