Extinction Rebellion are on point.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#641  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 03, 2020 12:19 am

It's hard to imagine anyone having so little idea how stupid the things they say are, but you are named gobshite after all.

Gobshite
Loud-mouthed person who talks a lot, but nothing with any value

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=gobshite

Yup, looks about right. Have fun jerking yourself off, I'd rather watch paint dry.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#642  Postby gobshite » Mar 03, 2020 1:38 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:It's hard to imagine anyone having so little idea how stupid the things they say are

Yet you can't explain how they are allegedly stupid other than stating that your opinion is "obvious". You need to learn how to debate properly, bro.
gobshite

Print view this post

#643  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 03, 2020 1:42 am

:lol:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#644  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 03, 2020 5:56 am

gobshite wrote:You need to learn how to debate properly, bro.

What debate are you hoping to promote? It's not as if XR is asking our permission before they stage a demonstration.

With every post like this you are exposing previously-untapped wellsprings of narcissism. You're only begging someone to validate your feelings about the effectiveness of civil disobedience in accomplishing a goal you have failed to specify. If you corrected that, you might have a better outcome when attempting to instruct others on how to conduct a debate.

Your confusion about the difference between ranting and debating goes right along with your confusion about the concepts of necessity and sufficiency. If the outcome you seek is increased awareness of climate threats, you've already been asked how much more aware the general public could be made. The result of disrupting commerce is to punish people for engaging in it.

I predict that improving spring weather will increase the frequency of XR climate protests, at least if the COVID epidemic does not put too much of a damper on things.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#645  Postby gobshite » Mar 03, 2020 6:09 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
Your confusion

There's no confusion (other than perhaps by you, going by that random post). I'm simply asking him to reason out his opinion and address my and other's points without engaging in hyperbolic rhetoric.
gobshite

Print view this post

#646  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 03, 2020 6:17 am

gobshite wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Your confusion

There's no confusion (other than perhaps by you, going by that random post). I'm simply asking him to reason out his opinion and address my and other's points without engaging in hyperbolic rhetoric.

Is there some preexisting condition that excuses you from that same obligation?
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Mar 03, 2020 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#647  Postby gobshite » Mar 03, 2020 6:19 am

:lol: If you want to point out where I've been hyperbolic, or haven't provided reasoning for my opinion, go ahead.
gobshite

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#648  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 03, 2020 6:22 am

gobshite wrote::lol: If you want to point out where I've been hyperbolic, or haven't provided reasoning for my opinion, go ahead.

Try to remember; this is where you came in on the latest round of engaging in hyperbolic rhetoric:

gobshite wrote:
You've correctly identified why civil disobedience like what XR engages in might be necessary to bring about change.

There's no obligation on anyone's part to address your hyperbolic opinion about what might or might not be deemed necessary by you. I mean, to bring it back into focus, what fucking change are we talking about here? Answer that and we'll begin to see how very hyperbolic your rhetoric is. It's not as if no one has ever seen your tactic of staying continuously on the attack:

Cito di Pense wrote:
gobshite wrote:You need to learn how to debate properly, bro.

What debate are you hoping to promote?

I asked you what condition excuses you from even establishing your position, let alone justifying it. I think what we'll find is that you assume your position has already been established by others, and that you're just standing on the sidelines waving your pompoms and your megaphone.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Mar 03, 2020 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#649  Postby gobshite » Mar 03, 2020 6:38 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
gobshite wrote::lol: If you want to point out where I've been hyperbolic, or haven't provided reasoning for my opinion, go ahead.

Try to remember; this is where you came in on the latest round of engaging in hyperbolic rhetoric:

gobshite wrote:
You've correctly identified why civil disobedience like what XR engages in might be necessary to bring about change.

There's no obligation on anyone's part to address your hyperbolic opinion about what might or might not be deemed necessary by you.

You need to find a dictionary and reacquaint yourself with what "hyperbolic" means. :roll:

In general I don't know what point you are trying to make by butting in here. Are you butthurt that I showed your mate up for having no clothes on?
gobshite

Print view this post

#650  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 03, 2020 6:46 am

gobshite wrote:
You need to find a dictionary and reacquaint yourself with what "hyperbolic" means. :roll:

In general I don't know what point you are trying to make by butting in here. Are you butthurt that I showed your mate up for having no clothes on?

Using the term butthurt in a conversation like this one is plenty hyperbolic enough. Take your sanctimonious, illiterate shouting to the comment threads of youtube politics videos.

If you don't understand what point I'm trying to make, you can always (as SAM recommended) work on your reading skills.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#651  Postby gobshite » Mar 03, 2020 6:50 am

Looks like butthurt to me. You OK?
gobshite

Print view this post

#652  Postby gobshite » Mar 03, 2020 6:53 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
I asked you what condition excuses you from even establishing your position, let alone justifying it. I think what we'll find is that you assume your position has already been established by others, and that you're just standing on the sidelines waving your pompoms and your megaphone.

I reasoned out my opinion here

Looks like you need to work on your reading skills.
gobshite

Print view this post

#653  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 03, 2020 6:58 am

gobshite wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

This?

gobshite wrote:When you look at the broader picture of a protest action, you can see how an act of disruption can actually lead to greater awareness and support for the protest cause.

* Interestingly, as safe as milk would know if he'd ever been to a protest, not everyone who is disrupted is pissed off about the disruption. It's very common to find supporters amongst the disrupted.

That consists of further ex recto assertions on your part, combined with pure speculation about the effectiveness of disruption. Of course it happens that supporters are among those disrupted, since such disruption cannot be selective. All you have left is speculation about whose opinions will change as a result, and how those changes will only be favorable to your cause.

I think the contrary feedback you've gotten is related to the ratio between those who are simply pissed off by it and those whose opinions will be favorably changed. Carry on splendidly and speculatively, then, and be a true believer in the righteousness of your cause.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#654  Postby gobshite » Mar 03, 2020 7:11 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
gobshite wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

This?

gobshite wrote:When you look at the broader picture of a protest action, you can see how an act of disruption can actually lead to greater awareness and support for the protest cause.

* Interestingly, as safe as milk would know if he'd ever been to a protest, not everyone who is disrupted is pissed off about the disruption. It's very common to find supporters amongst the disrupted.

That consists of further ex recto assertions on your part,

I've stated that this is an opinion, and it's an opinion that I've at least tried to reason out. You'll note (or perhaps not, as apparently you need to work on your reading skills) that SAM ridiculously claimed that his baseless opinion was "fact"! :lol: In other posts that you've failed to read (do you need work on your reading skills?) I made the point that support for action on climate change is growing just as climate protest action is growing. Now correlation doesn't necessarily men causation, but it's at least a point of reasoning. Which is a hell of lot more than SAM, and you, have managed.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in salving your butthurt. SAM and I were done on the conversation, which suited me just fine. i'm not interested in restarting the conversation with him via proxy.
gobshite

Print view this post

#655  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 03, 2020 7:22 am

gobshite wrote:I made the point that support for action on climate change is growing just as climate protest action is growing. Now correlation doesn't necessarily men causation, but it's at least a point of reasoning.

It's a reason to believe. :cheers:

Without conceding your "point", I think people are noticing that climate change is occurring. Some don't care. I hope that these protests help them to start caring, but that is not the same as believing that they will.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#656  Postby Hermit » Mar 03, 2020 7:24 am

Cito di Pense wrote:Using the term butthurt in a conversation like this one is plenty hyperbolic enough.

"Slangy", "colloquial", "earthy" or something like that would be a better description of the word. Regarding "butthurt" as an exaggeration of some other word seems (yes, that word again :P ) like missing the mark, and it definitely won't fit at all as another word for a two-dimensional, cone-shaped curve.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#657  Postby gobshite » Mar 04, 2020 1:02 am

Protest activities might need to be scaled back in the coming months due to possible contagion. However, the reduced manufacturing output from China is probably going to do the job of cutting greenhouse gases for the short term.
gobshite

Print view this post

#658  Postby Cito di Pense » Mar 04, 2020 9:59 am

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:Using the term butthurt in a conversation like this one is plenty hyperbolic enough.

"Slangy", "colloquial", "earthy" or something like that would be a better description of the word. Regarding "butthurt" as an exaggeration of some other word seems (yes, that word again :P ) like missing the mark, and it definitely won't fit at all as another word for a two-dimensional, cone-shaped curve.

It's an exaggeration, given the overall effectiveness of gobshite's rhetorical program. For your information, a 'cone-shaped curve' looks for all the world like the profile of a dunce cap along its vertical axis.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs