Face Masks (COVID-19)

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Face Masks (COVID-19)

#1  Postby Alan B » Apr 02, 2020 10:25 am

The following info came from a Chinese friend of mine (they seem to know about these things).

Face masks can be re-used if treated as follows (this assuumes that they are not physically dirty):
Collect about half a dozen (not more) and put them in a bag. Place them in an oven (NOT Microwave) set to 60 Celcius (140F) for 30 minutes (not more). Wash hands!
When 'cooked' remove them and fold so that the exterior surface (blue) is inside. They will then be ready for re-use.

Edit:
As per Kiore's post below I forgot to mention that this method is not suitable for N95 masks - only the ordinary 'cotton' masks.

If you wear spectacles, it will necessary to use a de-misting spray on them since the mask will cause them to 'mist-up' from your breath.
Last edited by Alan B on Apr 03, 2020 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Face Masks (COVID-19)

#2  Postby Ironclad » Apr 02, 2020 10:46 am

Or hang them up to dry for 72 hours?
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Macdoc » Apr 02, 2020 11:20 am

Likely surgical.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Apr 02, 2020 3:27 pm

Funny, now they're recommending face masks. So either they were lying their asses off at first saying it doesn't help, or they're lying their asses off now in recommending them. Personally I don't see how they won't help, even if it's just to keep you from touching your face.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby NineBerry » Apr 02, 2020 3:31 pm

As far as I understand it, the issue is that the simple surgical masks (or alternatives like scarves, self-sown masks) don't work reliably in a highly contagious environment. So, it won't protect you in a setting where you have to deal closely with a lot of infected persons. The protection they offer in every-day situations like speaking to a person known to be infected is only partial. The western virologists always look at this aspect.

Western thinking is thinking about individuals. But if you apply eastern thinking and think about everyone wearing masks in public, the small protection effects the masks have in individual interactions between persons is multiplied and the resulting effect of slowing the spreading of the virus can be enormous.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby felltoearth » Apr 02, 2020 3:35 pm

Touching your face is common human behaviour, watch is why it isn't a panacea. If you touch your face and eyes and constantly adjust your mask like I saw someone at the grocery store do last week, it's useless.The result is a wasted mask on an idiot and one less mask for a doctor or nurse that needs it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby NineBerry » Apr 02, 2020 3:40 pm

Alternatives to surgical masks can be home-made. Use a scarf or sow your own from a t-shirt. That wouldn't affect professional settings where people need professional masks.

Learning how to correctly use masks could be done. Learning not to touch the masks, when and where to wear them and how to correctly dispose of it when used.

If there was a culture of wearing surgical masks in public as it exists in some Asian countries, there would not be a shortage of such masks. China did not have a shortage of surgical masks in the last weeks, only shortages of the filter masks that offer more secure protection.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Macdoc » Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm

Yep - face masks without eye covering is pretty useless. I snagged 50 on Amazon ( they were gone in 24 hours ) we will see if we get them.
If we do then I'll donate 40 of them to some appropriate care giver and keep a few for staff going out. I re-use mine but I only wore it for the flight home.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby ronmcd » Apr 02, 2020 4:13 pm

I had two masks in my garage sometime recently, the DIY store ones to protect from construction dust etc. Can't even find them now. The bastard spiders have nicked them.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Macdoc » Apr 02, 2020 4:14 pm

Yeah - we had a few around we can't locate :(

I recommend everyone read this to know just how one man erased horrid diseases and saved millions of lives.

Maurice Hilleman's mother died a day after he was born and his twin sister stillborn. As an adult, he said that he felt he had escaped an appointment with death. He made it his life's work to see that others could do the same. Born into the life of a Montana chicken farmer, Hilleman ran off to the University of Chicago to become a microbiologist, and eventually joined Merck, the pharmaceutical company, to pursue his goal of eliminating childhood disease. Chief among his accomplishments are nine vaccines that practically every child gets, rendering formerly dread diseases—including often devastating ones such as mumps and rubella—practically toothless and nearly forgotten; his measles vaccine alone saves several million lives every year.

Vaccinated is not a biography; Hilleman's experience forms the basis for a rich and lively narrative of two hundred years of medical history, ranging across the globe and throughout time to take in a cast of hundreds, all caught up, intentionally or otherwise, in the story of vaccines. It is an inspiring and triumphant tale, but one with a cautionary aspect, as vaccines come under assault from people blaming vaccines for autism and worse. Paul Offit clearly and compellingly rebuts those arguments, and, by demonstrating how much the work of Hilleman and others has gained for humanity, shows us how much we have to lose.

There are a lot of smart people on this one. BTW Pandemic docu on Netflix is also very good.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Fallible » Apr 02, 2020 5:24 pm

Rrrrr....
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Tangerine Dream » Apr 02, 2020 5:39 pm

I wonder if coffee filters could do the trick.
If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Apr 02, 2020 6:30 pm

might as well try pollen filters for vacuum cleaners.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#15  Postby TopCat » Apr 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Surgical masks are not designed to protect the wearer from the environment. They are designed to catch droplets coming from nose and mouth, thereby protecting the environment from the wearer. This is why dentists wear them for instance - so they don't spit in your face.

Given that CV19 is largely spread by droplets coming out of infected people's noses and mouths, it seems like something from the Department of the Bleedin' Obvious to say that if everyone wore them when out and about, it would slow down the spread.

I wrote to my MP pointing this out about a month ago, but received an irrelevant, bullshit reply, making no reference to the obvious truth that we don't have a stockpile of tens of millions of the things, or the organisational will/ability to have factories make them. Obviously we can't buy them at the moment as there is no surplus for the riff raff.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 02, 2020 10:00 pm

NineBerry wrote:Alternatives to surgical masks can be home-made. Use a scarf or sow your own from a t-shirt. That wouldn't affect professional settings where people need professional masks.

The problem is that they are going to be ineffective - they might resolve any social stigma you could receive from not wearing a mask, but chances are they wont do anything else.

The WHO still recommends only using a mask if you care for or live with a person who is sick or is confirmed to have Covid-19, or if you are sneezing or coughing.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby kiore » Apr 03, 2020 2:24 am

Ok so first, don't cook N95's (FFP3) masks otherwise known as respirators to sterilize, they are not meant to be reused so design does not allow for this. They have fine plasticy fibers running through them to screen out particles and these will melt meaning either they won't screen particles well, or possibly you could no longer breath through them. The only reasonable sterilizing is via intense UV light or gas. Leaving them to dry for several days is a last ditch resort and there has been some success with using sterilizing vapors but this very early stages. Masks they are a curse right now, I see people walking around wearing high quality n95s on the street while health workers facing heavy viral loads use surgical masks over top of their n95s to make them last a little longer as they get one a week. Yes many countries in Asia people wear cotton masks as a courtesy to others when unwell and yes probably unwell people should wear something droplet trapping to avoid infecting others so easily. As for actual protection from infection most other kinds of masks are useless, note pictures of the 1918-19 flu outbreak, the most visible feature is the gauze masks everyone is wearing instead of doing other things, possibly useless at best, at worst worse than useless causing more infections as gave false sense of security, people went to movie theatres with masks on.
Masks detract as in 1918-19 from the key messages; do not congregate and wash your hands. I have access to high quality PPE I can choose from 5 sorts of n95 I have available to suit my mood or whatever, but I have avoided wearing an kind of mask outside in public so as not to encourage this habit I wear only when dealing with infected patients when I am not able to effectively use other barriers. If culture changes as it seems likely I have home made some cloth masks to reassure the shop assistant when I go shopping, and in enclosed spaces that can't be avoided then yes everyone would benefit assuming anyone could be infectious from a droplet cover, this has not been in doubt in areas with sustained community transmission.
I see the White House has just decided to make masks recommended, if your feel like it, up to you.. possibly one of the most insipid and useless orders ever given. End result is that people will feel compelled by culture change to wear, or will not be able to enter premises without a bandanna or something over their face. Possible result is that this will make things much worse, people will rely on masks and anyone who has studied health and safety will know that protective equipment is the final resort when dealing with hazards, or possibly even worse the health systems will collapse due to inability to protect health workers causing increased morbidity and mortality.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#18  Postby Hermit » Apr 03, 2020 5:55 am

laklak wrote:Funny, now they're recommending face masks. So either they were lying their asses off at first saying it doesn't help, or they're lying their asses off now in recommending them. Personally I don't see how they won't help, even if it's just to keep you from touching your face.

"They" are right both ways. Face masks do and don't help. It just depends on the mask you use. Mine works a treat. Nobody comes within ten metres of me when I wear it.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby LucidFlight » Apr 03, 2020 7:17 am

Trump says, "If people – as an example, on the masks – if people wanted to wear them, they can. If people wanted to use scarves, which they have – many people have them – they can. And in many cases, the scarf is better. It's thicker. I mean, you can— if you— depending on the material, it's thicker."

Some materials are thinner, but some are thick, very, very thick — I've seen them. Some scarves are thicker and some are thinner, but you can wear them. I've seen people wearing them, a lot of them.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Bubalus » Apr 03, 2020 7:42 am

LucidFlight wrote:Trump says, "If people – as an example, on the masks – if people wanted to wear them, they can. If people wanted to use scarves, which they have – many people have them – they can. And in many cases, the scarf is better. It's thicker. I mean, you can— if you— depending on the material, it's thicker."

Some materials are thinner, but some are thick, very, very thick — I've seen them. Some scarves are thicker and some are thinner, but you can wear them. I've seen people wearing them, a lot of them.

And in Trumps case thicker is better - look who's "president" :naughty2:
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” -Stephen Hawking‏
Bubalus

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs