Donald Trump for President!

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Donald Trump for President!

#3081  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 24, 2016 7:47 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Coastal wrote:I get that, but it is not what the quote says. That quote standing on its own sounds like good policy, doesn't it?

No it doesn't, because it neither defines these so called cultural values are nor what 'sharing' them exactly entails.

If anything, it would be easy to argue that the people supporting such policies are, themselves, demonstrating that they don't share their nations' cultural values, particularly the ones pertaining to respect for cultural diversity.

Indeed. :nod:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3082  Postby Macdoc » Sep 25, 2016 5:23 am

keep in mind

http://frontloading.blogspot.com.au/p/2016.html

Trump has a near impossible route to the presidency.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3083  Postby OlivierK » Sep 25, 2016 8:37 am

Flip OH, NC and FL (all of which Trump is currently polling ahead in) and Clinton's lead becomes 273-265, which is squeaky bum territory. Granted, where those last 5 electoral votes come from is still tricky to see, but if, for example CO flipped (Trump's leading there in around half of recent polls), then that's all it would take.

Sure, Clinton is currently in better shape poll-wise than Trump. But Trump's path "near impossible"? Sadly not true.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3084  Postby Bernoulli » Sep 25, 2016 9:04 am

Coastal wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:This got shared by both Hack and Metatron on FB today:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-road-ahead_us_57e03be4e4b08cb1409749f2?

The Road Ahead
I have always been deeply proud to be an American. In the time I have left, I pray that will never change.

They say there is nothing new under the sun. Since I was born, our planet has traveled around it one hundred times. With each orbit, I’ve watched our country and our world evolve in ways that would have been unimaginable to my parents – and continue to amaze me with each passing year.

The longer I’ve lived, the less I’ve been surprised by the inevitability of change, and how I’ve rejoiced that so many of the changes I’ve seen have been good.
Yet, I’ve also lived through the horrors of a Great Depression and two World Wars, the second of which was started by a man who promised that he would restore his country it to its former greatness.
A few weeks ago we heard words spoken in Arizona that my wife, Anne, who grew up in Germany, said chilled her to the bone. They could also have been spoken in 1933:

“We also have to be honest about the fact that not everyone who seeks to join our country will be able to successfully assimilate. It is our right as a sovereign nation to choose immigrants that we think are the likeliest to thrive and flourish here…[including] new screening tests for all applicants that include an ideological certification to make sure that those we are admitting to our country share our values…”

These are not the American values that we fought in World War II to protect.
I have lived a long, good life. I will not be here to see the consequences if this evil takes root in our country. But your children and mine will be. And their children. And their children’s children.

This applies just as much to our local racist 'nationalist' who, while not as insane as Trump, is equally zealous in his desire to ban all people from the Netherlands that don't fit his view of Dutch culture.
He currently polls at 25-30 seats in our 150 seat parliament.

On the face of it, it makes sense, no? I mean, just that statement on its own. Why would you want people in your country that despise your very values and what makes you who you are? Some people hate the freedoms in societies like the Netherlands, why would you want them in your country?

Huh? Immigrants aren't going to migrate to places that they despise. That makes no sense.
Bernoulli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#3085  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 25, 2016 9:49 am

Bernoulli wrote:
Coastal wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:This got shared by both Hack and Metatron on FB today:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-road-ahead_us_57e03be4e4b08cb1409749f2?

The Road Ahead
I have always been deeply proud to be an American. In the time I have left, I pray that will never change.

They say there is nothing new under the sun. Since I was born, our planet has traveled around it one hundred times. With each orbit, I’ve watched our country and our world evolve in ways that would have been unimaginable to my parents – and continue to amaze me with each passing year.

The longer I’ve lived, the less I’ve been surprised by the inevitability of change, and how I’ve rejoiced that so many of the changes I’ve seen have been good.
Yet, I’ve also lived through the horrors of a Great Depression and two World Wars, the second of which was started by a man who promised that he would restore his country it to its former greatness.
A few weeks ago we heard words spoken in Arizona that my wife, Anne, who grew up in Germany, said chilled her to the bone. They could also have been spoken in 1933:

“We also have to be honest about the fact that not everyone who seeks to join our country will be able to successfully assimilate. It is our right as a sovereign nation to choose immigrants that we think are the likeliest to thrive and flourish here…[including] new screening tests for all applicants that include an ideological certification to make sure that those we are admitting to our country share our values…”

These are not the American values that we fought in World War II to protect.
I have lived a long, good life. I will not be here to see the consequences if this evil takes root in our country. But your children and mine will be. And their children. And their children’s children.

This applies just as much to our local racist 'nationalist' who, while not as insane as Trump, is equally zealous in his desire to ban all people from the Netherlands that don't fit his view of Dutch culture.
He currently polls at 25-30 seats in our 150 seat parliament.

On the face of it, it makes sense, no? I mean, just that statement on its own. Why would you want people in your country that despise your very values and what makes you who you are? Some people hate the freedoms in societies like the Netherlands, why would you want them in your country?

Huh? Immigrants aren't going to migrate to places that they despise. That makes no sense.

Good point, however refugees might, out of necessity.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3086  Postby Bernoulli » Sep 25, 2016 10:12 am

Yeah, but they aren't actually immigrants by the usual use of the word. They are refugees/asylum-seekers. I guess it depends on how Trump was using the word in his quote.
Bernoulli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#3087  Postby DoctorE » Oct 08, 2016 9:59 am

Ok maybe he is finished now eh
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#3088  Postby Bernoulli » Oct 08, 2016 10:00 am

Who could say? His followers probably respect that sort of treatment of women.
Bernoulli
Banned Sockpuppet

Print view this post

#3089  Postby tolman » Oct 08, 2016 10:48 am

His remaining followers, at least.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#3090  Postby Scarlett » Oct 08, 2016 11:03 am

If this was the straw that broke anyone's camel's back they seriously need to have a word with themselves....
Scarlett

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3091  Postby Animavore » Oct 08, 2016 11:05 am

He's crashing and burning even harder than I predicted.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3092  Postby Animavore » Oct 08, 2016 11:26 am

All Hillary needs to do now at the next debate, when Donnie goes to shake her hand, is throw up her hands and shake her head like; don't touch me. Then make an example out of him.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3093  Postby thaesofereode » Oct 08, 2016 3:06 pm

At the risk of paraphrasing the obvious: They knew damn well he was a snake...

The slither-fest is all-hands-on-deck to defend the indefensible.
thaesofereode

Print view this post

#3094  Postby Tangerine Dream » Oct 08, 2016 4:52 pm

If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#3095  Postby DoctorE » Oct 08, 2016 5:38 pm

DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#3096  Postby Fallible » Oct 08, 2016 5:40 pm

Tangerine Dream wrote:

:clap:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3097  Postby ElDiablo » Oct 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Scarlett wrote:If this was the straw that broke anyone's camel's back they seriously need to have a word with themselves....

Agree. That he's lecherous shouldn't surprise anyone.
I do find it hilarious how he kept bringing up Bill Clinton's womanizing past to try discredit Hillary with women voters and then the cans of worms get opened up on him with disastrous results. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3098  Postby Macdoc » Oct 08, 2016 9:40 pm

and this is before the videos broke

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3099  Postby NuclMan » Oct 09, 2016 3:14 am

Tangerine Dream wrote:

Man, I was so hoping he was going launch into his Jimmy Conway persona and drop motherfuckers and cocksuckers into every other sentence.
:lol:
NuclMan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3100  Postby The_Piper » Oct 09, 2016 3:54 am

What's the fucking matter with you Donnie? What are you, stupid or what? Are you a sick fucking maniac?
Today! Too-day!
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs