Extinction Rebellion are on point.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#41  Postby BlackBart » Apr 03, 2019 6:29 pm

:awesome:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby felltoearth » Apr 04, 2019 12:29 am

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 05, 2019 9:42 am

minininja wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:How the fuck did they get in there, and so many?!!?!?!

It's a public gallery, and they were wearing clothes when the went in.

I didn't know there is a public viewing gallery. It's a wonder this kind of thing doesn't happen every day, over this or that issue....perhaps AGW really is an issue unlike any other :smoke:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Evolving » Apr 05, 2019 10:16 am

I think it really is an issue unlike any other (it's not just climate change, but also biodiversity and regenerative culture).
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 15, 2019 8:57 am

The "week of rebellion" has begun with xr actions taking place in cities around the globe! In London 4 bridges are to be blocked around the clock, I gather. Note to self - make an effort not to get nicked kir.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell play people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Animavore » Apr 15, 2019 1:42 pm

Only rebellion will prevent an ecological apocalypse.

Had we put as much effort into preventing environmental catastrophe as we’ve spent on making excuses for inaction, we would have solved it by now. Everywhere I look, I see people engaged in furious attempts to fend off the moral challenge it presents.

The commonest current excuse is this: “I bet those protesters have phones/go on holiday/wear leather shoes.” In other words, we won’t listen to anyone who is not living naked in a barrel, subsisting only on murky water. Of course, if you are living naked in a barrel we will dismiss you too, because you’re a hippie weirdo. Every messenger, and every message they bear, is disqualified on the grounds of either impurity or purity.

As the environmental crisis accelerates, and as protest movements like YouthStrike4Climate and Extinction Rebellion make it harder not to see what we face, people discover more inventive means of shutting their eyes and shedding responsibility. Underlying these excuses is a deep-rooted belief that if we really are in trouble, someone somewhere will come to our rescue: “they” won’t let it happen. But there is no they, just us.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sobedience
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 15, 2019 6:34 pm

I met somebody today who made a similarly annoying claim of hypocrisy, stating: "XR use spraypaint, isn't that bad for the environment?!" - I'd heard this line before and replied "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs." That was the end of that conversation. Handed out abt 400 flyers and 400 stickers, did a lot of talking to doubters/objectors too, hopefully they're a bit less so now. Unfortunately I'm a fucking idiot and so failed to foresee my standing around in the sun all day and so took no precautions and now have pretty severe sunburn. Oh well, you can't make an omelette without...no, already said that : D same again tomoz most likely.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Animavore » Apr 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Is spraypaint bad for the environment these days? No one uses CFC any more.

According to the Bloomberg chart aerosols have a slight cooling effect on the Earth.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015 ... the-world/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 15, 2019 7:21 pm

You may well be right Ani, but even if u r I think I'd use the "eggs" line again so as to avoid coming across as a clever clogs to genpop and, far worse still, possibly implying all sacrifices need not be taken in order to further the causes. Interesting science though : ) eta I hate using this fiddly phone to post.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 16, 2019 10:02 pm

There was a delightful moment on talkradio (the UKs answer to FOX IMO) where the ignoramus cunt host Mike Graham turned furiously on the station's "on the ground reporter who's been infiltrating and monitoring XR" when said reporter basically said, live, he was now down with XR and to hell with the station's prescribed stance (AGW threat is a load of baloney). Mike Graham also said in the live interview that the science was with him, unlike we "XR bozos." Not scientists like Stephen Hawking and David Attenborough eh Mike, but proper scientists like you and yours who left school at 16 etc presumably.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 17, 2019 12:53 am

Note to self - don't worry about getting nicked when I go back there tomorrow, unburdened of my "holiday" clutter and prepared for that eventuality....I run out of allopurinol, I run out of allopurinol. A little pain and suffering never hurt anybody.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#52  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 18, 2019 3:12 am

talkradio also has George Galloway on it so its hardly Fox News
But why listen to it if you think it is FN ? Other radio stations are available too you know
Please do not get arrested - do what the JW do - just stand there silently - seriously man
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#53  Postby Alan B » Apr 18, 2019 8:11 am

I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Ironclad » Apr 18, 2019 9:54 am

:nod:
Less bipeds, more bacon. Win/win
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks

Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Bahrain (bh)
Print view this post

#55  Postby tuco » Apr 18, 2019 12:42 pm

As far as I can tell, been listening to stuff on radio, interviews with people present included, you guys are doing good job.

While arrests would surely make it more attractive for media and their consumers, spectacles .., I tend to agree with surreptitious57 advice. Stick in there, mate, for the rest of us, but dont endanger yourself or anyone else. The lost profits are a small price to pay from where I sit. We have the means, and they are not grounded in regulating reproduction ... for the x-th time, to secure this piece of rock for future generations.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 18, 2019 3:27 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47976184

Sir David Attenborough's got your back.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#57  Postby tuco » Apr 18, 2019 4:37 pm

.. conditions have changed far faster than I ever imagined

and similarly fast has changed public perception.

To know good is to do good; to do bad is merely to be ignorant of the good, to paraphrase Socrates, and that is why I believe ER is doing a good job. Kind of optimistic view of the hairless monkeys but what else?
tuco

Print view this post

#58  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 18, 2019 4:45 pm

tuco wrote:
and similarly fast has changed public perception.

True, but public perception doesn't seem to be spurring political practice anywhere nearly as fast as needs be.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#59  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 18, 2019 4:50 pm

''In 2009, Labour MP Colin Challen, Chair of the all party group on Climate Change, sponsored EDM 2057, signed by John McDonnell, Jeremy Corbyn and Dianne Abbott, asking “That this House recognises that there is a climate emergency and that the catastrophic destabilisation of global climate represents the greatest threat that humanity faces.” It called for a number of radical measures, including the cessation of all domestic flights, and the creation of a million green jobs by the end of 2010. John McDonnell retabled a slightly modified version in 2012, which “remains the most radical statement on climate change within a parliamentary context”

Apocryphal, but probably true IMO.

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#60  Postby minininja » Apr 18, 2019 7:24 pm

Yeah, here it is.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs