Donald Trump for President!

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Donald Trump for President!

#2341  Postby Oldskeptic » Jul 22, 2016 10:19 pm

jamest wrote:I haven't followed the news sufficiently plus this is a long thread, so forgive me for asking whether he has put forward any concrete proposals for 'dealing' with Muslims?

The only thing that could make your question less offensive to the ~4 million Muslims in the US and the ~1.5 billion around the world and more idiotic is if you worded it "dealing' with the Muslims?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#2342  Postby proudfootz » Jul 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:

Something that struck me about Trump's acceptance speech last night was that besides striking Mussolini poses after his sound bites/rants, he didn't really deviate from Bernie Sanders' stump speech and smears of Hillary by Sanders' supporters.

Trump's call for a raise in the minimum wage, college tuition for all, and universal healthcare got huge applause! :drunk:
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2343  Postby quas » Jul 23, 2016 2:17 am

Boyle wrote:
So, when we hand over control to our assuredly benevolent technocratic overlords, do we get to vote on who that overlord is or is it done through chess games?

Rock paper scissors between Elon Musk and Bill Gates is a good option too. Definitely better than voting Hillary or Trump.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#2344  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 23, 2016 8:40 pm

In case it's actually needed; no I don't condone or support the killing of Trump
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2346  Postby Boyle » Jul 23, 2016 10:17 pm

quas wrote:
Boyle wrote:
So, when we hand over control to our assuredly benevolent technocratic overlords, do we get to vote on who that overlord is or is it done through chess games?

Rock paper scissors between Elon Musk and Bill Gates is a good option too. Definitely better than voting Hillary or Trump.

To be honest, Musk might do well. He's well versed in running a successful company that actually hemorrhages money so the US government would fit like a glove.
Boyle

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2347  Postby Animavore » Jul 24, 2016 8:05 am

I was watching a film the other day called The Brothers Grimsby which featured a scene with Trump accidentally getting AIDS (don't ask). What I didn't realise is that Sony, fearful of Trump's reaction, pulled marketing on the movie in America.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/don ... 405677a912

They should've done the opposite. It would've been the best publicity.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#2348  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 25, 2016 9:01 am

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2349  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 25, 2016 9:09 am

Scary.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2350  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 25, 2016 9:36 am

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2351  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 25, 2016 10:37 am

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2352  Postby Teague » Jul 25, 2016 2:01 pm

willhud9 wrote:
Teague wrote:
willhud9 wrote:
Teague wrote:

The sentence before that wasn't though, was it?

Yes it was. I don't think any of the candidates this year are particularly revolutionary. Even dear Sanders was not particularly revolutionary. He simply called for extensions on federal programs. Nice ideology, but not very practical in this political climate. Now if Sanders was young, charismatic, not a white male he may have stood a better chance against Clinton this time around.

Then you're obviously blind - money out of politics would literally be, revolutionary but only people interested in democracy would have voted for the only candidate making it his number one goal.

Yeah there is a difference between being blind and hopefully optimistic.

Campaigns cost money. Plain and simple. Whether it be a limited amount of tax payer money given to each candidate or whether it be individual donations campaigns raise campaigns are funded. Now you and other countries may feel that you should apportion tax payer dollars to help fund campaigns and you guys have every right to that, just as other countries have the right to use tax apportioned money to pay for churches and clergy, but me personally, I don't want my tax dollars being used to fund campaigns when I can think of a million better things to spend that money on.

So you'd rather the bribing goes on and democracy has no value - ok Will and corporations pay enough tax right and the DoD doesn't need auditing and paying 10 times more for prescription drugs is ok too as well as medical care for things like cancer.

So why are you bothering to vote then since democracy is lost on you.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2353  Postby Teague » Jul 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:
The US is so fucked right now that it's worth a try.

Well yeah, the US is oh so fucked and a terrible place to live, or at least that's what those on the far left and the far right keep telling everyone. Interesting that as of January 2016 Gallup has 85% of the US population generally satisfied with their lives. If you want to add somewhat dissatisfied and no opinion to satisfied that leaves only 6% very dissatisfied. Not quite enough to imply that the US is so fucked anything is worth a try. Or that what is needed is a social or political revolution.

And before someone pops off with some black vs white satisfaction dichotomy there is this from Gallup.

Eighty-eight percent of blacks satisfied with their lives, 87% of whites satisfied with their lives.

Do we really need a revolution in order to try to make 6% of the population less than very dissatisfied with their lives? Being something of a student of human nature I don't think there is anything that would make all of them or even some of them happier.

Hell, out of the people I know, those doing the most and loudest grumbling about their lives are those with the most.

Teague wrote:You have the least 2 favoured politicians in history and one is going to become president so fuck it, why not. I really can't think of anything worse that could happen no matter what people try.

Who fucking cares? How much a person is liked or disliked personally has little or nothing to do with whether someone can get elected or do the job. We're not electing a prom queen; more like the most likely to succeed. Seven of the last ten elections were won by the least liked candidate. And through it all 'mericans have been fairly happy with their lives; bouncing up and down from 77% to 87%.

It's fucked up for democracy and I'm not sure I beleive your graphs and I cba to check them so I won't comment.
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2354  Postby crank » Jul 25, 2016 2:16 pm

willhud9 wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/politics/peter-thiel-gay-republican-national-convention/

I mean there are gay Republicans.

And as I said before I identify as a Republican. I reject the party's platform, but I still actively write my state's party conventions and the national convention about why, my voice as a registered Republican also deserves to be heard and represented in my party.

I think this explains a lot. The ability for someone in the LGBT community to rationalize remaining in the GOP is a greater achievement than if they were christian. For any halfway decent person to stay in this GOP is an amazing act of rationalization. And an embrace of delusion and hate, because these are at the core of what it means to be republican now.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#2355  Postby crank » Jul 25, 2016 2:20 pm

jamest wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
jamest wrote:I haven't followed the news sufficiently plus this is a long thread, so forgive me for asking whether he has put forward any concrete proposals for 'dealing' with Muslims?

Built a wall in the Atlantic.

Are muslims good swimmers?

They mosque be, so many are obsessed with seeing an american crawl.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#2356  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 25, 2016 2:26 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#2357  Postby crank » Jul 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Oldskeptic wrote:
Teague wrote:
The US is so fucked right now that it's worth a try.

Well yeah, the US is oh so fucked and a terrible place to live, or at least that's what those on the far left and the far right keep telling everyone. Interesting that as of January 2016 Gallup has 85% of the US population generally satisfied with their lives. If you want to add somewhat dissatisfied and no opinion to satisfied that leaves only 6% very dissatisfied. Not quite enough to imply that the US is so fucked anything is worth a try. Or that what is needed is a social or political revolution.

And before someone pops off with some black vs white satisfaction dichotomy there is this from Gallup.

Eighty-eight percent of blacks satisfied with their lives, 87% of whites satisfied with their lives.

Do we really need a revolution in order to try to make 6% of the population less than very dissatisfied with their lives? Being something of a student of human nature I don't think there is anything that would make all of them or even some of them happier.

Hell, out of the people I know, those doing the most and loudest grumbling about their lives are those with the most.

Teague wrote:You have the least 2 favoured politicians in history and one is going to become president so fuck it, why not. I really can't think of anything worse that could happen no matter what people try.

Who fucking cares? How much a person is liked or disliked personally has little or nothing to do with whether someone can get elected or do the job. We're not electing a prom queen; more like the most likely to succeed. Seven of the last ten elections were won by the least liked candidate. And through it all 'mericans have been fairly happy with their lives; bouncing up and down from 77% to 87%.

Yeah, right, none of that psychology about how humans adjust their 'happiness' level matters. We see how this can lead to serious problems, when what is 'normal' can shift dramatically. Pessimists should be highly valued for their inability to see the 'bright side' of every occasion. for really serious issues, seeing reality is far more important to society at large even if it makes their lives less pleasant.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#2358  Postby chango369 » Jul 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Trump has nudged ahead of Clinton in the current RCP average. As I recall, Clinton was at around +2.7. I do realize that it's still early, but for Trump to be ahead at ALL is troubling.

rcpavg1.png
rcpavg1.png (71.46 KiB) Viewed 1232 times

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#2359  Postby Macdoc » Jul 25, 2016 7:09 pm

I wonder about the Electoral College situation tho.

I'd expect a bump after a convention and Ms Clinton has some baggage on the plate just now.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#2360  Postby laklak » Jul 25, 2016 7:09 pm

I think it's the WikiLeaks, and she'll get a post-convention bump. Whether that holds or not is anybody's guess. I've given up trying to forecast anything about this election, it's like living in an alternate universe. Trump? Clinton? Jesus we're fucked proper. I have GOT to get the fucking boat finished before November, might need to head South of the border quickly.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs