EU watch

News from the EU

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

EU watch

#1  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2019 2:05 pm

European Parliament backs legislation to reduce CO2 emissions by 2030

MEPs pushed forward this week with legislation that would set a higher target for CO2 reductions for new cars and encourage member states to call for retrofits of old vehicles.

If passed by the European Council, the measures would aim to reduce emissions in new cars by 37.5% and vans by 31%, in time for a 2030 deadline. MEPs backed the proposal in a vote of 521 to 63 with 34 abstentions.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: EU watch

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 29, 2019 2:14 pm

There's something about the words 'target' and 'encourage' that don't fill me with confidence.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby ronmcd » Mar 29, 2019 2:21 pm

There's something about the word 'EU' that fills me with sadness, as we are dragged out because of internal Tory politics and bloodletting.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2019 2:24 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:There's something about the words 'target' and 'encourage' that don't fill me with confidence.

Standard EU newspeak. They actually are a stronger version of the normal English version. Something to do with having so many languages. The Dutch words are stronger. English trying to be a bit reserved maybe.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 29, 2019 2:25 pm

ronmcd wrote:There's something about the word 'EU' that fills me with sadness, as we are dragged out because of internal Tory politics and bloodletting.

Dont worry Ron you will be back in as soon as you have left.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Animavore » Mar 29, 2019 2:26 pm

Article 13: A guide to the new EU copyright rules and the ban on memes

What is Article 13?

The European Union has passed a wide-reaching update to copyright laws, the first since 2001. Most of the changes in the EU Copyright Directive are uncontroversial, setting out how copyright contracts are managed and licensed, but Article 13 could have a huge impact on how material is shared online. Put simply, it makes websites responsible for ensuring that content uploaded to their platforms doesn’t breach copyright. The updates will become law once member states enshrine the rules in legislation in their own countries.

...bunch of other stuff...

Why is it controversial?

How long have you got? Users say the rules risk killing off vibrant internet culture, such as memes, which often repurpose unlicensed material. And the legal status of streamers, who post videos of themselves playing video games online, is in question.

Website owners aren’t required to install content monitoring software to detect copyright material, but practically it will be impossible to guarantee a site isn’t infringing the rules without this software.

“It’s very hard to make these tools identifying content, because they can’t identify context, and so they make decisions that are likely to be bad,” says Jim Killock at the Open Rights Group, a UK digital rights campaign group. Users would risk having their content removed by overzealous bots.

While Article 13 also requires site owners to implement a complaints process to deal with disputed decisions, Killock says this is unlikely to fix the problem. “Our experience pretty much everywhere is people generally don’t complain. They worry about the effects on their reputation, worry about the legal ramifications, so these tools would have a chilling effect.” Rather than risk further sanctions, users may simply stop making content for online publication.

Although websites less than three years old, or with less than €10 million annual turnover are exempt, the websites will still need to plan for when those caveats no longer apply to them.

cont. https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... -on-memes/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:There's something about the words 'target' and 'encourage' that don't fill me with confidence.

I suspect such usage comes from the legislative structure of the Union: drafting, proposition, review, and adoption. This is a proposition as I understand it.
Last edited by tuco on Mar 29, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#8  Postby tuco » Mar 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Animavore wrote:
Article 13: A guide to the new EU copyright rules and the ban on memes

What is Article 13?

[snip]

cont. https://www.newscientist.com/article/21 ... -on-memes/

Yeah, I took note which ones of Czech motherfuckers voted for it. Who do they represent?

---
edit: one of our MEPs, a communist one .., voiced that some media representatives suggested to them that if they will not vote for it, they will be blocked from their platforms. Perhaps a stretch but .. fuck you.
Last edited by tuco on Mar 29, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#9  Postby fisherman » Mar 29, 2019 2:43 pm

Are the co2 targets based on known technology, that make the targets achievable?
fisherman

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Svartalf » Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm

no, they seem to be chosen specifically with the knowledge that they are beyond our ability to achieve, so every nationalist politico can then bash The EU later for being inefficient and tyrannical.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs