Erdogan calls Dutch government 'Nazis'

After Turkish foreign minister's plane prevented from landing

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Erdogan calls Dutch government 'Nazis'

#1  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Oh boy. Erdogan never learns.

Erdogan calls Dutch government 'Nazis' after Turkish foreign minister's plane prevented from landing in Netherlands

Mevlut Cavusoglu vowed to address crowds despite Rotterdam council cancelling rally

The Netherlands has withdrawn permission for a plane carrying Turkey’s foreign minister to land in the country ahead of a rally supporting expanded powers for Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The Turkish President responded by comparing the Dutch government to Nazis while addressing a rally of supporters in Istanbul.

“You can stop our foreign minister's plane all you want, let's see how your planes will come to Turkey from now on,” Mr Erdogan told booing crowds.

“They do not know politics or international diplomacy…these Nazi remnants, they are fascists.”

More...

Wilders was going to lobby the meeting. Also many Turks who live here came because they were threatened by the Turkish authorities and many still are by Erdogan's agents. They were terrified also of the consequences of the rally.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Erdogan calls Dutch government 'Nazis'

#2  Postby tuco » Mar 11, 2017 1:49 pm

All cancellations have cited safety and administrative issues but the move has been linked to concern over the post-coup crackdown seeing thousands of people detained in Turkey, including a Die Welt journalist jailed on terror charges after reporting on government corruption.

“You can stop our foreign minister's plane all you want, let's see how your planes will come to Turkey from now on,” Mr Erdogan told booing crowds.

If you manage replace "Nazi" tourists with Russain, maybe.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 11, 2017 6:31 pm

tuco wrote:
All cancellations have cited safety and administrative issues but the move has been linked to concern over the post-coup crackdown seeing thousands of people detained in Turkey, including a Die Welt journalist jailed on terror charges after reporting on government corruption.

If you manage replace "Nazi" tourists with Russain, maybe.

Nah, they were already relying on European tourists to replace the Russian ones they pissed off last year.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Mar 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Hence my comment. Turkey-Russia relations are difficult and stuff like this makes them bit easier.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby felltoearth » Mar 11, 2017 7:11 pm

I love when leaders object to the inevitable consequences of their own behaviour.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » Mar 11, 2017 9:52 pm

I find it interesting that the title, the important thing, is that someone called someone else something but why and how it happened with some future outlook seems not. Then again, I only find it interesting because I have irrational faith in hairless monkeys.
tuco

Print view this post

#7  Postby aban57 » Mar 11, 2017 10:49 pm

This coming from a guy slowly turning his own country into a fascist theocracy. Rich.
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby mindhack » Mar 11, 2017 10:50 pm

It´s apparently a big thing over where I live here in Rotterdam.

I hear the constant sound of helicopters flying and Turk citizens claxoning.

Geo-politics has landed in my decor.
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#9  Postby aban57 » Mar 11, 2017 10:50 pm

And by the way, thanks to you guys, the fucker is now in France, in Metz. Thanks for the gift !
aban57

Name: Cédric

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10  Postby mindhack » Mar 11, 2017 10:56 pm

Erdo is fueling some sort of precedent... Oh wait,...
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#11  Postby mindhack » Mar 11, 2017 10:57 pm

Ambulances...
mindhack

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#12  Postby tuco » Mar 11, 2017 11:17 pm

All cancellations have cited safety and administrative issues

So gatherings of Turks are safety risks?

Waiting for analysis to be blown away lol

This is gonna be as rich as a Somali citizen.
tuco

Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 12, 2017 9:06 am

Many Turks are terrified of Erdogan. He has his thugs all over Europe. People with families back in Turkey are very vulnerable.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby tuco » Mar 12, 2017 9:40 am

Right to gather is one of basic rights in democracy. Some (gatherings) are subject to administrative process: notification, approval/permission, etc.

Now is there safety risk, in allowing such (Turkish) rallies, or:

Anti-Islam politician Geert Wilders has attempted to capitalise on the controversy with Turkey, leading a small protest outside the country's embassy and calling Mr Erdogan a “dictator”.

“Leave us alone, lobby in your own country, and stay away,” he said ahead of Mr Cavusoglu's planned rally. “We would not allow lobbying for North Korea or Saudi Arabia in our country either,” he added, calling for the entire Turkish cabinet to be declared “persona non grata”.

?
tuco

Print view this post

#15  Postby tuco » Mar 12, 2017 11:53 am

Turkish family minister returns to Turkey from Germany after being deported from Netherlands

Sayan Kaya, who had arrived from Germany by road, was intercepted by Dutch police late on March 11 near the consulate building hours after Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu’s flight clearance to Rotterdam was cancelled over “security” and “public safety” issues.

Dutch police later used water cannon and horses to break up the protests following the minister's leave.

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkis ... sCatID=351

Working as intended, “security” and “public safety”.

https://twitter.com/drbetulsayan?lang=en
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 12, 2017 11:55 am

Strangely I cant access that server. Forbidden. :what:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby tuco » Mar 12, 2017 11:58 am

lol

Again and again I am disturbed how many are willing to compromise declared values when its for perceived, alleged or real greater good.
tuco

Print view this post

#18  Postby Pulsar » Mar 12, 2017 2:45 pm

tuco wrote:Right to gather is one of basic rights in democracy. Some (gatherings) are subject to administrative process: notification, approval/permission, etc.

With rights come responsibilities. You only get permission to gather if you're able to meet public safety regulations. The Turks refused that and decided to threaten the Dutch with sanctions, so the Dutch government had no other choice than to call it off.

Also, did you know that it is forbidden in Turkey for a foreign politician to campaign? So why exactly should we allow them to come here to campaign for their dictator?
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Pulsar » Mar 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Meanwhile,

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN16H11G
About 2,000 people were killed and entire neighborhoods razed in southeastern Turkey in 18 months of government security operations characterized by massive destruction and serious human rights violations, the United Nations said on Friday.

The U.N. human rights office said in a report on the period July 2015-December 2016 that up to 500,000 people, mostly Kurds, had been displaced, while satellite imagery showed the "enormous scale of destruction of the housing stock by heavy weaponry".

U.N. investigators documented human rights violations including killings, disappearances and torture, often during curfews lasting several days at a time.

U.N. human rights chief Zeid Ra'ad al Hussein said in a statement that Turkey, which denied access for the investigators, had "contested the veracity" of the allegations.
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20  Postby tuco » Mar 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Pulsar wrote:
tuco wrote:Right to gather is one of basic rights in democracy. Some (gatherings) are subject to administrative process: notification, approval/permission, etc.

With rights come responsibilities. You only get permission to gather if you're able to meet public safety regulations. The Turks refused that and decided to threaten the Dutch with sanctions, so the Dutch government had no other choice than to call it off.

Also, did you know that it is forbidden in Turkey for a foreign politician to campaign? So why exactly should we allow them to come here to campaign for their dictator?

What is forbidden in Turkey is irrelevant to what is forbidden here. Its exactly this attitude I was referring to in my last post.

Did you know torture is allowed in whatever .. bla bla bla? Exactly the same kind of fallacious argument.

Now, how the Turks refused to meet public safety regulations? I have not see any information in this regard.
tuco

Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs