Extinction Rebellion are on point.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#121  Postby newolder » Apr 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:
Seeing as there's no credible evidence that man made global warming is real, by default they fall back on being nothing more than silly hippies. Besides it's all moot anyway as they're very quickly becoming yesterday's news.



http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2691886

:whistle:


Happy caek day!

I got confused by thinking about the CO2 produced in baking and I've opted for a spear bagel. Dig in!

Image

Note post is on topic coz it's in current affairs and includes stuff about a greenhouse gas. :snooty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
User avatar
newolder
 
Name: Albert Ross
Posts: 7037
Male

Country: Feudal Estate number 9
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#122  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm

newolder wrote:

Note post is on topic coz it's in current affairs and includes stuff about a greenhouse gas. :snooty:



Cos I'll fart after trying to eat that bagel? :grin:


:cheers:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#123  Postby Pridefel Knowitelz » Apr 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Sorry but I'm accustomed to having real one on one conversations. If you feel the need to defend your position to a complete stranger, at least do so in your own words. I don't think that's too much to ask for, but equally if you don't want to bother that's fine too. No one is forcing you to do anything you don't want to do.
The burden of proof falls on the ,,,theist.
All ha ...rump.
User avatar
Pridefel Knowitelz
Banned Troll
 
Posts: 134

Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#124  Postby Arcanyn » Apr 26, 2019 10:07 pm

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:
tuco wrote:There are two issues, whether they are a bunch of hippies with nothing better to do or not, and whether what they are saying is based in reality or not. Personally, I don't care who they are because why should I? They could be a bunch of fucking wankers or bankers with nothing better to do than to rob people for all I care. I care however about biodiversity because I have good reasons to do so.


Seeing as there's no credible evidence that man made global warming is real, by default they fall back on being nothing more than silly hippies. Besides it's all moot anyway as they're very quickly becoming yesterday's news.


None apart from the simple fact that carbon dioxide traps heat, something which can easily be verified by anybody with access to carbon dioxide, glass bottles and a couple of thermometers. Still, I guess it is a bit of a crazy notion to suggest that putting a substance that traps heat into the atmosphere might cause the atmosphere to trap more heat - what next, people suggesting that if you pour water on things it'll make them wet?
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
User avatar
Arcanyn
 
Posts: 1468
Age: 35
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#125  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 26, 2019 11:15 pm

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:Sorry but I'm accustomed to having real one on one conversations. If you feel the need to defend your position to a complete stranger, at least do so in your own words. I don't think that's too much to ask for, but equally if you don't want to bother that's fine too. No one is forcing you to do anything you don't want to do.


:lol:

So you're going to put zero effort into knowing anything at all, and then use your ignorance of the subject to maintain your ill-informed belief! :grin:

Good old cognitive bias eh? In one easy step we go from...

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2691868

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:Could you provide some evidence? I don't need a huge list of links, just one or two.


To me now having to defend climate change 'in my own words'. :doh:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#126  Postby THWOTH » Apr 27, 2019 6:26 am

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:
Seeing as there's no credible evidence that man made global warming is real....

How might we falsify that hypothesis?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37109
Age: 55

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#127  Postby Pebble » Apr 27, 2019 7:02 am

THWOTH wrote:
Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:
Seeing as there's no credible evidence that man made global warming is real....

How might we falsify that hypothesis?



Not sure that rejection of the evidence - without evidence is not exactly a hypothesis. I suspect PK would not read the actual studies that demonstrate anthropomorphic impact on climate, but could at least glance at the consensus summary.

https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/
Pebble
 
Posts: 2812

Country: UK
Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#128  Postby Hermit » Apr 27, 2019 7:28 am

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:Seeing as there's no credible evidence that man made global warming is real...

Cool story. Write a novel about it. Here's the outline:

Image
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3579
Age: 66
Male

Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#129  Postby Svartalf » Apr 27, 2019 8:17 am

THWOTH wrote:
Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:
Seeing as there's no credible evidence that man made global warming is real....

How might we falsify that hypothesis?

by proving that climate and related phenomena have not evolved at all in the last century or two and that the extreme weather experienced in recent years is par for the course.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
User avatar
Svartalf
 
Posts: 1923
Age: 50
Male

Country: France
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#130  Postby tuco » Apr 27, 2019 8:18 am

Extinction Rebellion: Did Banksy join climate activists? - https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48064132

"Looking into it" :)
tuco
 
Posts: 15453

Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#131  Postby Pridefel Knowitelz » Apr 27, 2019 10:06 am

Hermit wrote:
Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:Seeing as there's no credible evidence that man made global warming is real...

Cool story. Write a novel about it. Here's the outline:

Image


Still no evidence.
The burden of proof falls on the ,,,theist.
All ha ...rump.
User avatar
Pridefel Knowitelz
Banned Troll
 
Posts: 134

Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#132  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 27, 2019 10:24 am

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:Still no evidence.



Not sure if you're just used to conversing with simpletons or something, PK but....

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2691886

A thoroughly comprehensive review of the physical basis for the UN's position on climate change
https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

The Royal Society of Science:
https://royalsociety.org/~/media/policy ... unique.PDF

The scientific evidence is now overwhelming that the climate is warming and that human activity is largely responsible for this change through emissions of greenhouse gases.

...

Any international policy response to climate change must be rooted in the latest scientific evidence. This indicates that if we are to have a reasonable chance of limiting global warming in this century to 2°C relative to the pre-industrial period, we must transition to a zero-carbon world by early in the second half of the century.

To achieve this transition, governments should demonstrate leadership by recognising the risks climate change poses, embracing appropriate policy and technological responses, and seizing the opportunities of low-carbon and climate-resilient growth.



22 Commonwealth Countries Consensus Statement on Climate Change

https://royalsociety.org/-/media/news/2 ... h-2018.pdf

The consensus view of the global climate science communitybased on currentevidence is that avoiding the worst impacts of climate change will require concerted global action to reduce atmospheric carbon.A target to limit warmingto below 2°C above pre-industrial levels was recognised by 160 nations that ratified the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change; a bold and vital step towards addressing climate change.Meeting this target will requireachieving net-zero global greenhouse gas emissions in the second half of the Centuryfollowed by active decarbonisation of the atmosphere



You can put your fingers in your ears and shout LA LA LA... but that only means you're unwilling to review the evidence, not that ample evidence hasn't been given to you on a plate. Everyone here is adequately competent when it comes to seeing through people who want their uninformed opinions to trump reality.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#133  Postby Hermit » Apr 27, 2019 10:40 am

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:Seeing as there's no credible evidence that man made global warming is real...

Cool story. Write a novel about it. Here's the outline:

Image


Still no evidence.

I did not actually claim there was evidence that man made global warming is real, so there's nothing I need to prove. You, however, claim that there is no credible evidence that man made global warming is real. It's up to you to prove it. So I'll just wait patiently for you to provide substantiation for your assertion that there is no credible evidence that man made global warming is real.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Posts: 3579
Age: 66
Male

Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#134  Postby Macdoc » Apr 27, 2019 10:57 am

:popcorn:

Y'know it's been a while since the disappearing species clima mutatio negator put in an appearance.

Ever since Exxon acknowledgement and funding cuts and The Berkeley faceplant by WUWT, there seems a remarkable lack of sustenance for the poor mutants. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Macdoc
 
Posts: 16813
Age: 72
Male

Country: Canada/Australia
Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#135  Postby Pridefel Knowitelz » Apr 27, 2019 2:42 pm

Hermit wrote:I'll just wait patiently for you to provide substantiation for your assertion that there is no credible evidence that man made global warming is real.


Let me see if I understand. When a person makes an assertion that there is no credible evidence for something, they have to substantiate that assertion? The reason I ask is because if the answer is yes, then I'd love to skip this conversation and have a much more interesting one elsewhere about God.
The burden of proof falls on the ,,,theist.
All ha ...rump.
User avatar
Pridefel Knowitelz
Banned Troll
 
Posts: 134

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#136  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 27, 2019 2:43 pm

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:
Hermit wrote:I'll just wait patiently for you to provide substantiation for your assertion that there is no credible evidence that man made global warming is real.


Let me see if I understand.


No. Let me see. Nope. You don't.

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:I'd love to skip this conversation


Because you see that you've grabbed the short end, again. A pattern is emerging.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29222
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#137  Postby Pridefel Knowitelz » Apr 27, 2019 2:46 pm

There I was thinking that it was climate change believers that had to prove their position.
The burden of proof falls on the ,,,theist.
All ha ...rump.
User avatar
Pridefel Knowitelz
Banned Troll
 
Posts: 134

Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#138  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:There I was thinking that it was climate change believers that had to prove their position.


You say you were thinking, but you were just opining. Your kind of opining shows not much thinking.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Fay Smask
Posts: 29222
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#139  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:Let me see if I understand. When a person makes an assertion that there is no credible evidence for something, they have to substantiate that assertion? The reason I ask is because if the answer is yes, then I'd love to skip this conversation and have a much more interesting one elsewhere about God.



Again, you misunderstand.

What was actually said is that when someone makes a claim, the burden of proof rests with them.

So when you claimed there is no credible evidence for man-made climate change, that is a claim which you would need to substantiate. Setting aside, of course, that you made that claim after being spoon-fed vast tracts of empirical evidence which has convinced national science academies the world over that man-made climate change is evident, so your argument was clearly bunkum from the outset.

How would you do this? Well, you could cite the findings of national science academies confirming your contention. Of course, they disconfirm it as they state the exact opposite, but in theory that would be a potential way you could substantiate your reckless assertion.

Whatever Hermit's position is, he/she made no actual claim, and therefore isn't obliged to substantiate something just because you pulled a bait and switch on them.

Feel free to go and start your God thread, but I fear it's going to be lacking any content like most of your posts to date.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#140  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Pridefel Knowitelz wrote:There I was thinking that it was climate change believers that had to prove their position.



You mean like citing evidence from national science academies across the world all of which confirm that the evidence shows that man-made climate change is happening?

Like that kind of 'proof'?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27415
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest