Doomed.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Doomed.

#21  Postby Fallible » Jan 24, 2020 10:08 pm

aufbahrung wrote:There is hope. The clock is arbitary and might not indicate anything real. The situation appears bleak but that is human perception. We are about to colonise Mars. The technologies that are developed to survive that hell, might also allow us to survive the hell Earth is likely to become. So don't give up. I have not despite knowing things about the worlds likely future that'd make you shiver in your graves. So keep going. The doomsday clock is a human construct, nothing but fearful apes building their own dooms in their imaginations. Things could be worse, likewise they could be better. Don't lose hope.

What do you think you know that other people don’t know?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Caper » Jan 25, 2020 1:54 am

felltoearth wrote:
TopCat wrote:
Blackadder wrote:I think it was George Carlin who said (I paraphrase) that people who keep talking about "saving the planet" are idiots. "The planet" he said, "will be just fine. It was here for a long time before the human race and it'll carry on when we are gone. So don't worry about the planet. Worry about the human race, because we are fucked."

It so annoys me when I hear this. They aren't idiots at all.

When people say "save the planet", they mean "save the planet for us humans, so that we can continue to enjoy its beauty in the way we did before it became obvious that we were shitting in our own beds, destroying everything else we value first, and then finally ourselves".

Not many are so dumb that on some level they don't realise that even if we destroy ourselves and leave the world a stinking, radioactive rock, devoid of all life except cockroaches, it will continue for billions of years quite happily without us.

The emotion encapsulated in 'save the planet', is a mourning for our probable coming loss.

There's no paradox at all in the Fermi Paradox.

Many Deep Ecologists would like to save the planet from humans.

Yeah, it's probably a good thing all the species don't get to vote one species off the "island"
Gee, I wonder which species that would be.
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#23  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 25, 2020 5:13 am

TopCat wrote:
Blackadder wrote:I think it was George Carlin who said (I paraphrase) that people who keep talking about "saving the planet" are idiots. "The planet" he said, "will be just fine. It was here for a long time before the human race and it'll carry on when we are gone. So don't worry about the planet. Worry about the human race, because we are fucked."

When people say "save the planet", they mean "save the planet for us humans, so that we can continue to enjoy its beauty in the way we did before it became obvious that we were shitting in our own beds, destroying everything else we value first, and then finally ourselves".

Not many are so dumb that on some level they don't realise that even if we destroy ourselves and leave the world a stinking, radioactive rock, devoid of all life except cockroaches, it will continue for billions of years quite happily without us.

The emotion encapsulated in 'save the planet', is a mourning for our probable coming loss.

There's no paradox at all in the Fermi Paradox.

Well that and all of the stuff we take with us in the process.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#24  Postby OlivierK » Jan 25, 2020 7:43 am

ronmcd wrote:
aufbahrung wrote:There is hope.

No there isn't. Doomed.

Cadbury Creme Egg curry is now a thing -

As are Lamington-flavoured crisps:

We're definitely in the End Times.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Fallible » Jan 25, 2020 10:27 am

:ill:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Ironclad » Jan 25, 2020 6:07 pm

That's actually fucking disgusting.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Hermit » Jan 25, 2020 6:41 pm

Ironclad wrote:That's actually fucking disgusting.

What else do you expect from an American junk food company?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Blackadder » Jan 25, 2020 9:17 pm

TopCat wrote:

Well to be fair, George Carlin was a comedian, and the comment was not supposed to be taken seriously, being a part of a humourous stand-up comed...ah fuck it. Never mind.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Alan C » Jan 27, 2020 8:03 am

We could ease the pressure by putting some humans on Mars. I nominate sending far-right Republicans and Tories on a one-way fact-finding trip, starting with Dumpf and BoJo.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Svartalf » Jan 27, 2020 9:40 am

Well, the basic idea is good, but we have no experience at sending people abroad on the kind of scale needed to so a proper job of exploring a whole planet, albeit a small one...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby newolder » Jan 27, 2020 10:11 am

Alan C wrote:We could ease the pressure by putting some humans on Mars. I nominate sending far-right Republicans and Tories on a one-way fact-finding trip, starting with Dumpf and BoJo.

+ all those who are serious about "leaving Europe" of course.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#32  Postby Tortured_Genius » Jan 27, 2020 10:43 am

OlivierK wrote:

We're definitely in the End Times.

Those things are deadly: BBC News - Woman dies in Australia Day lamington-eating contest
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Caper » Jan 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Svartalf wrote:Well, the basic idea is good, but we have no experience at sending people abroad on the kind of scale needed to so a proper job of exploring a whole planet, albeit a small one...

Even better! :grin:
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs