Father shoots down drone diorectly over his yard

Whilst his daughters sunbathed

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Father shoots down drone diorectly over his yard

#241  Postby The_Piper » Sep 07, 2015 2:55 pm

:lol: Did you make that?
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#242  Postby Fallible » Sep 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Yar!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#243  Postby Teague » Sep 07, 2015 4:50 pm

Fallible wrote:Image

That's what Lak said already!

Oh u made it! lol
Teague

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#244  Postby Alan B » Oct 11, 2015 1:04 pm

TVNewsroom
Trio Of UK Companies Develop A Drone-Freezing Ray

Called the Anti-UAV Defence System (AUDS), Liteye Systems’ anti-drone laser is certainly not what you would consider portable, though it certainly looks like a weapon, with desert camouflage, a targeting system and what looks like a rifle barrel. The AUDS uses the radar and optical trackers connected to proprietary software to detect, track, and identify the drone at distances of up to 8 km (5 mi).

If the system works, maybe the White House should invest in one. A similar incident occurred at the presidential residence in January. And camera-toting drones hovering over private homes have been derided as both a security and privacy concern for residents.

Sophisticated, easy to fly drones are everywhere these days and like most new technologies, they have the potential for mischievous or malicious applications as well as positive ones.

But a recent deluge of complaints from pilots, as well as U.S. Forest Service employees who have spotted the flying bots, near wildfires, has led the FAA to take further action against rule-breaking drone operators.

Well, Yes. But what concerns me is if it could be adapted or re-designed or scaled-up to down or divert a military drone on its way to a target.
Edit
Jesus H Christ :doh: The telegraph calls it a 'Death Ray' :crazy:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#245  Postby tolman » Oct 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Alan B wrote:Well, Yes. But what concerns me is if it could be adapted or re-designed or scaled-up to down or divert a military drone on its way to a target.

I'd have thought most military drones were sufficiently autonomous not to be particularly bothered by brief interruptions of signal. Even if they don't know precisely where they're going in the medium term, in the short term they're probably just flying forwards and would continue to do so with brief losses of signal and I assume would likely have return-to-base functionality in the case of sustained signal loss.
They also often fly fairly high, and potentially have directional antennae or work with multiple frequency bands or some kind of spread-spectrum communications.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#246  Postby Alan B » Oct 11, 2015 4:18 pm

Yep. That had occurred to me afterwards. They wouldn't just use a single comms. link. They must have some sort of autonomous guidance.

But even so, can you imagine airports, for instance, around the world 'shooting down' or disabling any home-drones as soon as they came in sight? Could be dangerous to those on the ground.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Alan B » Oct 11, 2015 4:29 pm

On second thoughts, there's something that doesn't seem quite right about that picture. Can you focus radio waves down a long tube as depicted? Like light rays? Every system I know of has to use some sort of parabolic dish.

Is this a spoof?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#248  Postby aliihsanasl » Oct 11, 2015 5:48 pm

A few weeks ago someone hovered a drone over Istanbul airport, two planes couldn't land. Guy said he didn't have any bad intention like risking anyone's life.

In my opinion people don't have neither respect for privacy nor security for others life. How he can't know that its risky ? This is worse than pointing laser to pilots eyes.

"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 11, 2015 6:08 pm

aliihsanasl wrote:A few weeks ago someone hovered a drone over Istanbul airport, two planes couldn't land. Guy said he didn't have any bad intention like risking anyone's life.

In my opinion people don't have neither respect for privacy nor security for others life. How he can't know that its risky ? This is worse than pointing laser to pilots eyes.

There's a diubke negative in that post.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#250  Postby tolman » Oct 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Alan B wrote:On second thoughts, there's something that doesn't seem quite right about that picture. Can you focus radio waves down a long tube as depicted? Like light rays? Every system I know of has to use some sort of parabolic dish.

Is this a spoof?

Antennae come in all kinds of shapes including tubular helical ones, but I don't know enough to be able to say what the particular 'tubes' are or are likely to be.

It seems parabolic dishes have to be quite a few multiples of the wavelength in dimensions in order to work.
Last edited by tolman on Oct 11, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#251  Postby Alan B » Oct 11, 2015 6:34 pm

Jesus! Of course! :doh:
Helical Antennas.
Wiki

And I have a Radio Amateur licence! :doh: :doh: :doh:
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs