Extinction Rebellion are on point.

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Extinction Rebellion are on point.

#701  Postby THWOTH » Nov 01, 2021 7:54 pm

The idea that we can consume our way to a more sustainable planet is a red herring. We can only select what to consume from what the marketplace makes available to us, and besides, if the marketplace was an engine for sensible, let alone moral action, would we be in the position we are today? Framing the issue as if individuals are collectively responsible for reversing global heating through their everyday purchasing choices is simply a way to keep things ticking over exactly as the have been: "It might be the end of civilization as we know it Barry, but there's no reason why we can't turn a healthy profit while we're at it."
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#702  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 01, 2021 9:02 pm

You can't blame the market, Thoth! That... that's blasphemy!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#703  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Nov 01, 2021 9:09 pm

diluting the responsibility in the general population is a bit like homeopathy;
and works just as well.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#704  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 02, 2021 8:43 am

The elimination of a couple of billion people will go a long way toward reducing consumption. Climate change will (at least indirectly) take care of that, eventually. Corollary: Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Anyway, assigning responsibility is just so much moral preening when only you and your close friends accept responsibilty. Accept responsibility locally, assign blame globally. Oh, and... chop wood, carry water.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#705  Postby hackenslash » Nov 03, 2021 7:13 am

You know that thing where some Americans notably have issues with geography..?

hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#706  Postby Caper » Nov 03, 2021 1:23 pm

Could have been worse - could have gone to New Glasgow ... Nova Scotia (latin for New Scotland) ........ Canada!
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#707  Postby The_Piper » Nov 03, 2021 8:34 pm

Kitty! Pet kitty immediately, madam!
That was adorable. :mrgreen:

In fairness, at least CNN knows where Scotland is, which is better than a frightening amount of my countrymen can point to on a map.
Many of them can't even pick out some US states on a map. :picard:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#708  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 09, 2021 7:40 am

The official XR Koolaid or basically spot on?

Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#709  Postby felltoearth » Nov 16, 2021 1:16 am

We are truly fucked.

Vancouver is now completely cut off from the rest of Canada by road
There is currently no way to drive between Vancouver and the rest of Canada.

The Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley are now completely cut off from the rest of British Columbia and the country by road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#710  Postby Alan C » Nov 16, 2021 3:33 am

Damn.

Our major population centre here straddles a narrow isthmus, 2km wide at it's narrowest point.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#711  Postby hackenslash » Nov 16, 2021 9:59 am

Meanwhile, at COP26, solid steps to cut emissions were... rolled back. Essentially, the global North deemed the villain of the piece coal only and decided to prop up oil and gas, which basically puts the onus on the global South to deal with climate change.

It's all over, for me. This was the last chance to take real action. Might as well clog up all the roads with protest now, because we've chosen to die anyway, so a few corpses in ambulances aren't going to bother anyone,
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#712  Postby minininja » Nov 16, 2021 11:56 am

Yeah, there's no choice left but to attempt to organise mass civil disobedience. Too many governments have wasted every chance to do the right thing and have again sided with fossil fuel companies. I've supported XR, mostly from a distance, for a long while, but I'm going to be getting more actively involved from now on.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#713  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 16, 2021 4:10 pm

For me, I am planning to fundraise for citizen-led stuff (i.e. https://teamseas.org/) as relying on elected leaders, whose existence as leaders depends on them playing other games, just isn't going to be enough quickly enough. We will change eventually, but it will just be heel-dragging by vested interests throughout, and then we'll end up being forced to change reactively.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#714  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 16, 2021 7:16 pm

minininja wrote:Yeah, there's no choice left but to attempt to organise mass civil disobedience. Too many governments have wasted every chance to do the right thing and have again sided with fossil fuel companies. I've supported XR, mostly from a distance, for a long while, but I'm going to be getting more actively involved from now on.

I've, in a very sincere way, fallen out of love with XR because I do not think demanding a legally binding Citizen's Assembly on climate change will ever happen, due to, amongst other things, politicians believing in democracy and their careers and that they have egos and so they're incapable of holding up their hands and saying "you're right XR et al - we're incapable of doing our jobs!" At least not before the proverbial plane crashes into the proverbial mountain. On a brighter note however:

Around 60 cars in the city's wealthy West End had tyres deflated by activists who left leaflets on windscreens urging owners to replace their cars with smaller vehicles or use public transport.

The protest was carried out by the group Tyred of SUVs, a spin-off from Glasgow Calls Out Polluters, which has its origins in Glasgow University student climate activism.

Citing figures from the International Energy Agency (IEA), a spokesman for Tyred of SUVs said: "If 4x4 drivers were a nation, they'd be the seventh biggest polluters on the planet.

"If the one per cent won't take responsibility for the climate destruction they wreak, we'll make them."

Its leaflets warned drivers that their car had been "disarmed" by "deflating one or more of its tyres". The group said it had not damaged any vehicles in the action.

"Unnecessary luxury lifestyle choices in rich countries are part of what is driving the climate breakdown," the flyer adds.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/climate-activists-target-suvs-and-let-down-tyres/ar-AAQDt4v?ocid=uxbndlbing&pfr=1
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#715  Postby Alan C » Nov 16, 2021 8:43 pm

Why is fossil fuel subsidised, don't they make enough profits?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#716  Postby don't get me started » Nov 16, 2021 9:07 pm

Alan C wrote:Why is fossil fuel subsidised, don't they make enough profits?

The question probably wouldn't make sense to them.

What do you mean "enough profits?"
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#717  Postby Macdoc » Nov 23, 2021 12:35 am

waking up to nuclear is needed
https://time.com/6117041/nuclear-energy-reactors-green/?utm_source=digg

and of course the power needed to pull carbon from the air.

This should be required reading for everyone on the planet

Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#718  Postby Alan C » Nov 23, 2021 9:11 pm

One issue [besides the obvious one] is the amount of cement involved in building previous designs, new ideas around nuclear energy [like in the start of that piece] might get around that issue though.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#719  Postby Macdoc » Nov 23, 2021 9:48 pm

Cement can be carbon negative.
https://www.greenbiz.com/article/concre ... n-negative

pretty good future cast by WIred from 1997

n a listicle attached to the story, Leyden and Schwartz predicted "ten scenario spoilers" that would "cut short" the economic boom of the 1990s.
– Tensions between China and the US escalate into a new Cold War — bordering on a hot one.
– New technologies turn out to be a bust. They simply don't bring the expected productivity increases or the big economic boosts,
– Russia devolves into a kleptocracy run by a mafia or retreats into quasi-communist nationalism that threatens Europe.
– Europe's integration process grinds to a halt. Eastern and Western Europe can't finesse a reunification, and even the European Unification process breaks down.
– Major ecological crisis causes a global climate change that, among other things, disrupts the food supply - causing big price increases everywhere and sporadic famines.
– Major rise in crime and terrorism forces the world to pull back in fear. People who constantly feel they could be blown up or ripped off are not in the mood to reach out and open up.
– The cumulative escalation in pollution causes a dramatic increase in cancer, which overwhelms the ill-prepared health system.
– Energy prices go through the roof. Convulsions in the Middle East disrupt the oil supply, and alternative energy sources fail to materialize.
– An uncontrollable plague - a modern-day influenza epidemic or its equivalent takes off like wildfire, killing upward of 200 million people.
– A social and cultural backlash stops progress dead in its tracks, human beings need to choose to move forward. They just may not...
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#720  Postby THWOTH » Dec 09, 2021 5:31 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
minininja wrote:Yeah, there's no choice left but to attempt to organise mass civil disobedience. Too many governments have wasted every chance to do the right thing and have again sided with fossil fuel companies. I've supported XR, mostly from a distance, for a long while, but I'm going to be getting more actively involved from now on.

I've, in a very sincere way, fallen out of love with XR because I do not think demanding a legally binding Citizen's Assembly on climate change will ever happen, due to, amongst other things, politicians believing in democracy and their careers and that they have egos and so they're incapable of holding up their hands and saying "you're right XR et al - we're incapable of doing our jobs!" At least not before the proverbial plane crashes into the proverbial mountain. On a brighter note however:

Around 60 cars in the city's wealthy West End had tyres deflated by activists who left leaflets on windscreens urging owners to replace their cars with smaller vehicles or use public transport.

The protest was carried out by the group Tyred of SUVs, a spin-off from Glasgow Calls Out Polluters, which has its origins in Glasgow University student climate activism.

Citing figures from the International Energy Agency (IEA), a spokesman for Tyred of SUVs said: "If 4x4 drivers were a nation, they'd be the seventh biggest polluters on the planet.

"If the one per cent won't take responsibility for the climate destruction they wreak, we'll make them."

Its leaflets warned drivers that their car had been "disarmed" by "deflating one or more of its tyres". The group said it had not damaged any vehicles in the action.

"Unnecessary luxury lifestyle choices in rich countries are part of what is driving the climate breakdown," the flyer adds.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/climate-activists-target-suvs-and-let-down-tyres/ar-AAQDt4v?ocid=uxbndlbing&pfr=1

It's a good first step - but I think a set of keys along with the can-do attitude could've achieved a lot more.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs