Extinction Rebellion are on point.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#581  Postby Fallible » Jan 05, 2020 11:37 am

Macdoc wrote:Observation boyo....I back up my observations....you?? ....not so much

Are you denying you are conflating two completely different issues??
Or just dodging the point :coffee:

Boyo?? Fuck right off.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#582  Postby Hermit » Jan 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Fallible wrote:
Macdoc wrote:Observation boyo....I back up my observations....you?? ....not so much

Are you denying you are conflating two completely different issues??
Or just dodging the point :coffee:

Boyo?? Fuck right off.

You misunderstood. Macdoc was not being ill mannered. "Boyo" is a sign of respect among joyriders. Example: "Wow! This rider did well today. Rode to the Skybury lookout, took some photos of a white-bellied cuckoo shrike on the way and was back home by 4:30. A 526 kilometres roundtrip, and managed all that despite nursing a sore shoulder. A real boyo, that one. Would like to get my daily rides up near 500 km myself before my daughter arrives later in the month."
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#583  Postby tuco » Jan 06, 2020 8:06 pm

So .. what is the moral of the story here?

Started with flying vs SUVs, however, I think for me its .. not to tell personal details to people especially online. Anything one says can and most likely will be used against her/him ;)
tuco

Print view this post

#584  Postby Macdoc » Jan 06, 2020 11:36 pm

I have a very public profile and don't really give a fuck about the chattering class opinion.

The climate wars online tend to toughen one's skin tho most of those have died down since the fossil fuel funds dried up.
Still a few pockets around especially USAians. I remind them it's the kids that will suffer from their dithering and outright denial of the reality.

The sun hanging low in the sky becomes muted and the land takes on a decidedly apocalyptic feel. Everything is brown, grey, white, and eerie. My son again rubs his eyes and coughs hoarsely, the noxious ether filling his pink lungs. I better get him home.

My son’s voice is filled with youthful protest and disappointment as we ride home, but he doesn’t yet understand the emergency that is unfolding. His will ultimately be the generation to properly tackle the challenge of climate change, of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption, while those who came before them merely bickered as to its existence.

good read and heartfelt
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contrib ... tside.html
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#585  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 06, 2020 11:58 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattering_classes

The chattering classes is a generally derogatory[1] term, coined by English journalist Auberon Waugh,[2] often used by pundits and political commentators to refer to a politically active, socially concerned and highly educated section of the "metropolitan middle class",[1] especially those with political, media, and academic connections.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#586  Postby Macdoc » Jan 07, 2020 12:01 am

aw only that derogatory ....maybe have to up the vitriole. :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#587  Postby felltoearth » Jan 07, 2020 2:50 am

Whoosh
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#588  Postby Fallible » Jan 07, 2020 11:32 am

Up the what?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#589  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 07, 2020 12:22 pm

I so wish I was old. This is the self-righteous delusion my mother enjoys (and, tbh, she's not old yet.)

My father, for all his faults, is informed and doesn't make excuses. He does a pretty good job of reducing his footprint. He's still a wealthy person in a rich country though so, compared to the rest of the planet, has a high consumption lifestyle.

I'll still die younger than both of them due to environmental degradation.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

This action extinction rebellion Gloucester are planning...

#590  Postby Keep It Real » Jan 31, 2020 10:41 pm

As briefly discussed at last night's meeting here's a mok-up I've flung together of our action idea for Cheltenham races. I personally think it has the potential to be EXTREMELY striking and powerful action, which is of course the most important thing. Could be staged at the racecourse, and/or airport, and/or in town. Perhaps this could be an XR Gloucestershire action? The more "evil personifications of Chelt Races with cotton wool in their ears" (like the monopoly man pictured) we can put together the better, and XR Gloucester is comparatively short on active members so we could pull this off much better as an XR Gloucestershire action I think. And, no I will not be listening to the screaming koalas until I have to. Thoughts? Solidarity, X.

Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Re: This action extinction rebellion Gloucester are planning...

#591  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 01, 2020 1:52 am

I think this is an extremely exciting thread....yet no comments :thumbs down:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#592  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 01, 2020 2:48 am

Can we merge this with the other XR thread? No point in cluttering up the forum.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#593  Postby jamest » Feb 01, 2020 4:00 am

I think that the general populace has no trust in the various governing bodies that run/rule our lives anymore, nor any confidence in their own power to change the status quo, to the extent that we just want to get armageddon over and done with now.

Look at what Donald Trump has said recently about global warning, and he's likely going to be re-elected. You're wasting your fucking time, squire. Enjoy the end times to the best of your abilities, for nothing substantial will be done until armageddon is universally recognised to be a current event. By then, it will be too late anyway.

Only a world-changing VIOLENT revolution has the potential to usurp cunts like Trump et al, but that's not going to happen is it?

You're wasting you're fucking time, pal. Firing a pea-shooter across the Atlantic aimed towards Trump, is not something I'm going to invest in.

We need a proper rebellion. A world rebellion against the likes of Trump and his fucking puppets, either local or overseas.

That would require quite some organising, but it is possible.

If you hear of any cunt interested in such a scheme, gimme a yell. But don't bore me with your pea-shooters any more.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#594  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 01, 2020 6:28 pm

we

Citation, please?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#595  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 04, 2020 9:55 am

Flyer design I've cooked up:

Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#596  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 04, 2020 2:38 pm

jamest wrote:I think that the general populace has no trust in the various governing bodies that run/rule our lives anymore, nor any confidence in their own power to change the status quo, to the extent that we just want to get armageddon over and done with now.

Look at what Donald Trump has said recently about global warning, and he's likely going to be re-elected. You're wasting your fucking time, squire. Enjoy the end times to the best of your abilities, for nothing substantial will be done until armageddon is universally recognised to be a current event. By then, it will be too late anyway.

You are exaggerating the inevitability of Armageddon, as do many, some because it allows them to keep shitting all over their moral duty to live as green as they can and "fight the power" as best they can. I'm not saying that's your reason jamest, just that I despise that "throwing in the towel" escapism. The climate crisis is extant in the zeitgeist as never before - in other words there is hope - but only if people all do their bit.

jamest wrote:Only a world-changing VIOLENT revolution has the potential to usurp cunts like Trump et al

And you base this conclusion on? Couldn't an improvement in education and reduction in apathetic avoidance, for example, also do the job?

jamest wrote:You're wasting you're fucking time, pal. Firing a pea-shooter across the Atlantic aimed towards Trump, is not something I'm going to invest in.

We need a proper rebellion. A world rebellion against the likes of Trump and his fucking puppets, either local or overseas.

That would require quite some organising, but it is possible.

If you hear of any cunt interested in such a scheme, gimme a yell. But don't bore me with your pea-shooters any more.

The zeitgeist is the target, not Donald Trump's forehead via a sniper rifle. Violence is not the answer, in my view, and, in fact, it virtually never is. Call me a hippy, call me an idealist, but climate activists must hold the moral high ground in not regressing into atavistic thuggery in an attempt to achieve our goals.

ETA: the word "virtually" - I would not be an automatic conscientious objector, for example.
Last edited by Keep It Real on Feb 04, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#597  Postby Svartalf » Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm

especially since, if violent elimination of toxic politicians was the answer, you'd have to resort to mass massacres...
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#598  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 04, 2020 8:29 pm

How many many murdered politicians doth a massacre make I wonder...I mean, I'm sure there're tons of good ones...Molly Scott Cato springs to mind.... :think:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#599  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 04, 2020 8:32 pm

Here's one of her beaming after enthusiastically agreeing to wear the XRGloucester patch I made : D
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#600  Postby Keep It Real » Feb 04, 2020 8:51 pm

I suppose she's technically out of a job now, post brexit. On the plus side, for her, she'll no longer have to commune with the UKIP types in her day job.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs